Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 10:43 PM

6 posts, read 11,624 times

Advertisements

im having the same issue, i make like 4 -5 times the rent of places im applying for but because of my low score i get denied. I have a bad score because of hospital bills my daughter racked up when i was uninsured and small misc things that i wasnt even aware of. I havent ever been able to get credit cards to build my score because ive never been approved. when I was 18 and had no credit i was never given a card of any type and didnt even worry about credit i was trying to survive on my own in the world. I had a car repo befor that was because i purchased a lemon for 13 thousand and couldnt give it back or anything and so i didnt pay for it anymore. I want to start over somehow, I want to be given a chance and learn how this credit thing really works now that i have great income because of going to school. Its frustrating that I am a Registered Nurse that is going to have to live next to crack additcts and child molesters and in a roach motel because of not having money to pay things and being very finacncially unwise. Ive always paid rent wherever Ive lived. I havent been evicted. I am so saddened because my current landlord has to have his property back to allow a family member to move in and now i have this horrible score and me and my children are going to be homeless or probably live in the type of places i mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 11:06 PM

Also, I have never committed any crime in my life, never touched any drug (not even MJ) barely drink (I work night shift and a glass of wine will put me right to sleep), dont smoke, dont have pets, and am very clean. Never been evicted, Dont owe any money to anyone Ive ever rented from, Have good rental references and I am a Registered Nurse. However, I have been stupid in the past about not making arrangements on some bills, and not being aware when small things come on my credit like the public library put 30 bucks on there that i didnt even know i had lost books, plus some cable boxes that i didnt take back (Left my husband and out of state and I dont know what he did with those), and the car repo thing, and basically not taking that score seriously at all. I am now 40 and way smarter i think cause if I had a decent score I would protect it with my life!!!! I would just pay for the lemon car, I would tell my kids "If your not dying we cannot go to the ER for 5,000 just to be told, "All the tests came back ok, you just have to let it run its course", I would never leave cable boxes, Never not know how a t mobile bill can get so high and then just not pay it, all those stupid things. Surely there must be a way to fix this and start over. I hear these stories of people that owe 50,000 in credit card debt from going on grand vacations and living the high life and buying boats and jet skis and all these fun things and not paying, also filing bankrupt. Ive never done any of that, why am I soooo horrible.

Old 09-27-2015, 03:33 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
In most areas there is a shortage or units...

Given two identical applicants... my money is on the one without bad credit.

That said... many have been in your situation and sometimes a co-signer with good credit/income can get you in the door...

Old 09-27-2015, 04:34 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
the ability to pay is only half the story . your willingness to pay is the other half .

no one cares what your reasons are for the bad credit , only that you showed an unwillingness to pay or inability to pay . .

for anyone screening applications it is much easier to choose the next applicant then play detective and try to figure out as to why your score is low and who was really at fault . .

usually it isn't the events as much as poor decisions and choices leading up to the events that does someone in financially , which means it could conceivably happen again only taking a different trigger next time . . .

there is also the question of honesty and insurance claims with a low score group .

i am noy saying that is your case but that is the reasoning that is used when credit scores are used to judge you . who you are is generally reflected in how you are with your money . no interviewer or rental agent wants to bother trying to figure out the why's to your score , it is simpler to not even deal with it , just move on to the next .

Last edited by mathjak107; 09-27-2015 at 04:44 AM..

Old 09-27-2015, 06:23 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeneRN View Post
I have a bad score because of hospital bills my daughter racked up when i was uninsured and small misc things that i wasnt even aware of.I had a car repo befor that was because i purchased a lemon for 13 thousand and couldnt give it back or anything and so i didnt pay for it anymore. I want to start over somehow, I want to .

I cleaned your post up a bit...this is the information that you needed to post.

You have unpaid medical bills and "things you didn't know about". What I'd like to know is how/why don't you know about these small misc things that are effecting your credit??

You also have a repo on your credit...that alone is the largest red flag you can fly...right next to eviction and foreclosure. Never, ever stop making payments on a loan. Lemon or not, you had other choices.

You will have to live in places where landlords dont' check credit..you have a good income, use that to pay off your debt and clean up your credit a bit.

Old 09-27-2015, 06:28 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeneRN View Post
However, I have been stupid in the past about not making arrangements on some bills, and not being aware when small things come on my credit like the public library put 30 bucks on there that i didnt even know i had lost books, plus some cable boxes that i didnt take back (Left my husband and out of state and I dont know what he did with those), and the car repo thing, and basically not taking that score seriously at all.

Cleaned this one up as well. I see you answered my 'misc things' question in this post. Too bad those things were in your name and you ' weren't aware' of them.

At this point in your life, if your debt is truly that bad...then maybe think about filing for bankruptcy. I don't say that lightly because I think filing for bankruptcy is a cop out.

If you really want to clean up your credit, pay off your old debt. It will still show up but at least you can say that you managed to pay them off.

Good luck....it won't be an easy road, but you can rebuild your credit over time.

Old 09-27-2015, 12:44 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Actions have consequences and you are seeing some consequences of your very own actions.

I had over 150 calls for my last vacancy. I can choose a tenant who has a long history of paying on time. I don't have to accept someone with a long history of not paying, a huge list of excuses as to why it is not their fault, and a great big promise that they will be perfect from now on.

There are landlords who specialize in tenants with bad credit. Their houses aren't as nice as mine and not in good areas and they will want higher deposit. You can find a place to live, just not with me.

You have income, there really isn't any valid reason that you can't clean up your credit. Some of the things you list are low dollar amounts. Get them paid off. Make arrangements to make payments on the medical bills. Negotiate a settlement for the car loan and pay it off.

Old 10-11-2015, 03:40 AM

Yeah these replys make alot of sense. Don't like it but its true. I may very well have to live somewhere unsafe for my teen girls and next door to criminals and dodge drive by shooters all because of some poor decisions with bill paying but I am going to focus on fixing my credit for sure! Asap. And once its good again I'm never messing it up. I'm also teaching my girls before they hit 18 what never to do. But hospitals can be crooks overcharging for a bandaid!!!!! 250?????? Oh but that's OK for all these huge companies to rip people off daily!!! And some of you landlords too, 150 for keys???? 200 for a cleaning fee when the last place I left looked spotless and better than when I rented it!! It was move on ready. Painted, carpets cleaned, stove spotless, EVERYTHING! ( I had a 2000 deposit and wanted it all back) still 200 cleaning fee charge.....Liar!!!!

Old 10-11-2015, 03:56 AM

Yeah and the same wealthy landlords that won't give someone a second chance come into The hospital in which I work and expect sympathy when they overate artery clogging things and got fat and now have a heart attack or keep eating salty stuff with their high blood pressure, keep smoking and now have c.o.p.d and need oxygen! Maybe I should say, " you did this to yourself, you want your family and friends to feel sorry for you?" " why would you do this?????? I don't understand how you could just be fat and harm yourself!!!" Luckily I dont think like this and realize life sometimes can make people neglect what they shouldn't. Let's see who ends up in heaven. Sorry to tell you Richie's, some poor credit people will be there

Old 10-11-2015, 04:11 AM

Those things don't totally define who I am. That's why I posted the other info. Those pet lovers mess up a property more than some people with a low score. And what makes landlords think that if I had a high fico and make close to 100 k a year I wouldn't own myself. Can you have a high score and be a professional and be that stupid?? You landlords can expect too much. My score I found out is a 620. They can kiss my rear cause as soon as I get it to 680 or so I'm buying!!!!! Oh and I guess I'll be somebody then huh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting