Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 09:08 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,012,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
From what the person is writing she got a full eviction otherwise there wouldn't even be a damage part for which she/he had to pay!

Tenants like that always think that because they feel they are "entitled" they had the law on their side and the LL is a slumlord.

In the end these are what we call "professional tenants" and nothing you want to deal with as it is just wasting energy and costing a LL money.

I applaud LL who go to court as the next LL can easily see this when they conduct a background check and that is also why we do it as it has prevented us from renting to a person with a history like that.

I never heard a tenant with an eviction claim against them that it was solely their fault... have you?
Go back and read the posts. The landlord amended the existing claim. Nothing the OP has said has indicated that the judge has ruled on anything yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 09:21 AM

135 posts, read 257,320 times
I haven't been to court yet. There is a hearing set to determine rent. The lawyer is calling me today after looking over his latest filings, which I might mention are still not signed by an attorney. He either thinks he knows the law, or he is getting very bad legal advice.

Old 08-07-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
From what the person is writing she got a full eviction otherwise there wouldn't even be a damage part for which she/he had to pay!

Tenants like that always think that because they feel they are "entitled" they had the law on their side and the LL is a slumlord.

In the end these are what we call "professional tenants" and nothing you want to deal with as it is just wasting energy and costing a LL money.

I applaud LL who go to court as the next LL can easily see this when they conduct a background check and that is also why we do it as it has prevented us from renting to a person with a history like that.

I never heard a tenant with an eviction claim against them that it was solely their fault... have you?
Yes, actually I have. I've read a lot of them on here, where people simply could not pay their bills and knew it was their fault. In this case, it wasn't my fault, and he is being vindictive. I imagine you would be much like him, and I'd be willing to bet that not many people get a deposit back from you.

There is so much rage and hatred toward tenants in your posts! You really should start meditating or something. Why all the anger? I hope you don't treat your tenants as badly as you treat people here, but since the best predictor of future behavior is past and present behavior, I bet you do. I bet not one person has ever gotten their deposit back from you. I see that all the time here. Stealing rental deposits is like a racket in this town.

Old 08-07-2015, 09:47 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,822,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kassie99 View Post
Yes, actually I have. I've read a lot of them on here, where people simply could not pay their bills and knew it was their fault. In this case, it wasn't my fault, and he is being vindictive. I imagine you would be much like him, and I'd be willing to bet that not many people get a deposit back from you.

There is so much rage and hatred toward tenants in your posts! You really should start meditating or something. Why all the anger? I hope you don't treat your tenants as badly as you treat people here, but since the best predictor of future behavior is past and present behavior, I bet you do. I bet not one person has ever gotten their deposit back from you. I see that all the time here. Stealing rental deposits is like a racket in this town.
You stole the landlords income by not paying rent in July. I guess that's ok though.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
You stole the landlords income by not paying rent in July. I guess that's ok though.
And you have not read the whole thread. Money orders were lost in the mail. I have every intention of paying his rent, and will do so as soon as I can track said money orders and make sure he hasn't already cashed them. I have told him over and over that I would trace them as soon as I can get the money, but honestly, having to take so much time and effort answering unfounded accusations with no basis in law for an unlawful eviction filing is making it impossible for me to work and is making me physically ill. Also, why should I pay him when I don't know if he has or has not cashed the money orders? He isn't a very trustworthy person, has lied to me and about me more times than I can count, and he has a violent criminal history, so why again should I trust him?

I am not a dishonest person. He knows this. I had been asking him all along if he had received the rent yet. Why would I do that if I had not sent it? That would be devious way beyond my moral values. This is pure retaliation on his part because he was angry that I forced him to make repairs.

He has not done one thing yet in this whole eviction that is legal, and he knows that. This is pure harrassment and retaliation on his part. I am not the first tenant who has had serious problem with him, and I won't be the last. Every worker he has had at the house has said that he will not spend the money to fix things properly, and then you never see them again, because they stop working for him. Maybe they never get paid? I don't know, but it is odd, wouldn't you say?

I hope you are a better landlord than this man is. He is ruiining my credit and trying to recoup the monies he spent on repairs from me by falsifying damages, and he knows it. That points to a serious lack of moral character, but what can you expect with someone with a criminal record as long as my arm? It only took me a month to figure out that I was dealing with a slumlord, but I didn't have the money to move and didn't want to lose my deposit. Looking back, I wish I had just written off the deposit and gotten the hell out of there, but hindsight is 20-20, so I'm stuck now with ruiined health, ruined credit and an eviction by trying to do what was right.

I feel sorry for you. Your hatred and rage obviously blind you to the truth that not everyone who is evicted is a bad tenant, or even necessarily guilty of trying to cheat people out of their money. I have an email where he says I was a good tenant because I paid my rent on time and took good care of the property, yet now he's finding all kinds of damages to it? Lies, pure lies. Not all landlords are honest.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:49 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,427,722 times
^^^ Wow - you didn't trace the money orders? It was going to take 3 weeks. You were going to do that long ago and would have had the answer by now.
Sorry - I don't buy that excuse for why you didn't trace the money orders due to being to stressed/too time consuming because of the law****.

tracing the money orders should be your top priority and should have been as soon as the landlord said he didn't get them. You don't just set this issue aside because of the eviction lawsuit when the entire reason for the eviction lawsuit is directly related to the lost money orders. Tracing them could actually prove that he cashed the money orders which would cause them to throw out the lawsuit. And if he didn't cash them, then you can re-issue new ones because you get your money refunded due to them being lost.

Old 08-07-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
^^^ Wow - you didn't trace the money orders? It was going to take 3 weeks. You were going to do that long ago and would have had the answer by now.
Sorry - I don't buy that excuse for why you didn't trace the money orders due to being to stressed/too time consuming because of the law****.

tracing the money orders should be your top priority and should have been as soon as the landlord said he didn't get them. You don't just set this issue aside because of the eviction lawsuit when the entire reason for the eviction lawsuit is directly related to the lost money orders. Tracing them could actually prove that he cashed the money orders which would cause them to throw out the lawsuit. And if he didn't cash them, then you can re-issue new ones because you get your money refunded due to them being lost.
So are you willing to give me the $80 to do it, because I'm on a fixed income and can just pay my bills. Not everybody has money sitting in the bank, or credit cards or people to loan them money! Judge not, lest ye be judged. Oh - and it takes 6-8 weeks, not 3.

Honestly, I get tired of the sanctimonious attitude of people who do not understand what it's like to live hand-to-mouth, day-to-day.

I'm done here. Fight amongst yourselves. I will not stick around to be berated for being poor.

P.S. Guess you'll never know what happens now, since you think you are the judge of all people.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:43 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,012,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
Hey, still waiting for you to admit you were wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post

I don't think it's that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. They still need to have the hearing to determine any rent due and after that the OP will be given time to pay that into the court register. Most likely the court will just direct the OP to cancel the current money order and issue another one to solve the problem.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:48 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,822,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Hey, still waiting for you to admit you were wrong!

I don't think it's that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. They still need to have the hearing to determine any rent due and after that the OP will be given time to pay that into the court register. Most likely the court will just direct the OP to cancel the current money order and issue another one to solve the problem.

It will never happen. I've studied Florida law and you are way off base here. You and the OP will never admit it though. Now go away.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:00 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,427,722 times
It's odd that you aren't tracing the money orders. This is money you already paid and is lost in the mail. If you are short on money, logically, getting a refund of the 'lost' money orders would bring you a large amount of money - which you need. It doesn't make any sense that you would allow this money to be lost in the mail and you don't even start the process of getting a refund for this money. Or, if they really aren't lost, then proving that the landlord cashed the money orders, which would benefit you as well.

Seems real fishy to me that you simply decide not to trace the money orders and allow your lost money to stay lost. That's a whole month of rent that got lost in the mail. Wouldn't you want to start the ball rolling immediately to get that money returned to you from the issuer of the money order. Over a month passes and you aren't making any attempt to chase down your lost money. It's starting to make me wonder if they were never sent to begin with and there isn't any lost money orders. Else you would have jumped through hoops to get the money returned to you asap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting