Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 06:19 PM

8,452 posts, read 14,976,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rant93 View Post
I work from home as a computer programmer.
In my town, even home-based businesses require a business license. Is one required in your area? If required, and you don't have one (which may include paying local business taxes), that may not help your situation, either
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 11:24 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,327,907 times
Quote:
I work from home as a computer programmer. I like to be outside, so work at a desk in a Costco-style carport tent in my backyard. Across the street, my neighbor has a similar carport in the same place so this is not an issue. Somebody told my landlord that someone is living in a tent in my yard so she came by to see for herself today, with my permission and blessing.

She was pretty put off by the fact that I am working out here: "this yard isn't really intended to be used as an office." Finally it came down to the extension cord that comes out here being a hazard in her opinion, especially once it begins to rain.

She's told me that she will be sending me an addendum to my agreement that specifies that I will need to vacate my outside office by November first and throughout the "rainy season."

Is this something that they can dictate or enforce?

Thanks
I agree that you would have to agree to sign any addendum. But, I think she's being quite fair. She didn't say take it down immediately.

Why not look into a portable power pack? You could take it in with you to charge overnight, then use it in your carport when you're working. No plugs that could short out. You could ask her if that would be acceptable.

But, she could probably find something in the lease, as someone else mentioned that she could point to if she wanted you to take it down altogether. If she's only worried about the power cord, though, ask her about getting a portable power source. Not a generator, as they're noisy and smelly. Something like this:

Amazon.com: Duracell 600 Watt Powerpack Pro: Automotive

If you're just running computers, something like that might do the trick.

Try working with her on solutions to whatever her objections are.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:26 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,330,089 times
Quote:
I like to be outside, so work at a desk in a Costco-style carport tent in my backyard.
I bet your neighbor has a car under it, not a desk. I too would have complained if you were my neighbor. Go inside like a normal person and do your work by the window. That tent and desk is an eyesore.

Old 09-28-2015, 01:13 PM

912 posts, read 5,244,036 times
I for one would like to see images of this car-port/outside desk area.

It must look horrible to be causing such a ruckus. Maybe replace the ugly boxy desk with some nice outside furniture and comfy lounge chairs and you are good to go.

I would LOVE to be able to work outside on my computer when the weather is nice.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:31 PM

296 posts, read 529,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Yep! You live in a Residence ...place would need Rezoning for Business.
False.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:53 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,419,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I bet your neighbor has a car under it, not a desk. I too would have complained if you were my neighbor. Go inside like a normal person and do your work by the window. That tent and desk is an eyesore.
This^^^. I would complain also if you were my neighbor.

When it's nice out and people want to work outside, they haul out their laptop and sit in the sun. They don't put up a carport sized tent and haul out a desk to put under it. Working in front of an open window will have the same effect as working under a tent.

Old 10-02-2015, 03:23 AM

581 posts, read 661,349 times
OP, it's probably and eyesore for the neighbors and the landlord. She probably wants it down because of that. The power cord argument is just an excuse that she's using to get you to take it down.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:23 PM

14,561 posts, read 22,988,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Yep! You live in a Residence ...place would need Rezoning for Business.
What people need to understand though is that working from home and operating a business out of the home to the extent that the zoning laws come into play are very different concepts. The way the OP describes it, he is doing the former and that is really his own business. There is actually case law in many states which has made it clear that the distinction exists and the landlord cannot prohibit someone working from the residence when it is in the telecommuting form.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting