Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 03:23 PM

7 posts, read 5,051 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I currently live in Trinidad and Tobago and own a business here. For several personal reasons and a slow economy, I am returning to the US (Florida to be specific) to live in a few months. I have enough savings to rent for a couple years or purchase a small apartment if necessary. My first preference would be to rent as I am not as familiar with Broward/Miami-Dade county as I use to be and to give myself time to secure a job.

I have no family in Florida, I only went to college there. My family is dispersed between Trinidad and New York. My credit history/score is ok. I know that landlords may require payslips, etc. I can show my business lease and business registration from Trinidad, I will still be operating the business for another year or two (but I am not certain this may have any effect) as well as bank statements. I can also pay a years rent upfront but I have read other threads where landlords may not look upon this favorably. What steps can I take to secure an apartment upon arrival?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 12:38 AM

774 posts, read 1,777,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitsun View Post
I have enough savings to rent for a couple years or purchase a small apartment if necessary.
I gotta ask: are these really comparable options in that area? Usually, purchase price equals 20-years' worth of rent minus HOA fees.

Old 09-29-2015, 04:24 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
You will need to prove that you have a firm financial history and can pay the monthly rent. However they may not take your foreign income or banking history in consideration because it would be a bit difficult to sue you in T & T for debts in the US.

Offering to pay up front is always a red flag to landlords. Your best bet is to find an extended stay hotel for a few months until you find a job in the US that will allow you rent a apartment. You can always search for private landlord on Craigslist.

You say you're returning to Florida, are you a US citizen? If so, I hope your US tax returns are current and correct (including the foreign income).

Good luck with you move.

Old 09-29-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max.b View Post
I gotta ask: are these really comparable options in that area? Usually, purchase price equals 20-years' worth of rent minus HOA fees.
Judging from the price of apartments I've seen online, it is within my purchasing range.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
You will need to prove that you have a firm financial history and can pay the monthly rent. However they may not take your foreign income or banking history in consideration because it would be a bit difficult to sue you in T & T for debts in the US.

Offering to pay up front is always a red flag to landlords. Your best bet is to find an extended stay hotel for a few months until you find a job in the US that will allow you rent a apartment. You can always search for private landlord on Craigslist.

You say you're returning to Florida, are you a US citizen? If so, I hope your US tax returns are current and correct (including the foreign income).

Good luck with you move.

Thanks for the advice. I am a citizen and I am currently up to day on my taxes in both countries.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:20 PM

296 posts, read 532,075 times
Yeah most places are weird about it. I've been looking to start a one year lease before, and offered to pay for the entire year before moving in and some places still haven't been satisfied. Some whine and still want a cosignor or proof of current income. Luckily its not too hard to fake a paystub or fake an employment letter. There are even companies you can pay to do it for you but I never saw the need.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:30 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Just be willing to show all your financial documdnts, proof of business ownership, bank statements, anything else you can come up with.

Landlords don't really care whether or not you have a job. What they want is proof that you can afford to pay the rent. If you have a savings account with enough cash to cover two years rent and have some documents showing your business produces income, that's good enough, as long as you pass the rest of the screening, good credit, no criminal, non-smoker, no pitbulls.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:32 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Adding this : if you own your house take proof. That is as good as a landlord reference.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:18 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,823,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post

Good luck with you move.

In FL where I see you are from a lot of seasonal rentals you do pay up front no matter if you have perfect credit and if your income is high. Often this is to lock people in the year prior.
In FL even luxury properties I found they just run a quick background and credit check. Some if there is an HOA you have an interview. Only one place called my references but the other couple never asked for documentation or called my references. I have high credit and nothing negative on my credit or background check so that may be why.
Now that you are moving form out of the US it may be different too.

Old 09-30-2015, 06:00 PM

774 posts, read 1,777,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitsun View Post
Judging from the price of apartments I've seen online, it is within my purchasing range.
Some parts of FL do seem to have crazy cheap condos, like $30K 1BR.

If buying costs as little as renting for a couple of years, you should just buy, IMHO. You can check into a long-stay hotel (or move in with roommates) while you are shopping.

By the way, I noticed that a minority of property management companies say that they will accept proof of 3 year's worth of rent in savings in lieu of proof of income. (Perhaps most will, but only some advertise it -- I don't know. Valuing income over savings seems illogical to me -- anyone can be fired the day after they sign the lease)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting