Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 09:05 PM

544 posts, read 1,230,270 times

Advertisements

this is the same apartment.. i know we have to move ,but my daughter and i are leaving once she finishes school in June.

This new tenant under us, the 2nd one since the first got evicted after about two months for being horrible and not paying the rent. Anyway, the apartment stays empty for about three month and this lady w/ her tow children move in. The ll did not notify me about new neighbors until i saw a guy coming in and out the building w/ his own key. very small builiding, two apartments. She moves in w/ her kids and twenty other people who have access to the building. all guys, constant in and out, all times of the day and night.. the noise, fighting, fist fighing.. the videos i have of her almost naked in the hall fighting w/ a guy and her one year old in the dark hallway, the fist fights w/ her people.. it's incredible.. me and my child need to get out asap.

the issue here is today, i'm constantly checking the door downstairs to make sure it is locked since they don't lock the door downstairs for some reason.. i've found it unlocked at midnight, 3 am, 6 pm.. it doesn't matter.. just unlocked. A guy was just shot outside the front door last weekend. so what i do is i usually go check the door no matter what and lock it. If i run into them coming, i'll ask them to please lock the door numerous times. Today, one of the guys goes out, i watch him to out and i go down to lock the door...yup, it's been left opened. i watch him head across the street.. as he's coming back, i'm closing the door. i ask him to please lock the door, behind him is the tenant who i didn't know was w/ him starts screaming and pointing her finger in my face threatening to get her people to fight me.

The landlord i've been asking to get another type of lock for months, when i send her videos, she ignores them. The last text to her was of them smoking downstairs this past week. I've complained about the smoking last month and let it go when she texted back that she would talk to them. Well, they haven't stopped, she texted me for me to stop texting her about that since this girl said no one was smoking. I literally have not seen my ll since June 2015.

I sent her the numerous videos of fights, the door being left opened, the big garbage bags left in the hallway for two weeks at a time, nothing. Now this girl is threatening me because i'm asking her and her roomates/tenants to lock the door behind themselves. It's a totally unsafe and irresponsible to leave the door open knowing theirs other tenants in the building besides themselves. This is not the area for this. We need somewhere else to go until my daughter finishes school. As i'm typing, literally someone has been coming in and out about five times.. CONSTANT traffic. I let the ll know this and it's not just her and children down there. No response.

I went to put down the trash after threatening me and the kids father was getting ready to come in, mind you, he had a key in his hand! nor was she coming down to open the door for him.. this lady has given other people not on the lease access to the building.. smh.. we need to get out , but where for 6 months that's going to be safe for me and my child. i won't even go on about the stuff that goes on at 1, 4, am while her kids are still up.. this past weekend she woke me up w/ the fighting downstairs which is why i went to check the door at 3 am and found it open while she was inside her apartment. Is there some kind of emergency housing? i'm still waiting on my ll to respond to this text, videos and emails from almost 5 hours ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 11:18 PM

8,452 posts, read 14,964,289 times
Missing a word in your post: Police.

Old 11-02-2015, 03:18 AM

544 posts, read 1,230,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Yes, i know, but i think it would make this nightmare worse. I did tell her i'd call the police since she wants to call her " people" and pulling out her cellphone as shes' screaming this. She acted like she had to be held back from attacking me. She literally told me to go ahead and call the police. It's almost 10 hours later and no response from landlord , not to one text, email or video. slumlord. I'm looking into rooms to rent, but i have a little girl, and no so sure about the safety of renting a room.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:27 AM

13,912 posts, read 39,115,847 times
Report the men going in & out to CPS .... Call the police about the Fights& after hours noise disturbances. Nothing the LL can do.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:27 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,793,245 times
Quote:
This.

I would have called the police before even notifying the landlord in this case because it's so extreme. Show them your videos and the documentation that you sent to your landlord. Tell them that you fear for your safety and the safety of your child. You can't keep living in fear or dealing with trash like that.

Keep us updated and stay safe!

Old 11-02-2015, 07:38 AM

3,367 posts, read 2,851,414 times
if you plan to move out soon, but not just yet, I'd suggest to get yourself a gun and keep it on your body at all times when you're around your apartment. And I'd stay away from your bad neighbor as far away as possible... Don't try to teach them polite manners, don't report them, don't ask them do the right things around the house. Just keep going till summer, and if they bring their threats to a new level, then bring the gun up and be ready to defend yourself. Otherwise, stay out of their way and move out ASAP.

Old 11-02-2015, 03:09 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,660,386 times
Whether you like it or not, you need to be calling the police on the fighting, etc so these people get ticketed. That is the only way most LLs will do anything. They want that type of proof in order to evict.

It is a horrible, horrible situation to have to live amongst or around but the only thing that really has any clout in these situations is getting the police involved and the perpetrator(s) ticketed. Just tell the police of your concerns of retaliation and hopefully they will have some solutions for that.

Old 11-02-2015, 03:15 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,660,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
if you plan to move out soon, but not just yet, I'd suggest to get yourself a gun and keep it on your body at all times when you're around your apartment. And I'd stay away from your bad neighbor as far away as possible... Don't try to teach them polite manners, don't report them, don't ask them do the right things around the house. Just keep going till summer, and if they bring their threats to a new level, then bring the gun up and be ready to defend yourself. Otherwise, stay out of their way and move out ASAP.
The solution to everything is not always guns as you always seem to suggest it is. Not everyone is comfortable with guns, wants to be around them or have possession of them NOR should some people ever own them. As many are aware, guns in the wrong hands is careless and dangerous and only makes matters much worse. If a person fears guns and is not properly trained to own one or handle one you are only asking for trouble.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:36 PM

15,111 posts, read 32,158,073 times
Quote:
Yep.

Old 11-03-2015, 11:23 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,734,899 times
At this point since there are options you aren't wanting to use right now, I would text/email landlord and ask them to beef up the locks on your door. Tell them you will stop complaining about the door downstairs if she sends someone to install lock or allows you to deduct cost of said lock from rent.

That way your own apartment is secure. And I don't think there's much of a difference if you are unsafe in the hallway or right outside the downstairs door as you said the neighborhood isn't safe. Just have 911 on your phone dialed to where all you have to do is hit send when you leave or enter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting