Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 09:12 AM

4 posts, read 3,050 times

Advertisements

I went into a 12 month rental paying months 1-5, 12 and security deposit. Not easy to say the least. I am about to renew the rental agreement for 21 months. What is fair at the signing? Landlord asking for 1st, last and security. I can do 1st and security but would like the last month to be broken up over 3 payments. Is that reasonable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 09:25 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,393,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentishigh View Post
I went into a 12 month rental paying months 1-5, 12 and security deposit. Not easy to say the least. I am about to renew the rental agreement for 21 months. What is fair at the signing? Landlord asking for 1st, last and security. I can do 1st and security but would like the last month to be broken up over 3 payments. Is that reasonable?

Is this new lease with the same LL? If it is why are you paying a new security deposit and last and first month? Your old security and last month still apply. If it's a new lease and he wants new deposits he has to refund the old ones and terminate the old lease before signing a new one.

I personally don't break down any deposits or monthly rent payments anymore. I did at one time, it wasn't a good idea so I don't do it. If you were my tenant your old deposits would apply. I would just extend your current lease by amending the time. And if there were any changes I would negotiate them with you

Old 09-12-2015, 09:31 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,680,851 times
What? So you paid 6 months total rent up front + sec dep for the first 12 month lease? Was that required? That is odd. And now you are about to renew at same apt for a 21 month lease? Why 21 months?

LL already has your sec deposit so you should just have to come up with the 1st and last month rent, if anything. But why is LL asking for first and last month if you are, and have been, already living there?

Old 09-12-2015, 09:42 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,393,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
What? So you paid 6 months total rent up front + sec dep for the first 12 month lease? Was that required? That is odd. And now you are about to renew at same apt for a 21 month lease? Why 21 months?

LL already has your sec deposit so you should just have to come up with the 1st and last month rent, if anything. But why is LL asking for first and last month if you are, and have been, already living there?

I don't know Corn-fused. Not sure why op would have to come up with last month. Again. It's already been paid. Unless op did not pay the last month on the current lease. But that makes no sense. If last month and security have been paid they simply transfer to the extended lease. Unless it's a whole new lease and L.L refunds the old lease deposit and gives tenant the last month free. But if there is no break in the monthly payment LL ends up with double security deposit and two last month rent.

Old 09-12-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I don't know Corn-fused. Not sure why op would have to come up with last month. Again. It's already been paid. Unless op did not pay the last month on the current lease. But that makes no sense. If last month and security have been paid they simply transfer to the extended lease. Unless it's a whole new lease and L.L refunds the old lease deposit and gives tenant the last month free. But if there is no break in the monthly payment LL ends up with double security deposit and two last month rent.
Still shaking my head on this OP There is so much that is odd about this situation.

Old 09-12-2015, 11:15 AM

19,401 posts, read 27,713,645 times
Why am I betting that the security deposit from the first lease was used for rent already?

Old 09-12-2015, 12:23 PM

Tsk tsk... Haha I am current on my rent since day 1. It's a whole house rental which was rented for the first time so these were the conditions of the LL. Oct is the last month that was paid in the beginning so new lease would start in Nov. If I sign the new lease next week for 21 mo.(house was for sale and not sold so owner wants to wait out awhile before relisting) I feel the deposit from old lease should just stay with LL, and I will just continue paying rent starting Oct 1. Which could be considered the "last" month because in essence no rent is due because it was prepaid. To pay 1st and last and then skip November? Although now as I write this, I think a payment would be expected In November as well. Seems silly to me and a headache to come up with the extra funds.

Old 09-12-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentishigh View Post
Tsk tsk... Haha I am current on my rent since day 1. It's a whole house rental which was rented for the first time so these were the conditions of the LL. Oct is the last month that was paid in the beginning so new lease would start in Nov. If I sign the new lease next week for 21 mo.(house was for sale and not sold so owner wants to wait out awhile before relisting) I feel the deposit from old lease should just stay with LL, and I will just continue paying rent starting Oct 1. Which could be considered the "last" month because in essence no rent is due because it was prepaid. To pay 1st and last and then skip November? Although now as I write this, I think a payment would be expected In November as well. Seems silly to me and a headache to come up with the extra funds.
Exactly what we have been trying to say. Your deposit is already paid because it is the same place. Your last month's rent is already paid as long as you continue to pay every month. So that is your sec dep and last month's rent covered. I am confused. So what is your question then?

What is the LL asking you to pay on the lease renewal? If they haven't asked for anything other than the signature for the 21 month lease renewal then I think you are assuming something that isn't even there. Most LL/rental properties don't ask you to pay anything additional on a lease renewal unless they have raised the rent or that your rental situation has changed such as taking in additional people, etc.

Old 09-12-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
Exactly what we have been trying to say. Your deposit is already paid because it is the same place. Your last month's rent is already paid as long as you continue to pay every month. So that is your sec dep and last month's rent covered. I am confused. So what is your question then?

What is the LL asking you to pay on the lease renewal? If they haven't asked for anything other than the signature for the 21 month lease renewal then I think you are assuming something that isn't even there. Most LL/rental properties don't ask you to pay anything additional on a lease renewal unless they have raised the rent or that your rental situation has changed such as taking in additional people, etc.
Thanks for trying to understand all of this. I was asked to sign new 21 mo lease agreement next week and to bring with me first and last months rent. Security from old lease would remain. I would like to just pay October 1. As I would on a normal month. I don't think I should have to come up with ANY extra money to stay I this lease.

Old 09-12-2015, 01:08 PM

Then tell the LL they already have your last month's rent for the new lease because you will continue to pay your rent monthly (October was your last month's rent on old lease so if you pay your October rent then they still have your last month's rent which they are requiring). And they already have your sec dep. Not sure why they want first month's rent for November already but whatever. So 1 month's rent should be all you have to pay but then don't pay November's rent when it comes due.

Otherwise, if they insist on last month's rent (which is ridiculous) it would just be an equal swap of money for last month's rent (if you don't pay October and then turn around and pay it LOL)

Yikes! Now I have myself corn-fused I feel like an Abbott and Costello commentary coming on

Just make sure to get CLEAR clarification from them and that all monies paid are documented and accounted for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting