Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2015, 05:44 PM

6 posts, read 9,557 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I have a 14 month lease at an apartment complex in Florida and I am currently on month 11. I am planning to move to a new state and I wanted to break the lease early. I talked to the apartment complex, and they said I am required to pay the remaining 3 months OR I can get charged 2 months of rent for a late fee + $170 for EVERY month that I have lived there (11 x $170). As a result, the early exit fee is even more than paying the remaining 3 months.

I tried reasoning with them by stating I would continue to pay rent until they find a new tenant, but they said they would not do that. To keep it "fair," they need to make sure they charge all tenants until their lease is up. I even told them I'd pay two months and give them the key and they could move tenants in any time. They denied that.

I'm moving back to be closer to family and am currently without a job. Is there anyway to get out of this lease without paying the entire remaining portion of the lease?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 05:59 PM

2,557 posts, read 6,458,738 times
Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

That's the applicable part of FL landlord-tenant law. Good reading material, considering your circumstances.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:13 PM

14,561 posts, read 22,957,195 times
Well, there's really not a lot they can do to make you pay. Highly unlikely they'd consider filing suit to recover the money, especially since you're leaving the state.

When are you moving?

Old 07-22-2015, 07:32 PM

6 posts, read 9,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Well, there's really not a lot they can do to make you pay. Highly unlikely they'd consider filing suit to recover the money, especially since you're leaving the state.

When are you moving?
My lease expires the end of October and I plan to be moved out the first week of August.

@EricBoyd According to the management, they are choosing option #3 (do nothing and keep taking payment). Also, it states that for early termination they cannot charge you more than 2 months rent, however, this company wants 2 months rent + the $170, which sounds illegal. That is unless I am interpreting it incorrectly.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:09 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,805,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatsNBeaches View Post
My lease expires the end of October and I plan to be moved out the first week of August.

@EricBoyd According to the management, they are choosing option #3 (do nothing and keep taking payment). Also, it states that for early termination they cannot charge you more than 2 months rent, however, this company wants 2 months rent + the $170, which sounds illegal. That is unless I am interpreting it incorrectly.
Sounds like you were receiving a $170 rent concession. If so, it's usually contingent on you completing the lease. If you do not complete the lease, you owe the concession back. Check your lease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting