U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2015, 07:37 AM

4,211 posts, read 12,552,742 times

Advertisements

I can't speak to the OP's oven stains, but some stains are baked in and impossible to remove. There's greasy ovens and then there's baked in stains. The former - shame on a tenant for leaving them; the latter - nothing can be done.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 05:00 PM

8,618 posts, read 19,042,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
I can't speak to the OP's oven stains, but some stains are baked in and impossible to remove. There's greasy ovens and then there's baked in stains. The former - shame on a tenant for leaving them; the latter - nothing can be done.

Not true. Bake on 'stains' can be removed...and if they are that bad that they can't, then it's considered damage.

Old 10-24-2015, 07:35 AM

4,211 posts, read 12,552,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Not true. Bake on 'stains' can be removed...and if they are that bad that they can't, then it's considered damage.
Disagree. And I speak from experience. If the stain is attacked too vigorously or too repeatedly or with the wrong product, the protective surface of a toilet, sink, oven can be affected so that a "stain" is permanent. Self-cleaning ovens can be the perpetrator - there's no guarantee that the extremely high temps are not going to bake a stain right into the protective finish. It's the same principle with our pots, pans, cookie sheets, etc. When washing them, if we miss some grease on the bottom or in the corners or around a handle, when we next use them the residual starts to bake right in.

If those oven stains were there, as documented by the OP that they were, then the "damage" was not her fault, it was pre-existing.

Old 10-24-2015, 10:14 AM

8,618 posts, read 19,042,500 times
Quote:
Disagree. And I speak from experience. If the stain is attacked too vigorously or too repeatedly or with the wrong product, the protective surface of a toilet, sink, oven can be affected so that a "stain" is permanent. Self-cleaning ovens can be the perpetrator - there's no guarantee that the extremely high temps are not going to bake a stain right into the protective finish. It's the same principle with our pots, pans, cookie sheets, etc. When washing them, if we miss some grease on the bottom or in the corners or around a handle, when we next use them the residual starts to bake right in.

If those oven stains were there, as documented by the OP that they were, then the "damage" was not her fault, it was pre-existing.

baked on food is not a stain. if you're talking about baked on food that literally ate thru the top layer of the stove, then yes, it can't be removed and it's damage. she has to prove she didn't damage it and I hope she has pictures and a move in checklist.

Old 11-02-2015, 12:59 PM

10 posts, read 21,020 times
Just to clarify: the stain was indeed baked on. I tried to get it out when we moved in and couldn't, and it's certainly not something I'm going to pay them for after move-out.

The carpet was in impeccable condition, nor did my lease state I was responsible for professionally cleaning it. I cleaned it myself regularly because I'm that person that whigs out over spots. ETA: and by cleaning it regularly, I mean I owned a carpet cleaner and used carpet shampoo.

As stated, I had all of this in my move-in checklist and move-out was well-documented with pictures.

However, all that aside, I did win this battle with them and they waived all our fees.

Old 11-02-2015, 01:03 PM

10 posts, read 21,020 times
Quote:
SJ03, yes, it seems like you've done everything you can do ... sending the certified letter requiring a signature as proof of receipt throws the ball back in their court and they will have to respond by your due date. On the face of the story as I see it as an outsider, if you did take them to court, in my nonprofessional opinion you have a stronger case. That would mean, if it went that far and they did not prevail, they would also pay court costs (I think that's how it usually goes). I would doubt they would let it go that far over $190, and I would think (at least hope!) that it could be solved amicably before then.

I know that $190 doesn't seem like a lot of money, but it is a chunk of cash that could be put to better use in your new home, and there is the principle of the issue. It frosts me when businesses can nickel-n-dime us for alleged charges and we are forced to pay up or risk a bang on our credit.

Please keep us updated!
Thanks for saying this! Back in my mid-20's, I left a shower curtain up in my very first apartment I had lived in alone. I didn't really know any better (and more importantly, didn't really care, either). But they charged me $400 for the removal of that one shower curtain. It was listed as "debris removal" LOL. Lesson learned! I didn't want that to happen this time and I'm glad I was able to resolve it with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or