Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 05:45 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,704,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
You think I dodge personal responsibility, but you're wrong. Dead wrong. We don't create nuisance noise. EVER. Do we walk around our unit? Yes. Do you run the shower, dishwasher, vacuum cleaner and flush our toilets? Yes, we do. Do we watch tv? Do we laugh and play around? Of course we do!! This is our home and these are things normal people do in their home.

Just for the record: We've never had a noise complaint against us and we have kids and a large dog. I do understand your pain, but you need to understand that you will never, ever live in a multi family unit that is 100% silent. You will hear people in the stairs, in the hallways, in the parking lots and yes, you will hear some people in their units.
One thing that would really help when you consistently post on these threads where people are looking for solutions regarding noise that is way above and beyond 'normal' daily living noise but yet not considered 'nuisance' noise by definition of the law, is to not post comments like the above. Posters are well aware that apartment buildings are not 100% quiet and no one has said anywhere that that it was they want or are asking for. Not even close. They are well aware what defines 'normal' daily living noise. This is far beyond that and there should be laws to protect these situations but because there are not, then that is where LLs should be stepping in and being more proactive to eliminate or lessen the problem whether it be speaking with the problem tenants, moving people to better suited apartments or working on or suggesting ways to soundproof the buildings/apartments much better. It would be a win-win for both the tenants and the LLs if the problems are addressed instead of LLs experiencing excessive turn-over and tenant's being unhappy and leaving.

If you have never experienced this type of noise and how traumatic and stressful this can become on a person's psyche over time then I doubt you will ever understand it. It is a REAL problem and there is a reason you continue to see people posting about it.

And telling people to move or purchase their own home are not easy solutions by any means and extremely difficult, if not impossible, for most people. And if they could have done any of that they surely would have by now instead of having to deal with this hell. They are not here complaining just to complain. These are real people with real concerns who are way beyond stressed out already. They want to discuss these issues with people who understand and can empathize with what they are going through and hopefully find solutions that others have had success with.

I have experienced this myself as a tenant and I totally understand what it is like. I also have experience on the property management end and when I show apartments I go through thoroughly with prospective tenants that we are looking for quiet people who respect their neighbors and assure them that they will get the same in return. We have had very few problems, if any at all, and the buildings I manage are now all hardwood floors and not insulated/sound proofed well at all. If we do have a problem we address it immediately and have never had it be an ongoing problem after addressing it.

Last edited by Corn-fused; 09-22-2015 at 06:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 07:30 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
I get it and I do feel their pain. I am not a noisy person and generally like things on the quiet side. If I lived in a building like that, I'd move. I wouldn't continue to drive myself, and the rest of the house, crazy with the noise issue. The op is saying that their neighbors are intentionally making noise, I don't buy that. I think the OP is beyond stressed and needs to consider moving if the landlord won't take care of the issue

If my previous landlord ignored my complaints and got mad if I called the police, I would've move. I would not torture myself just to make a point. Our sanity is worth more than a measly 2 mths rent.

I was so happy when I saw the sheriff come and tape the eviction notice to my neighbor's door. I was beyond elated. The parties this guy would throw were crazy. Every Friday and Saturday night they would party until 5 am. They would be in his unit, in the hall, on the stairwell, in the parking lot and everywhere in between. It was insane. We were all losing sleep and it was affecting our work and our school. The sad part is we were the only unit in the building of 12 units to complain about this guy. They were afraid of making trouble with him.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:28 PM

Quote:
I get it and I do feel their pain. I am not a noisy person and generally like things on the quiet side. If I lived in a building like that, I'd move. I wouldn't continue to drive myself, and the rest of the house, crazy with the noise issue. The op is saying that their neighbors are intentionally making noise, I don't buy that. I think the OP is beyond stressed and needs to consider moving if the landlord won't take care of the issue.
And again, many, MANY people would LOVE to move if they could but despite what you may think, not everyone has that luxury of moving like you obviously can and do. And it is not just the possible 2 month's penalty for breaking the lease which that alone is already very difficult for most. It is also the time, energy and expense to actually move and also come up with the new deposit and many times 1 or 2 month's rent on top of that.

And you can disbelieve the OP all you want on whether people intentionally make noise or not. You aren't there so why judge or make assumptions? People DO actually make noise on purpose sometimes if they are retaliating because someone either complained to management or addressed it with the tenant themselves. I can contest to that myself as well. That is exactly why sometimes in these threads you will see that people are hesitant to address the problem themselves with tenants. It can many times (not always) backfire and end up with the tenant retaliating which only ends up compounding the problem.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:50 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
One thing that would really help when you consistently post on these threads where people are looking for solutions regarding noise that is way above and beyond 'normal' daily living noise but yet not considered 'nuisance' noise by definition of the law, is to not post comments like the above.
I looked over the OP and didn't see where any specifics were given regarding the noises. What noises does the OP hear that are "way above and beyond nomral daily living noise". Since its been said that the apartments has poor sound insulation, it could just be daily living noise. There is not much that can be done about that. People are not going to stop living their lives just because a neighbor has a different sleep/work schedule.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I looked over the OP and didn't see where any specifics were given regarding the noises. What noises does the OP hear that are "way above and beyond nomral daily living noise". Since its been said that the apartments has poor sound insulation, it could just be daily living noise. There is not much that can be done about that. People are not going to stop living their lives just because a neighbor has a different sleep/work schedule.
It was mentioned later in this thread (in this particular thread anyway)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_north View Post
No, it's a combination of the construction and people who know full well they're irritating others but don't make efforts to compensate for the known lack of soundproofing. It makes them uncooperative and selfish. I've seen your posts before and you generally take the route of dodging personal responsibility.

Old 09-23-2015, 04:46 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
The OPs main complaint is that they hear noise during the day. Well, the majority of the world is and running from 0600-2300 (give or take) They chose to work an odd work schedule and can't expect everyone around them to accommodate them because they don't work day shift.

If the OP is having issues sleeping because of 'noise'...noise that hasn't been clearly defined by the OP...then they need earplugs, fans or white noise machines. It's unreasonable to expect a whole building to cease movement for ONE tenant.

The noise hours are clearly defined by their management. 0700-2200. During these hours people can go about their daily living....they can watch TV (that you might hear thru the poorly insulated wall if the TV is on that wall) they can listen to music,(that you might hear thru the poorly insulated wall) they do their workout DVDs,( that you might hear thru the poorly insulated wall). They can also laugh, talk, have friends over, sit outside, and come and go as they please...all noise that you will hear due to poor insulation, windows being open and the fact that 99% of the world is up and awake during those hours.

If the OP has a noise concern after those hours and it's not the noises I mentioned above, then yes, the landlord should be addressing it. But since the OP doesn't work dayshift, they aren't hearing the noises at night so that point is moot.

Old 09-23-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
It was mentioned later in this thread (in this particular thread anyway)
That doesn't mean the noises are "way above and beyond daily living noises". It could mean that the neighbors aren't tip toeing around their homes or only talking in whispers.

Old 09-23-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
That doesn't mean the noises are "way above and beyond daily living noises". It could mean that the neighbors aren't tip toeing around their homes or only talking in whispers.
And it doesn't mean they aren't either.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:57 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,806,896 times
Quote:
The OPs main complaint is that they hear noise during the day. Well, the majority of the world is and running from 0600-2300 (give or take) They chose to work an odd work schedule and can't expect everyone around them to accommodate them because they don't work day shift.
Where did the OP say that they CHOSE to work an odd shift? Many people take the jobs that they can get. Maybe you are lucky and can be choosy about what hours you work, but not all of us are so lucky. If a third shift job is all I can get to pay the bills, that's what I'm going to take.

Quote:
If the OP is having issues sleeping because of 'noise'...noise that hasn't been clearly defined by the OP...then they need earplugs, fans or white noise machines. It's unreasonable to expect a whole building to cease movement for ONE tenant.
Sorry, but I use earplugs AND a large box fan on high and it doesn't drown out most noises that come from adjoining units, thumping bass or anything as such. I see people posting that "solution" so much, but it doesn't solve anything.

I'm sorry you're having this issue, OP. I've dealt with it many times myself. It comes down to a lack of consideration. Nobody cares anymore about how their actions affect others.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
And it doesn't mean they aren't either.
No, it doesn't. But I'm not the one chastising other posters about advice claiming the Op's neighbors are making noises way beyond what is considered normal.

OP has already said there is poor sound insulation, so that is most likely where the problem is. The neighbors should not be expected to stop living their lives just because OP has to work odd hours. They pay rent too and should be able to enjoy their homes without having to worry about their neighbor's sleep schedule. Sorry, but that is not there problem.

The OP needs to find a way to live with the noise by wearing ear plugs, running a fan, playing soothing music/sounds, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting