Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 03:40 PM

741 posts, read 590,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
oh, gee, okay, well that sure makes it all better (NOT!)

How does this comment contribute to the discussion?
Rate this post positively
Quote:
Well, if you are in fact a 'FairmindedLL' then you would know the answer to that question.
Your answer doesn't make sense in the context of my question. I thought that by asking how your original comment contributed to the discussion it would help you see that it was a rude reply. You seem to do that when people either correct your information or point out that you are being rude. Some of your posts are actually very informative and helpful. Why can't you just continue posting the helpful replies and refrain from the rude replies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 03:52 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
It is one thing to express your own opinion (which I still disagree with) but I suggest you not speak for others when doing so.
No, actually, he is expressing the opinion of most landlords in the usa. Most landlords will not accept section 8 Tenants. If landlords everywhere were happy to accept section 8 you wouldn't have states passing laws making it mandatory to accept section 8 as a source of income. You wouldn't see all the housing wanted ads from section 8 tenants who can't find anyone to accept their voucher. You wouldn't see all the anti-section 8 threads on the various landlord forums.

Old 07-23-2015, 04:00 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
No, actually, he is expressing the opinion of most landlords in the usa. Most landlords will not accept section 8 Tenants. If landlords everywhere were happy to accept section 8 you wouldn't have states passing laws making it mandatory to accept section 8 as a source of income. You wouldn't see all the housing wanted ads from section 8 tenants who can't find anyone to accept their voucher. You wouldn't see all the anti-section 8 threads on the various landlord forums.
LAW?? Wow really What state are they that LL need to be Forced ?

Old 07-23-2015, 04:05 PM

My husband and I own a single condo that I manage. Depending on the circumstances, I would be willing to accept the occasional late payment from an otherwise good tenant, if they had the courtesy and forethought to let me know ahead of time so I could adjust my own finances accordingly. But if I have to call them to find out where their check is, or I have to hunt them down after they've promised me the balance on a certain day, that's going to errode some of the good will they've built up with me.

I might be willing to work with a tenant who was experiencing financial difficulties, informed me before the rent was late, and was making a good faith effort to pay their rent. Vacancies are expensive for me and I typically lose 2 months rent in between tenants. I might even let the tenant split the rent up into 2 monthly payments to coincide with their paycheck schedule until they get more solvent. But if I could see it was becoming an ongoing situation because of poor budgeting with no end in sight, and the tenant hadn't given me the courtesy of an explanation as to why they've become a consistently late payer, then I would simply elect not to renew their lease at the end of their contract and look for another tenant.

Old 07-23-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oregonwoodsmoke
When our condo was up for rent, I was asked by a handful of people if I accepted section 8. I told them no initially because I didn't fully understand what it was, but knew enough to know that I had to follow a series of guidelines and become approved before I could accept section 8 tenants. Now that I've read many of the horror stories here, I will never go through the process to accept section 8. My husband and I are small time owners of a single condo unit, and although we screen our tenants pretty carefully, we can't afford the potential financial losses we could face from a section 8 situation that goes south. Any tenant situation carries a certain amount of risk, but section 8 just adds an additional layer of risk I'm not willing to take. Since we only have the one rental unit, Calif doesn't require us to accept section 8 tenants, so why would we open ourselves up to the added risk?

Old 07-23-2015, 04:57 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Turn off utilities gets you EVICTED here! We eat Pastas ALL the time just to get thru a month on SNAP! NOT good for a diabetic. No sure what the neighbors live off of I don't enter there apts to see their pantries.
How would anyone know if the circuit breaker was turned off...

At one time I was caretaker for some cabins... standard practice was to turn off the water main, propane valve and main circuit breakers... we always kept the accounts open... they just showed zero usage.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:02 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairMindedLL View Post
When our condo was up for rent, I was asked by a handful of people if I accepted section 8. I told them no initially because I didn't fully understand what it was, but knew enough to know that I had to follow a series of guidelines and become approved before I could accept section 8 tenants. Now that I've read many of the horror stories here, I will never go through the process to accept section 8. My husband and I are small time owners of a single condo unit, and although we screen our tenants pretty carefully, we can't afford the potential financial losses we could face from a section 8 situation that goes south. Any tenant situation carries a certain amount of risk, but section 8 just adds an additional layer of risk I'm not willing to take. Since we only have the one rental unit, Calif doesn't require us to accept section 8 tenants, so why would we open ourselves up to the added risk?
Over 15 years and 40-170 units (we've grown a lot), we've had about 2 dozen section 8 tenants. We've probably had about 75 or so who got no deposit back at all over all that time, and either were a wash, or owed us some money. But I don't think I have a section 8 tenant in my top 10 worst losses, just FYI.

Puppies, on the other hand, caused #1 and #2. No puppies ever!!!

Old 07-23-2015, 06:16 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
How would anyone know if the circuit breaker was turned off...

At one time I was caretaker for some cabins... standard practice was to turn off the water main, propane valve and main circuit breakers... we always kept the accounts open... they just showed zero usage.
That fine if no one actually not living there... hate my milk to sour

Old 07-23-2015, 08:33 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,020,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Why would they make a partial payment and how long is it going to take to get the remainder of the payment? Is this going to effect them getting the next months payment on time?

Lets say someone has paid their rent for 6 or more months and told me that they would be late that month but would have the money to pay the rent, the late fee, and next months rent then maybe I could give them a pass. They would still need to pay the entire rent though.
I guess I wasn't clear in my OP, but this is the kind of thing that I mean. Not someone who habitually is late, but let's say...a tenant gets paid on the 1st and 15th. He/she has been paying the rent on time for 6+ months. For some reason, the 1st rolls around, and the whole amount is not available. Let's say...the rent is $1,000 a month. The tenant offers $500 on the 1st and says he/she will pay the remaining $500 on the 15th.

Would you rather have $500 on the 1st and $500 on the 15th, or would you rather have the whole $1,000 on the 15th? Or, since you mention next month's rent, would you rather just get $2,000 on the 1st of next month?

If it were me, I'd probably rather have $500 on the 1st, $500 on the 15th and $1,000 on the 1st of next month.

Then, if the tenant does NOT pay the remaining money on the 15th, I can still evict for non-payment, but I have SOME of my money. Plus, I'm going to feel better knowing that the tenant "has a dog in the fight." Basically, he/she paid me SOME money, so that shows me that he/she is probably going to try to stay vs. paying nothing because he/she is trying to stack money to move OR is just trying to screw me completely.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:05 PM

22,822 posts, read 6,432,246 times
We used to take section 8 years ago...they covered the deposit, sent an inspector out to make sure the property
was ready for a tenent..after the tenant left they came back to see any damage that occurred and covered the cost
of repair....Now you have to get the deposit yourself and if there is damage you can try to collect...it's not worth
it.
Partial payments depend on the situation...things do happen, but when there's always a problem or a crisis of
some sort it's not likely to change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting