Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 10:39 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,710,603 times

Advertisements

My rental property doesn't have any window treatment in it. My husband wanted to put blinds in all major window but I don't like blinds (they look too industrial & dirty) and since our initial plan was to live in the house ourselves (not rent it out) I was planning on putting up curtains. I only managed to put curtain in living room large window but that's about it.

I know most landlord put up blinds but I figure if I put curtain rods in place and let the tenants put up their own curtains that match their décor that should be better than putting up blinds? Do I have to put up cheap curtains or is providing hardwire sufficient? What is the reason for majority landlord choosing to use blinds? I understand light is blocked better by blinds but won't heavy curtain do the same?

your thoughts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 10:46 AM

912 posts, read 5,260,182 times
Why not both curtains and blinds?

Old 07-06-2015, 11:00 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,818,359 times
This is one of those where people either love or hate curtains. I hate curtains and ask if I could take them all down. I have done so even after they said they were custom made to the windows, sorry no thanks. (they agreed to let me take them down, if they didn't give me permission, I would have picked another rental.)

Blinds are neutral and can be left as is or have curtains over them. The last few rentals I rented from had 3 inch wood blinds. Loved them.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:28 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
Motherof three ME 2 Cant stand curtains! Blinds only Every Window! Nothing expensive just cheapo blinds

Old 07-06-2015, 12:10 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,702,236 times
Blinds because they are more 'neutral' to people's liking and we always supply an eggshell or off white color. It is way too difficult to pick out curtains that are going to be to everyone's liking and some people just don't like curtains, period. And curtains are extra maintenance to keep them clean and fresh looking as well as to the liking of each tenant.

We supply blinds for every apartment and have never once had a complaint. We even tried curtains along with the blinds a few times and people asked if they can be removed or changed to their liking at our expense so we quit putting up curtains and left the blinds and told tenants they can put up curtains also if they choose to at their own expense.

Heck, we have even tried painting some rooms with light pastel colors and that has even created problems so now we paint everything an eggshell color and if a tenant asks, which very few do, if they can paint the bathroom or kitchen (the smaller rooms only) a light pastel color we will allow it. And it can only be light colors so when they move it only takes one coat of paint to cover it for the next tenant.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:55 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,710,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
told tenants they can put up curtains also if they choose to at their own expense.

My plan was to supply the hardwire and tell tenants to add curtain of their choose. I was wondering if that is acceptable. the house is in a safe neighborhood so i am not worried about empty windows. Is it common courtesy to supply some neutral color curtain?

Sounds like blind would be easier

Old 07-06-2015, 02:01 PM

486 posts, read 653,972 times
Both my rentals have blinds. I let my tenants decorate their home...and it is their home, not just a house they live in. One has horizontal blinds, the other has 3" wood blinds. I don't put up drapery/curtain hardware because I don't know which they'd prefer. I just expect them to take it down and with them when they leave.

I must be doing something right as my current tenants both just renewed their leases for another year.

And for god's sake, don't put toothpaste in the nail/screw holes when you leave. The whole house stank like Crest toothpaste, just nasty, and it was a pain to clean out so we could spackle and repaint.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:05 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,702,236 times
Blinds for sure! The rest is just extra. Just because it is a 'safe' neighborhood has nothing to do with privacy so I would at least supply blinds for sure otherwise you will have tenants drilling holes into the window frames and making a mess.

Trust me, you can NOT always go by what 'you' think tenants will like or what 'your' taste and preference is. You have to find common ground amongst the majority of people. Something 'neutral' and blinds work for the vast majority.

Last edited by Corn-fused; 07-06-2015 at 02:15 PM..

Old 07-06-2015, 02:17 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Landlords put up mini blinds because if they don't, the tenants nail up bed sheets overt the windows.

Cheap curtains look awful and good curtains are quite expensive. How are you going to put up curtains that are to everyone's taste? When I first started owning rentals, I had curtains in my houses. Inevitably (every single time) the tenants would take them down. Then, instead of cleaning them and storing them correctly, they would be dumped in a heap in the garage to end up ruined.

Everyone wants a different color.

You can't even put up curtain rods to everyone's taste. Some people want draw curtains and some people want double curtains with sheers, and some people, will accept plain curtain rods and some people want the expensive fancy ones.

If you buy the really nice expensive curtain rods, there is a risk that they will disappear. If my tenants take down curtain rods, they generally dump them in the garage or put them on a closet shelf, but there is no guarantee that you will find your curtain rods when tenants move out.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:01 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,256,089 times
Blinds are the easiest for rental properties IMO.

If a set gets ruined they are also much cheaper to replace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting