U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 02:34 PM

3,364 posts, read 5,649,836 times
We just got out of the military and always paid our rent.

That said, our lease applications always asked for a work phone number. Start there. If you don't see improvement, then start moving down the line... if he has or wants SC, this will hurt him - the command will make sure he toes the line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 10:37 AM

99 posts, read 305,684 times
well I have the contact number for his old CO but since he was being transfered I did not have the opportunity to talk with his new CO...How would I go about finding out who is his CO-while not releashing any of his personal information--is there some kind of data base for enlisted Navy personel,in the mean time I got a good Lawyer that is hard at work,but she said I can evict them but can't default them since they are military so in other words Military personel can stay in your property and extra 30 days rent free while you spend big bucks going through all the squabbles...I can't say I won't rent to Military people again but next time I will follow the recommendations of the professionals....

Old 03-06-2008, 01:53 PM

1,865 posts, read 4,747,739 times
Military members are required by the Uniformed Code of Military Justic to pay all financial obligations. Commander's involvment will get your bills paid in a heartbeat.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:41 PM

3,364 posts, read 5,649,836 times
Start with his old CO, ask for contact information. Don't tell them why unless asked, but identify yourself as the former landlord... they may just be another friend of his and refuse. If asked, tell them they forgot to leave a forwarding address, and you don't have a place to mail their deposit.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:53 AM

2,170 posts, read 4,539,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFP View Post
In defense of the military (I'm a retired veteran), the service members are on a different plain. They spend their days with a unbreakable chain of command, have been trained to kill, work with weapons and explosives, and some incredible military machinery. When it comes to partying, they compare taverns in Germany to Panama, and are familiar with someone who has been killed, all while knowing they could be called on alert. They do deserve a little lattitude, but their CO is trained on how to handle them. If I'm in a restraunt or bar and see a uniformed service person, I pay their tab with mine, and say thank you.
Although all of this that you have posted may be true.. it doesnt excuse the fact that the individual that the OP is posting about can go run willy nilly all around everyone's property. Basically what I see here is an excuse to become madmen due to the fact I am in the military? Naw .. that boat dont float here. And everyone should be paying their rent on time.. no matter if they are in the military or not. Go to the individual's Commanding Officer and trust me.. that stuff will not be happening.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,610 times
I have a similar issue. My military serviceperson is being deployed right now and she is a month and a half behind on rent. The tenant’s mother stays there to care for her children. I don't have the person's unit number. I was thinking about evicting the mother, the serviceperson's sibling and her children in her absence. This way they would all be out and would hopefully the tenant would relinquish the house.

Any thoughts?

Old 04-30-2010, 01:21 PM

1,708 posts, read 2,813,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgraam View Post
I have a similar issue. My military serviceperson is being deployed right now and she is a month and a half behind on rent. The tenantís mother stays there to care for her children. I don't have the person's unit number. I was thinking about evicting the mother, the serviceperson's sibling and her children in her absence. This way they would all be out and would hopefully the tenant would relinquish the house.

Any thoughts?

My thoughts are you should post your own new thread as you have replied to one that is over 2 years old, I am sure the OP had his situation resolved on way or the other by now.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:05 PM

5,901 posts, read 2,807,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgraam View Post
I have a similar issue. My military serviceperson is being deployed right now and she is a month and a half behind on rent. The tenant’s mother stays there to care for her children. I don't have the person's unit number. I was thinking about evicting the mother, the serviceperson's sibling and her children in her absence. This way they would all be out and would hopefully the tenant would relinquish the house.

Any thoughts?
I think I'd be banned from this forum for life if I were to post my thoughts.

Last edited by FinsterRufus; 04-30-2010 at 03:07 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 05-04-2010, 01:31 PM

4,538 posts, read 8,268,359 times
When someone's very first post seems designed to get a rise out of people, I know what I think.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:51 PM
JS1

1,899 posts, read 3,910,584 times
You guys are mean to newbies. It looks like a genuine question.

In answer to the question, I would evict. You're a landlord, not a charity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting