Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 05:36 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Florida landlords have been requiring 2mths penalty for years...long before Rubio.

Breaking your lease, in the proper manner, DOES NOT EFFECT YOUR CREDIT OR ABILITY TO RENT IN THE FUTURE.

If you're having financial issues, that YOUR issue...not your landlord's and they are not obligated to let you off scot free becaus've never e you made/make bad financial decisions.

I've never broken a lease or faced a financial charge beyond the normal deposits and fees, but I've seen these things happen to others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 08:00 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,805,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I've never broken a lease or faced a financial charge beyond the normal deposits and fees, but I've seen these things happen to others.
I've broken two leases following the steps that were laid out in my lease (which usually require a notice and a fee) and neither had a negative effect on my credit OR my ability to rent again. Some apps will ask if you've broken a lease - I've said yes and never even been questioned on it.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:25 AM

106,564 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
That's you and that's not most people and most people don't live in a unique housing market like NYC. There is a reason why renting is not the American dream, it's the only choice for many.
you can make good money anywhere in real estate but it usually involves more then buy a place and renting it out if you want those nice juicy returns that go beyond a small roi with rent or waiting years for some appreciation which may or may not happen ..

i have done tax lien deals in new jersey as well and was awarded the property .

the problem investing in real estate is to do it right it is a professional's game .

the real juicy stuff either the public never see's or they do not know about doing ..

there are all sorts of great ventures out there but most folks will never take advantage of them because on their own they are not privy to he deals .

it takes lots of effort and work to find this kind of stuff but it is out there . my partner bernard spitzer was very very wealthy from all these unique deals out there . i learned a lot and also learned the layman will never see these kind of high return ventures so they think these opportunity's don't exist .

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-25-2015 at 08:46 AM..

Old 11-25-2015, 04:07 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,300,772 times
Quote:
Hundreds of post by the same few people. It's an exception to the rule for most that you do better off renting than owning, plus investing in the stock market is like gambling. If hundreds of posts explain how a few renters do better by renting, thousands of posts explain how much better and cheaper it is to buy your own home and all the comforts of living that come with it.
You are totally wrong but I wish you the best!

Old 11-25-2015, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i estimate if we did not get rid of the house and rent the last 13 years our net worth would be about 1/2 of what it is , maybe even much less ..

renting allowed us to deploy the money that would have sat trapped in a house in to far more lucrative commercial real estate deals near central park .

not only did that money generate far better gains but it generarted enough gains that we not only can pay rent increases forever but we no longer have to work -period and we can live off the gains, so we retired .

if we had chosen to keep the house or bought another one we would both still be working because we would still be to far from goal .

nyc is a costly place to live but if you are creative and lucky you can use that to your advantage here .
I, too, would probably not be able to retire if I'd not have had the extra money to deploy, no money spent on home maintenance, etc. not too mention the freedom to travel short and long distances and about a dozen other advantages too numerous to mention. But if one's lifestyle preference is to live in a house and forego the opportunity to retire earlier and to participate in a "forced savings" program of sorts by paying that mortgage payment every month rather than investing in equities etc and accumulating a much larger nest egg, I totally understand. If I had a family I probably wold have bought a house, also, and just delayed the retirement, etc.

Old 11-25-2015, 04:52 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,871,284 times
Quote:
i estimate if we did not get rid of the house and rent the last 13 years our net worth would be about 1/2 of what it is , maybe even much less ..

renting allowed us to deploy the money that would have sat trapped in a house in to far more lucrative commercial real estate deals near central park .

not only did that money generate far better gains but it generarted enough gains that we not only can pay rent increases forever but we no longer have to work -period and we can live off the gains, so we retired .

if we had chosen to keep the house or bought another one we would both still be working because we would still be to far from goal .

nyc is a costly place to live but if you are creative and lucky you can use that to your advantage here .
Curious what the rent was 13 years ago vs now and also the market value of the property 13 years ago vs now. Am I correct that there is some govt. rent control on your rent? How much rent have you paid over 13 years?

Old 11-25-2015, 05:00 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
you can make good money anywhere in real estate but it usually involves more then buy a place and renting it out if you want those nice juicy returns that go beyond a small roi with rent or waiting years for some appreciation which may or may not happen ..

i have done tax lien deals in new jersey as well and was awarded the property .

the problem investing in real estate is to do it right it is a professional's game .

the real juicy stuff either the public never see's or they do not know about doing ..

there are all sorts of great ventures out there but most folks will never take advantage of them because on their own they are not privy to he deals .

it takes lots of effort and work to find this kind of stuff but it is out there . my partner bernard spitzer was very very wealthy from all these unique deals out there . i learned a lot and also learned the layman will never see these kind of high return ventures so they think these opportunity's don't exist .

The best deals, of course, are available only to accredited investors, which is to say you need money to make money.

I have a friend who was once fascinated with tax lien properties; he bought some small tax liens and got a very nice ROI, but never got an actual property.

Old 11-25-2015, 05:51 PM

106,564 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
Curious what the rent was 13 years ago vs now and also the market value of the property 13 years ago vs now. Am I correct that there is some govt. rent control on your rent? How much rent have you paid over 13 years?

if you are talking about where we live i am not really sure what the rent was 13 years ago but i think maybe 1300 or so and 1800 today and going to 1850.00 in january but not sure what it was back then . . i do know the rent increases have been between 2 and 4% over the time frame since the increases are accessible on line .

https://www.quora.com/Where-can-I-fi...reases-for-NYC

but i can tell you to buy an apartment like ours as a co-op is about 300k and 1200-1300 a month for maintenance which includes the rest of our mortgage the building holds since it is co-op as well as includes gas , electric , a parking spot and the pool and real state taxes ..

that is 2 bedroom /2 bath.

1/2 the housing stock in nyc and the boroughs are rent stabilized . but because of all the capital improvements even if you are in the building 30 plus years the rents can be close to market .

my wife lived here 35 years so we are maybe 10% or so at best below market after decades of time .

capital improvements are outside the bounds of what the rent increases are . we got a 50 dollar rent increase for capital improvements but no rent increase's were voted in for the first time ever for next year .

i couldn't tell you any values back then as i had zero interest in buying an equivalent co-op at that time .

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-25-2015 at 06:30 PM..

Old 11-25-2015, 07:22 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
You are totally wrong but I wish you the best!
no

Old 11-25-2015, 08:11 PM

Quote:
That's you and that's not most people and most people don't live in a unique housing market like NYC. There is a reason why renting is not the American dream, it's the only choice for many.
Renters can be poor, stinking rich or anywhere in between. I rent and it's because I rent that I am in the upper income level. It's also why I choose to rent and at 61, I'd certainly rather rent my nice abode than spend time on ownership. I've MUCH better things to do with my time than deal with the many issues related to ownership. And, yes, I have owned before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting