Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 02:59 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,890,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Until their Pit rescue attacks a kid and you are named in the lawsuit, and your insurance doesn't cover your loss...
Anyone can sue anyone in this country, but what are the chances that the judge would find me (and not the pit owner) guilty?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 03:27 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Anyone can sue anyone in this country, but what are the chances that the judge would find me (and not the pit owner) guilty?
The judge? Its your 12 peers that you have to worry about.

Old 09-01-2015, 04:25 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Actually fairly high. It is your property and you are permitting a known-to-be-dangerous dog to live there. It's the legal doctrine of deepest pockets. Fairness rarely intrudes into lawsuits.

I suggest that you call your insurance agent and ask him what would happen if the pitbull living in your rental unit savaged a neighbor's child.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:26 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,890,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Actually fairly high. It is your property and you are permitting a known-to-be-dangerous dog to live there. It's the legal doctrine of deepest pockets. Fairness rarely intrudes into lawsuits.

I suggest that you call your insurance agent and ask him what would happen if the pitbull living in your rental unit savaged a neighbor's child.
I don't permit nothing, my r/e management company does. And I can always say that this or that breed was never discussed with me. Now, the question to all home owners, are you safe from a law suit if you clearly stay that you don't allow any breeds, but you tenant brings in a home alligator and don't notify you? If you apply the same logic that landlord is responsible for anything, then no matter what you do, if it happened, you'd be guilty.

I googled it up, and found this article - http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...hapter4-7.html
================================================== =========
In general, courts hold a landlord liable only if the landlord:
  • knew the dog was dangerous and could have had the dog removed; or
  • "harbored" or "kept" the tenant's dog—that is, cared for or had some control over the dog.
[skip]

Actual knowledge.
To be held liable, a landlord must actually know that a tenant's dog is a danger to others. In practice, that means the landlord must know that the dog has already threatened or injured someone.

So, again, don't ask, don't tell.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:30 AM

912 posts, read 5,261,323 times
That article was pure cringe to be honest.

If a potential tenant shows up and hands me a "pet resume" and refers to their dog as a "furkid" Id realize this person is insane and I'd probably not do business with them.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:08 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
I don't permit nothing, my r/e management company does. And I can always say that this or that breed was never discussed with me. Now, the question to all home owners, are you safe from a law suit if you clearly stay that you don't allow any breeds, but you tenant brings in a home alligator and don't notify you? If you apply the same logic that landlord is responsible for anything, then no matter what you do, if it happened, you'd be guilty.

I googled it up, and found this article - Landlord Liability for Tenants' Dogs | Nolo.com
  • "harbored" or "kept" the tenant's dog—that is, cared for or had some control over the dog.
[skip]

Actual knowledge.
To be held liable, a landlord must actually know that a tenant's dog is a danger to others. In practice, that means the landlord must know that the dog has already threatened or injured someone.

Ignorance doesn't make a good excuse. Nor is it a good defense strategy.
The article made some good points on how to possibly convince a LL to accept a pet. But if the guy is adamant about not accepting from the ad move on.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:27 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,675,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
I'd actually be really irritated by someone who used this strategy. We don't deny for aggressive breeds for no reason. We've been directly told by multiple insurance companies that if a tenant has an aggressive breed dog, the home insurance may be dropped. If an incident involving the dog happens, the insurance company will deny coverage and then drop the homeowner's policy.

So if someone wasted my time meeting them at the property without telling me they had an aggressive breed dog, I would not only not rent to them, I'd be angry. This is one example of why we now require full applications before we will even make an appointment to show a property.
Just to let you know, I have had rottweilers and have had both homeowner's and renter's insurance that covers them. They are out there. I can't remember which one, but one company offers insurance for any dog that passes the Canine Good Citizen test, which is kind of a big deal.

I got a big shock a while back when I went to rent a house and was refused because of my dog. I even secured renters insurance that covered my dog, but that did not help.

I did research and found that if a tenant's dog injures someone, the landlord is not held responsible unless, a) the landlord knew the dog was dangerous, or b) the dog was in the landlord's care. Still, that doesn't help because if there is a lawsuit over a dog bite, the landlord gets named in the suit. When everything washes out, the landlord will not be held responsible, but he or she will have to pay their attorney thousands of dollars in the meantime.

So, I get it.

Everything about pet ownership is way out of hand. I used to live in a city where 200 animals were brought into the shelter every day. Dog ownership needs to be a privilege, complete with responsibilities on the part of the owner.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:51 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
Just to let you know, I have had rottweilers and have had both homeowner's and renter's insurance that covers them. They are out there. I can't remember which one, but one company offers insurance for any dog that passes the Canine Good Citizen test, which is kind of a big deal.

I got a big shock a while back when I went to rent a house and was refused because of my dog. I even secured renters insurance that covered my dog, but that did not help.

I did research and found that if a tenant's dog injures someone, the landlord is not held responsible unless, a) the landlord knew the dog was dangerous, or b) the dog was in the landlord's care. Still, that doesn't help because if there is a lawsuit over a dog bite, the landlord gets named in the suit. When everything washes out, the landlord will not be held responsible, but he or she will have to pay their attorney thousands of dollars in the meantime.

So, I get it.

Everything about pet ownership is way out of hand. I used to live in a city where 200 animals were brought into the shelter every day. Dog ownership needs to be a privilege, complete with responsibilities on the part of the owner.
Unfortunately, these days when a lawsuit happens everyone gets named.

Old 09-12-2015, 07:03 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,258,709 times
Unless your dog kills someone, all the hype about losing your life savings because your dog bit a child is only media blather.
Also, if you have a "dangerous breed" try to soften it.s appearance (pink collars, bows, groomed fluffy... etc).
Lastly never ever ever admit to it being the dangerous breed in question. Deny deny deny! Can.t run a DNA freakin' test!!!!
Show pictures, have landlord meet the dog, etc.. Socialize the hell outta the dog first though! Never try to sneak one in: that only ends badly.
SOURCE: my real life experiences renting with a bully breed and discussions with police captain in my area.

Old 09-13-2015, 05:55 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:

I googled it up, and found this article - Landlord Liability for Tenants' Dogs | Nolo.com

[skip]

Actual knowledge. To be held liable, a landlord must actually know that a tenant's dog is a danger to others. In practice, that means the landlord must know that the dog has already threatened or injured someone.

Ignorance doesn't make you innocent. It's your unit, you are ultimately responsible for that unit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting