Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 11:57 AM

1 posts, read 3,046 times

Advertisements

My (Ontario) lease requires that I move out six days before the end of the month, because I signed it on August 25, 2014. I actually had to pay the prorated amount for August 25, 2014-August 31, 2014. The lease specifically says my lease ends on the 25th.

So can I prorate the rent? I've asked the landord, but as is typical of her, she hasn't bothered replying for over a week now.

She's a bit psycho, has illegally entered my unit before, and has interfered with my property. I'm out of the country at the moment and am afraid she'll trash all of my belongings and abuse my rights, especially since I will be leaving that province (thank God) and won't be able to attend any Tenant and Board hearings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 04:28 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,703,352 times
Based on exactly what you have stated and what you said your lease states, if it were me, I would pay the prorated rent for the month of August. Another way to think about the logic of doing so is that by paying the prorated rent for August then you have paid EXACTLY 12 months of rent and that is EXACTLY what your lease specifies based on the dates and that is EXACTLY what you were legally obligated to do. So even if the LL finally gets back to you and states that you have to pay the full month of August, then they would be wrong.

A 12 month lease term + payments of exactly 12 months rent = exactly 12 months no matter how much anyone may try to slice it up.

Old 08-01-2015, 06:35 PM

784 posts, read 729,262 times
I would talk to the landlord before you do any thing that might jeopardize your deposit. To me, it seems reasonable to do so.

Old 08-02-2015, 05:08 AM

135 posts, read 258,211 times
You said you paid prorated rent when you moved in, right? How was that handled? Did you pay the rent from the 25th to the 30th and then start paying regularly? What day of the month is your rent due? How many full months of rent have you paid? If you have paid 11 full months of rent, then you can prorate the last month. If you have already had the first month prorated, then you cannot.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:49 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,703,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kassie99 View Post
You said you paid prorated rent when you moved in, right? How was that handled? Did you pay the rent from the 25th to the 30th and then start paying regularly? What day of the month is your rent due? How many full months of rent have you paid? If you have paid 11 full months of rent, then you can prorate the last month. If you have already had the first month prorated, then you cannot.
Doesn't make sense. Your analogy would only equal 11 months and 25 days of rent. I do believe you have this backwards.

IF, as OP stated, they paid prorated rent on the front end (8/25 - 8/30) of lease then they should also pay prorated rent on the back end (8/1 - 8/25) of lease so it equals exactly 12 full months worth of rent. They stated their lease runs from 8/25/14 to 8/25/15.

And as far as what day their rent was due, it must be the 1st or why would they even prorate the first month if it was due on the 25th of each month?

Old 08-02-2015, 07:55 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,238,018 times
Hard to give you advice because I am in the US however if you prorated the beginning and the lease ends on the 25th then I would prorate the end too.

Old 08-03-2015, 03:38 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,069,717 times
OP, I would think you'd be able to pro-rate, but your lease may say otherwise.

When I lived in Ann Arbor (college town), the first year of leases were often written for, say, September 1st through August 20th, but you still had to pay full rent for August. They got around it by stating there was an amount of rent due for the entire lease period (even though it wasn't a year), and it was due in 12 equal installments on the 1st of the month. (Seemed really unfair for the first year, but after that you were on a yearly lease, e.g. August 21st to August 20th.)

My first apartment here in New Hampshire, all leases ended on the 28th of a month. The lease was NOT written the way leases were in Ann Arbor, so I pro-rated the rent when I paid for the last month. The management company took the remaining rent out of my security deposit. I wrote and called them for an explanation as to why I had to pay rent for 2 days AFTER the lease ended (in my case, April 29th and April 30th), but I never got a reply, and I was too busy unpacking in my new house to follow up. I still don't know how they got away with it.

What's the language of your lease?

Old 08-04-2015, 11:29 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Canada? Probably unless you are in Ontario oregon.

I don't accept prorated rent for the last month. Just because the tenant says he will be out mid-month doesn't mean he will be. I get the full months rent and return the unused portion.

It's not unusual for tenants to be in a house 2-3 days past their move out date because they underestimated how much work and time it takes to move out.

I'm not your landlord, though, so you'll have to ask your own landlord. I'm not in Canada so I don't even know if your notice was legal, let alone what Canadian law is.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:09 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
I agree with the last poster and we actually had it two months ago and that tenant wanted the pro-rated money back as they were sure they would be out.

We told them when you are completely out we will return it and of course we got the keys back two days after they claimed they would be out.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:42 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,069,717 times
I'm surprised at those who say they want the whole month's rent up-front, then they'll refund anything owed back. If I were a tenant, I'd be annoyed, especially if (say) my move-out day were the 10th but the LL wanted me to pay the entire month's rent on the 1st? Really?

My leases have a "penalty rate" for days beyond the tenants' move-out date, so there aren't too many tenants who would want to pay that, and therefore they move out on time (my most recent tenants were out 4 days early, actually).

OTOH, I have only one rental property, which makes things easier. YMMV.

Again, OP: what exactly does your lease say?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting