Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 11:19 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,972,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I haven't read your other thread, but I'm guessing Rabrrita mentioned a situation where some kind of payment might be due to a tenant being asked to give up their tenancy, like in rent controlled San Francisco.
Nope, OP didn't get that from me as my response was related to possible fines for violating the rules on family relationship as a landlord. I think the OP doesn't have the foggiest about the program as is just throwing forks to the ceiling to see what may stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Yes, it's been done and is still done many times. That's why we know its a violation because those people end up in trouble and they come here asking what to do because they lost their voucher and their kin got hit with $15,000 in fines plus had to repay all the money collected.

She can do like american corporations do and set up a shell company in Bermuda that owns the corporation in Delaware that is the sole investing corporation of a Texas subsidiary that owns the property you are renting from your daughter. Probably will cost more than what she makes off you but if you want to break the rules and get away with it, that's how to do it. Otherwise, you run the risk of anyone knowing about it snitching on you if you get them mad over something just to collect the reward for turning in fraud. The majority of cases that are issued violations or prosecuted are from someone you know turning you in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 12:49 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
Maybe that where the OP got the $15,000 idea for turning it back in ....

Just to be clear OP its a $15,000 FINE your DD will pay when you & her are found out! HUD/Section 8 don't pay you or her You & DD pay Them!

Old 10-15-2015, 10:15 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,265,249 times
There would likely be shorter waiting lists serving more needy people if there motivation for giving up S8 vouchers. Our government doesn't see it that way.

Old 10-15-2015, 12:34 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,832,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsacg View Post
I don't understand the huge mistake part. Sit down with a pin and paper and figure out a budget.

Sitting down with a PIN and paper might be a mistake. I'd recommend a PEN. Seems more productive and less painful.

Old 10-15-2015, 12:40 PM

6,556 posts, read 8,384,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Sitting down with a PIN and paper might be a mistake. I'd recommend a PEN. Seems more productive and less painful.
Just avoid sitting on the pin.

Old 10-15-2015, 10:24 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,484,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Nope, OP didn't get that from me as my response was related to possible fines for violating the rules on family relationship as a landlord. I think the OP doesn't have the foggiest about the program as is just throwing forks to the ceiling to see what may stick
Oh, well, normally I try to just stick to the thread at hand, and I should have this time, too. I don't know about all this other family relationship stuff.

But, I highly suggest never willingly giving up a HUD voucher. They're so hard to get.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:01 PM

90 posts, read 213,142 times
My auto correct from my phone can be a real B sometimes, especially if I don't proof read first. ��

Old 10-17-2015, 06:54 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,007,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostmyself96 View Post
if I give up my voucher, I heard that the section 8 gives you around $15,000 When you turn in your voucher! Is this true? If not, do they give you anything ?

You heard wrong, but if you can support yourself without the aid of govt assistance...do it.

Govt assistance is supposed to be a helping hand, not a hand out and most certainly not a lifestyle. Sadly some people have no shame or pride and have made it a lifestyle.

Old 10-17-2015, 07:16 AM

26 posts, read 46,372 times
Most cities that have section 8 like NYC are closed to new applications so I would really recommend that you hold on to the voucher unless you are 100% certain you can carry the rent without it. Once you give it up you might not be able to get it back.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:40 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,275,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Oh, well, normally I try to just stick to the thread at hand, and I should have this time, too. I don't know about all this other family relationship stuff.

But, I highly suggest never willingly giving up a HUD voucher. They're so hard to get.
What???

You want someone to willingly stay on assistance?

As a taxpayers, the vouchers SHOULD be hard to get.

What a poverty mindset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting