Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 11:05 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
This is and always has been a no dog building, The issue is the sudden allowance of them.

The noise issue is another thing of its own, I'm not concerned about people making noise, That is one thing this place excels at handling. I was simply explaining how it came known to be that a dog was in the building.

My issue is not being informed of the change of policies and with them not being able to produce one when asked.

It was pretty clear from their reactions to wanting documentation the new policy was only policy in word at this point.

The dog is not a service animal. It's a pet.
The girl was told it was ok by the office when she enquired if she could take her mothers dog to live with her.

In any event we where told by the office dogs are now allowed regardless of this girls specifics.

This isn't an issue dealing in acceptances beyond the renters control.
It is them changing policy mid lease without notifying their tenants of such a change.
The landlords don't owe you an explanation, and how do you know what is in the other tenant's lease? I've heard of LL's that allow dogs in some units, and not others.

They aren't obligated to produce their policies for you; they are obligated to abide by the lease that you both signed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 04:36 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
I....... He claims this was explicitly told to him when getting the initial tour and shared documentation from his welcome guide book you get here from when he moved in that is clearly and loudly saying no recreational pets permitted. ..........
What is in a welcome guide book, but not in the lease, is a house rule. House rules can be changed. As long as the changes aren't extreme, the housing courts will allow the changes.

There really isn't anything you can do about a neighbor being allowed to have a dog. If it is really important to you to live in a dog-free building, you can't force the dog out, so your best option is to move.

There is absolutely no way for any landlord to guarantee a dog-free building. All some cheater has to do is to declare that their pet is an emotional support animal and the landlord must allow it in. A dog doesn't have to be a real service animal. All it needs is a lying cheating self-serving tenant to state that the dog is a service animal and the dog has to be allowed in. Landlords can no longer maintain animal-free buildings.

Your landlord changed pet policies. Nothing you or anyone else can do about it. Make a noise complaint about the barking if the noise bothers you.

Old 10-29-2015, 06:29 PM

5,213 posts, read 3,013,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
What is in a welcome guide book, but not in the lease, is a house rule. House rules can be changed. As long as the changes aren't extreme, the housing courts will allow the changes.

There really isn't anything you can do about a neighbor being allowed to have a dog. If it is really important to you to live in a dog-free building, you can't force the dog out, so your best option is to move.

There is absolutely no way for any landlord to guarantee a dog-free building. All some cheater has to do is to declare that their pet is an emotional support animal and the landlord must allow it in. A dog doesn't have to be a real service animal. All it needs is a lying cheating self-serving tenant to state that the dog is a service animal and the dog has to be allowed in. Landlords can no longer maintain animal-free buildings.

Your landlord changed pet policies. Nothing you or anyone else can do about it. Make a noise complaint about the barking if the noise bothers you.

This is not true. At least not in all states. For an animal to be declared an service dog of any kind there is at least a class and certificate that has to be gotten. From what I have seen this generally costs at least a 100 dollars.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:27 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,837,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
This is not true. At least not in all states. For an animal to be declared an service dog of any kind there is at least a class and certificate that has to be gotten. From what I have seen this generally costs at least a 100 dollars.
Emotional support animals do not need to have a certificate or take a class in any state. A simple note from a tenants doctor is sufficient.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:52 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
Katie didn't go to any classes. I home trained her then the apt mgr ask me to show what she did for me. 30 mins later she had my pet deposit refund check ready for me! She was 18 months 2 yrs old at the time. BTW when I asked my dr for written statement of her being a Service dog he came to my apt & had me show him what she did for me. When I got Lady-Bug the Dr did the same thing made a trip to the apt to see what she could do. But neither dog has been to any training classes.

Old 10-29-2015, 10:00 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:
The service dog law is federal. No, a service dog does not have to be certified or trained by a professional organization. Legally, a service dog has to be trained to do something to aid the handicapped owner, but a landlord can not even ask an applicant how they are handicapped.

The applicant's word has to be taken at face value. That's Federal law and no state can change that.

Old 10-29-2015, 10:19 PM

5,213 posts, read 3,013,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The service dog law is federal. No, a service dog does not have to be certified or trained by a professional organization. Legally, a service dog has to be trained to do something to aid the handicapped owner, but a landlord can not even ask an applicant how they are handicapped.

The applicant's word has to be taken at face value. That's Federal law and no state can change that.
Hmmm, not what my friend was told at the hospital. That's a pretty messed up federal law.

Old 10-29-2015, 10:26 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
Your Friend was told wrong. Also there are different rules under Fair Housing Where all kinds of animals can be Service Animals. ADA only recognize Dogs & Mini Horses Fair Housing Recognize Lots of animals Cats to Monkeys Ferrets etc.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:30 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
I have an emotional support grasshopper.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:40 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,108,085 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Your Friend was told wrong. Also there are different rules under Fair Housing Where all kinds of animals can be Service Animals. ADA only recognize Dogs & Mini Horses Fair Housing Recognize Lots of animals Cats to Monkeys Ferrets etc.

You are both wrong.

Before speaking about a law you do not know or understand, know what the law actually says.

Katie1, it amazes me that you would not know the difference in classification and rules for ESAs and SDs.

You at least know the Service Dog (& mini-horses) part, but regardless what you believe, Fair Housing cannot declare ESAs as service animals. Both SDs and ESAs are treated similarly where Fair Housing rules are concerned.

But a Service Dog and an ESA are not the same - period, ever. A monkey and a cat cannot be a SD.

Hawk, you are just wrong. "a class"? It takes many months of initial training to become a service dog and the cost is 10 to 30 times more than your $100.

But most importantly, there is no certificate for a service dog. No certificate can ever be requested by anyone.

As Katie said, she trained her own SD. I trained mine. Training is never over. I am still training her for new skills as my needs change (my hearing loss is progressive).

Back to the OP. Whatever your issue about the change in policy from no-dogs to some dogs as exception or even to dogs allowed, you need to decide whether having a dog in your building or just knowing one could be arriving any day is enough of an issue for you to move. If it is an issue, then you can ask your landlord to let you out of your lease early. Other than that, you just need to accept that the landlord/management are permitting dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting