Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 10:07 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times

Advertisements

I could get out my tarot cards and ask whether or not you are expected to mow, but it would sure be easier if you just asked your landlord.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 12:27 PM

4 posts, read 3,976 times
Oh I know exactly what he expects, not what I'm really asking. I'm asking, based on his behavior of continuing to use the property like he was prior to renting the guest house and the lack of any specific wording in the lease on yard care, can I tell him to buzz off and leave me alone about this without breaking the lease? I'm buying a house (with little to no yard and desert landscaping) this spring, so I couldn't care less about his reference but I don't need the headache of moving before then.

Old 08-21-2015, 12:49 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,934,552 times
I think the landlord is being incredibly passive aggressive. If you're to mow, he should have put in the lease. Who leaves mowers as a message?

I have rented SFH and the lease clearly said I had to care for grounds so I mowed, raked, etc. I've also rented SFH where the landlord had a service come out and take care of it--- I was told up front. Never had a landlord come into my yard. Never shared land with a landlord, either.

If it were me, I'd ignore him as long as the grass/weeds weren't affecting my enjoyment or attracting unwanted animals. If he specifically asked me to cut the grass then I'd politely say I'm only renting the house and I'd point out his use of the property surrounding the house. Otherwise, I'd leave a note on his door or whatever and tell him the yardwork needed to be done.

Old 08-21-2015, 05:28 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,702,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I think the landlord is being incredibly passive aggressive. If you're to mow, he should have put in the lease. Who leaves mowers as a message?

I have rented SFH and the lease clearly said I had to care for grounds so I mowed, raked, etc. I've also rented SFH where the landlord had a service come out and take care of it--- I was told up front. Never had a landlord come into my yard. Never shared land with a landlord, either.

If it were me, I'd ignore him as long as the grass/weeds weren't affecting my enjoyment or attracting unwanted animals. If he specifically asked me to cut the grass then I'd politely say I'm only renting the house and I'd point out his use of the property surrounding the house. Otherwise, I'd leave a note on his door or whatever and tell him the yardwork needed to be done.
^This!

Old 08-22-2015, 01:16 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,408,574 times
Wink Here is what I would do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remydon View Post
It's not a few weeds, it's an acre of land with a lot of obstacles.

And I don't think it's petty, it is not something I want to do and would not have signed the lease if I thought I was responsible for it. He does not live in the gated portion but otherwise continues to use it like any other part of his property.

Should I recommend he hire a lawn care company if he doesn't want to do it? In my last state every landlord I had always contracted out lawncare, I'm guessing because most tenants don't really care about or want the yardwork. I dunno if this one guy is different or if this "implied" business is the norm out here.

I'd much rather expectations be clearly stated up front so I can walk away or demand a change to the lease before signing.
Tell him you couldn't help but notice the lawn mower and gas can he left on your porch. Ask him if you should call a landscaper, and have the bill mailed to his address, or if he wants to. If it's not in your lease...you are not responsible, he is. If it changes your relationship with him...oh well, it's probably just the first of many issues you are going to have with him.
Koale

Old 08-22-2015, 01:38 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,818,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remydon View Post
Oh I know exactly what he expects, not what I'm really asking. I'm asking, based on his behavior of continuing to use the property like he was prior to renting the guest house and the lack of any specific wording in the lease on yard care, can I tell him to buzz off and leave me alone about this without breaking the lease? I'm buying a house (with little to no yard and desert landscaping) this spring, so I couldn't care less about his reference but I don't need the headache of moving before then.
I would approach him and say, "I noticed you left the lawnmower and gas can by the gate (or wherever). I am confused as there's nothing stated in my lease about mowing the grass and you always seem to be gardening around my house." If he states that yes he expects you to mow etc.

Then say, "No problem, I will mow so you don't have to enter my yard anymore."

If you really don't want to mow, then you can tell him that it's not in your lease and you wouldn't have signed it if you had to mow. And then leave it to him to decide what to do. He can't evict you over the mowing since it's not mentioned in your lease at all. (not even general upkeep section?)

Old 08-22-2015, 02:11 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,506,112 times
Great suggestion from momtothree! I would do that. Just get it out in the open so you can both stop wondering what's going on, and setting the "new" standard all in one fell swoop.

Old 08-24-2015, 03:16 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,983,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I would approach him and say, "I noticed you left the lawnmower and gas can by the gate (or wherever). I am confused as there's nothing stated in my lease about mowing the grass and you always seem to be gardening around my house." If he states that yes he expects you to mow etc.

Then say, "No problem, I will mow so you don't have to enter my yard anymore."

If you really don't want to mow, then you can tell him that it's not in your lease and you wouldn't have signed it if you had to mow. And then leave it to him to decide what to do. He can't evict you over the mowing since it's not mentioned in your lease at all. (not even general upkeep section?)
^^^this^^^

It's all about open and clear and calm communication. The landlord is beginning to act passive-aggressive (his issue, not yours) but you can easily resolve this situation with an actual face to face conversation and sticking to the fact that your lease doesn't state anything about taking care of the lawn/landscaping. You are correct, if you are expected to do that, it should be in the lease... I've seen such provisions and any Judge would concur (nothing is assumed).

Now your objective is to create peace and to perhaps establish a sound relationship going forward, so please remember that when you talk to the landlord (i.e.: don't be snippy; just be matter of fact and casual in tone). You've made it clear to us thread-readers that you don't want to mow, wouldn't have signed the lease if you thought you would have to, and the equipment he has provided is inadequate for doing the job anyway (in your opinion).

This could strain your relationship with the landlord so be certain to have a fall-back plan if he sticks to his guns, that perhaps he "assumed" you would cut the grass on your side to help him out. He's an old dude, he may just want help. I don't know anything about you, your health, time constraints, etc... but a part of me wants to tell you what I've learned in my many decades of life: Sometimes you should just help someone because you can and it's the right thing to do. Whether that applies to this situation is up to you, but please, think carefully on it.

Old 08-24-2015, 03:59 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,349,093 times
OP,

My guess is that you guys are neck-deep in weeds in northern New Mexico if you've been getting half the rain we have over here on the Texas South Plains. I personally would not like to mow any acre anywhere with a push mower and especially in rocky northern NM.

It sounds like both you and your landlord (LL) are trying to avoid a sticky situation. Like the others here who recommend you talk to your LL immediately, I agree. Resolve the issue soon or you and your LL chance losing your business relationship to the possibility of growing hard feelings.

As a former LL, I had a similar situation in a small west Texas town not far from Clovis, NM. We had a city lot that consisted of about 2.5 acres. The house, in which I lived, was located on the front half and the rest was an RV rental lot with its own access. My leases were normally month-to-month but each one always spelled out that the renter was responsible for maintaining the grounds to that half-lot. The area was clearly defined on a map in the lease paperwork. However, most of my renters never had riding mowers, or even self-propelled mowers, so I nearly always had to use my small tractor with a mower to keep the weeds knocked down in wet years. The point here is that the lease spelled at the onset who was ultimately responsible for mowing. As a LL, I tried to always promise my tenants less than what I ultimately planned to give them. That worked well for most of my tenants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting