Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 09:37 PM

11 posts, read 20,252 times

Advertisements

In California.....Single family Rental house built/ brand new in March of this year. We Moved in in April. Landlord already performed one illegal general inspection in June and is trying for another. I told him no and now suddenly he wants to check the fire detectors and cm detectors.....in a brand new home that is wired with a completely brand new 2015 fire suppression system....as in water sprinklers in all the ceilings and a huge red fire alarm box on the side of the house hard wired to the fire department.

We did our walk through in April and he did a "general" inspection in June. Do I really need to let this guy in again so soon? The house is brand new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 10:09 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Read CA Civil Code Section 1954. That will explain what you landlord can and can not do.

Old 10-16-2015, 11:01 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,835,338 times
http://housing.ucsc.edu/cro/pdf/CCC_privacy.pdf

Old 10-16-2015, 11:56 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
As long as he gives you proper notice he can come in when he wants & as many times a yr he wants & Don't need a reason!

Old 10-17-2015, 04:28 AM

2,928 posts, read 3,549,880 times
"Illegal" general inspection? Read the law before you claim something is illegal. Doing that many inspections in such a short period of time is over the top but there's nothing illegal about it. He probably had a house that almost burned down and is still worried about that repeating. His fear is not unfounded, one of my worst nightmares is a tenant burning one of my rentals down and the insurance company trying to weasel out of it saying it was intentional/negligent and they won't cover the loss.

Old 10-17-2015, 08:05 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
CO detectors and smoke detectors SHOULD be checked twice a year (and the backup batteries replaced, if they are models that use a common 9V battery). Their age has nothing to do with it. Just because a detector is fairly new doesn't mean it's working properly!

Old 10-17-2015, 11:30 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,813,691 times
You would have hated living at one of the rentals I stayed in. Landlord did pest control/monthly inspections. I had nothing to hide so it didn't bother me none.

Is there an issue that you have with him inspecting? Not saying you are hiding something but you seem really upset at this.

Old 10-17-2015, 12:21 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Landlord can inspect as many times as he wants to. All he has to do is give proper notice, usually 24 hour notice.

Brand new houses always come with flaws that are under warranty. The problem must be reported within the first year. Personally, I wouldn't expect a tenant to know what sort of things must be found and reported. I would be looking for them myself in a brand new house.

I suggest that you be pleasant about it. If you resist proper inspections, the landlord is going to wonder what it is you are hiding and your relationship will deteriorate. If you are reasonable and are taking good care, then he most likely will relax the inspection routine ( although maybe not so much if you are subsidized tenants)

Old 10-17-2015, 01:37 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,264,955 times
What made the June inspection illegal?

Contrary to what some have said, in CA, a landlord can't enter as often as he wants provided adequate notice is given. It has to be for a specific reason and not for purposes of harassment. That said, if the last entry was 4 months ago, that hardly seems it would rise to the level of harassment. I would expect your lease would not be renewed or you will get a nice big increase.

The successful tenancies usually have a good relationship between landlords and tenants. Any tenant that gives me friction is gone at the first opportunity. Even if it is my fault (as the landlord). That is just how it is. I have not yet had that situation but there is no way I am going to have anyone in one of my very expensive properties under adverse conditions.

Old 10-17-2015, 03:54 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Some new ones have 10 year batteries that are not replaceable, sounds like he is just using this as an excuse to snoop around. Offer to buy him a 10 year one or tell him to buy it so he stops bothering you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting