Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 08:13 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,702,236 times

Advertisements

Wow, he countered it? So how much did he come down on everything and why? That right there should show the judge what this guy is doing and should help your case along with the rest of it especially if the charges are still not justified or chargeable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 02:47 PM

36 posts, read 39,634 times
Hi Corn-fused, yes former LL did counter it. LL originally charged us 8000+, minus our $1800 security deposit, so that brought it down to just over $6000 that LL was asking for. Now LL is down to $5000, but also keeping our $1800 security deposit. It is not explained in the counterclaim why the lower number. In fact, most of the wording seems purposely vague. To me this is a red flag and hopefully the judge sees this (in fact, I'll bring it up) as another issue against former LL.

Today I am getting all my ducks in a row (printing things, getting my photos/videos in order, printing out text message transcript) and making sure I go over all of it meticulously. Really hoping I can return tomorrow to this forum with a good result! Thank you everyone for your help.

Old 09-22-2015, 03:56 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,236,885 times
Remember to arrive early and be prepared to wait a long time, bring a book you don't want to appear annoyed in front of the judge because of the wait time. Don't interrupt or even roll your eyes when your landlord is speaking no matter how much he is lying, very common when people disagree is to express it which can **** some judges off. Speak your piece and let him speak his and remain respectful. Man this was a few months ago and I regret giving you some of the advice I did, which is why you should always consult an attorney, sorry. The judge will decide how much of the floor replacement he can charge you, if any, and the whole ordeal will be over by lunch. Good luck.

Old 09-22-2015, 05:56 PM

Hi AZ Manager, what advice do you regret giving me? I don't feel like I got any bad advice on this forum. I did end up consulting an attorney anyway, and most of what he said completely aligned with what people recommended. We are willing to pay for a portion of the floor replacement, but just not the entire thing.

Thanks for the advice about keeping my face in check - I am definitely an emoter so I'll try to keep it under wraps haha.

Old 09-22-2015, 06:31 PM

Yeah, I am curious also as to what advice he regrets giving you LL was still late no matter how you look at it. So no matter what the LL is now charging you, you should be awarded damages for him being late and come out way ahead. As far as I see with his counter claim, is that the LL is back paddling and trying to minimize his damage before he ever gets to court. No?

Last edited by Corn-fused; 09-22-2015 at 07:02 PM..

Old 09-22-2015, 07:12 PM

Corn-fused, that's how I looked at it too. LL is still definitely late and acknowledged as such in the letter sent via his counterclaim. I would agree that LL seems to be backpedalling and that could be advice from lawyers.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:42 PM

I sure wouldn't worry about it. Just go in prepared, keep it to the point and professional with no emotion and watch him squirm and try to justify his way out of all of this. What he has done thus far is a clear indicator that he is sweating bullets. I think he knows he is going to pay big time with double or triple damage plus the court and attorney costs so he (as I am sure was advised by his attorney) has to come up with something that looks legit to try to mitigate some of that monetary damage.

And that is all just my personal opinion based on everything you have told us. It is not a legal opinion by any means.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:58 PM

No problem, thanks Corn-fused. Really appreciate the opinion. My gut is telling me that my former LL is also thinking that the counterclaim should request an amount to try and soften the blow. Glad you're seeing that too. Thanks!

Old 09-23-2015, 11:25 AM

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

WE WON! We are getting nearly our entire security deposit back! I'm too excited and exhausted from court today to write out all the details right now, but I PROMISE I will give the full story to this forum in asap. Just wanted to get that out there. Thank you to everyone for all the advice and information, it helped point my wife and I in the right direction.

Now to figure out how to get our actual money...

Again, I promise detail will be listed asap. This forum helped me so much, and I want to make sure I give enough details to help anyone in the future who needs help for a similar situation.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:30 AM

YAY!!!! Congratulations! Good for you! Thanks for this update Can't wait to hear the details.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting