Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 04:39 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Agree with you, but why do you have to mention race? Does that have any relevance here? I lived on a 2nd floor apartment for several years, and nothing but stompers. Whenever someone moved out, another "stomper" would move and the cycle continues. I finally moved up to the highest floor (3rd floor) and it was relaxing to sit in peace and sip on my drink!

If you had issues with more than one 'stomper', then clearly the issue isn't the tenant, but the building.

I live in a townhome. I can hear my cat jump off my bed, sounds like a weight being dropped. I can hear my dog and cat romping around...sounds like WWF up there. I can also hear my 100 lb daughter walking around upstairs...it 'sounds' like she's stomping, but she's not...she's walking. When my 175 lb hubby walks around it does sound like 'elephants stomping', but it's not. I can also hear the shower running and the toilets flush.

How should I handle this noise? Should I complain to the landlord, police, HOA or housing authority?

I'm not saying that hearing your upstairs neighbor walking around isn't annoying, I'm sure it is, but to try and tell them they can't walk around their unit whenever they want is ludicrous. We're not talking wild parties, screaming matches, booming music or PX90 at 0300....we're talking about people walking around their home.

This is one issue that will never be agreed upon and will never have a solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 02:32 PM

1 posts, read 38,884 times
I am being EVICTED for 2 Noise complaints regarding my 8 year-old daughter and I Laughing Too loud at 11:30pm, on a Friday and Saturday night by my neighbor who I share a wall with in an old three-unit home.
I am awake with insomnia most nights around 3am, and go into my kitchen for some cereal and to the bathroom.
This neighbor has made Repeated requests that I stay OUT of my kitchen and bathroom at night, bc the walls and floors are so thin!!
My landlord insulated the floor- when that failed to quiet the house noises down from the Normal Movements I was asked not to make at night, she complained Again about my "Noise," and I am was given a 90-day eviction notice for preventing HER from living peacefully!!
It is month-to-month, and the owner stated a "No Cause" eviction to prevent being sued, but also stated that I will be Immediately kicked out in one month if I am not "Quiet between 10pm and 7am," starting tonight!
They offered me $1000 and return of all deposit software I left of my Own Accord within the month.
I have No prospects to get an apartment I can afford in my daughter's school neighborhood where we live now, and she will have to Change Schools next year!!
I am Livid!!
Please, please... Any Advice would be deeply appreciated.
Thanks!

Old 04-19-2016, 05:51 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woah Nelly View Post
I am being EVICTED for 2 Noise complaints regarding my 8 year-old daughter and I Laughing Too loud at 11:30pm, on a Friday and Saturday night by my neighbor who I share a wall with in an old three-unit home.
I am awake with insomnia most nights around 3am, and go into my kitchen for some cereal and to the bathroom.
This neighbor has made Repeated requests that I stay OUT of my kitchen and bathroom at night, bc the walls and floors are so thin!!
My landlord insulated the floor- when that failed to quiet the house noises down from the Normal Movements I was asked not to make at night, she complained Again about my "Noise," and I am was given a 90-day eviction notice for preventing HER from living peacefully!!
It is month-to-month, and the owner stated a "No Cause" eviction to prevent being sued, but also stated that I will be Immediately kicked out in one month if I am not "Quiet between 10pm and 7am," starting tonight!
They offered me $1000 and return of all deposit software I left of my Own Accord within the month.
I have No prospects to get an apartment I can afford in my daughter's school neighborhood where we live now, and she will have to Change Schools next year!!
I am Livid!!
Please, please... Any Advice would be deeply appreciated.
Thanks!

You're on a month to month lease...be thankful for the 90 day notice, legally he can give much less.

Is this fair? Hell, no. He shouldn't be telling you leave because you're up and about in the middle of the night, but again, you're on a month to month lease and all he has to do is give you notice to vacate. So it's up to you to vacate. Don't let this get to the courts or you'll never find a decent place to live.

Old 04-20-2016, 05:38 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPBDMihPRJA

Old 04-20-2016, 07:58 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,496,338 times
I agree that this is a topic that is so common but there is never any resolution for. Bottom line is, live on a top floor or with no one attached. Otherwise, expect people to be rude and inconsiderate....if you bring it up to them. I have never had anyone respond kindly to requests for "keeping it down"..although I am aware little can be done in a poorly constructed building/house, the rudeness of people still astounds me.

Old 04-24-2016, 06:00 PM

658 posts, read 721,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylerbennet View Post
Just got out of a terrible situation where an Indian family living above me let their 2 kids use the apartment as their personal playground. All day long, 8AM until 9PM, running, jumping and loud stomping from one end of the apartment to another.

Many people here think stomping is some kinda normal noise for apartments -- it isnt. If your apartment bangs and vibrates all day, that isn't 'normal living noise'. Im sitting in my chair and i could feel the vibrations. Unfortunately landlords will claim it normal is so they don't have to do anything.

I believe the parents would hole up in the master bedroom and shut the kids out to do whatever they wanted all day.

Nothing would stop them. Apartment management claimed they spoke to them but there was never any change.

I mention this as a cautionary tale. I was lucky in that I only sign 6 month leases, so I left in my 5th month (after paying the last month too of course) without too much of a hit. I'd never sign a 12 month lease. The hundred bucks extra a month for the peace in knowing I'm never too far away from leaving if I need to is well worth it.

I believe that living below constant runners/stompers induced a form of PTSD. I still wake up in the morning and hear those kids running and stomping around in my head. I hope that goes away one day.
I don't quite agree that stomping for kids isn't "normal". For kids, yeah, it's normal! You can tell them til you turn blue in the face but they stomp. You can't rig a pulley system to zipline them around just because it's annoying the person downstairs.

My sister's hubby is a very large man and their apartment floor is crap. It literally buckles a bit in spots and creaks when you walk on it. The construction is not solid and there's little to stop the noise of them walking and their kids walking. She's always telling them to step lightly but in hubby's case, he can't. He's a BIG guy, and the floor and him just don't mix. The people downstairs keep having hissyfits and causing trouble over it, which goes too far. The complex won't fix the floors, so what can you do?

I had an upstairs neighbor who played live music a lot. Often I could hear him playing his guitar and singing during the day and sometimes he'd have friends over and I'd hear live drums, too. One time they all got drunk, got in late and decided to play a game of human bowling because they were throwing themselves against the floor. These weren't little kids but guys in their 20's who should know better than to do that at 2 am. The guitar music during the day didn't bother me at all, though. The floors were SO thin and weak in that place that when I was in the bathroom I could hear the guy upstairs peeing. Literally! It was such a weak place.

When I lived in NY as a kid we had some guys living upstairs whom we dubbed "The Bongo Men." I'll let you figure out why we called them that

After they moved out we got a family who loved to play I think it was tejano music REALLY REALLY LOUDLY with the bass all the way up.

Give me stompers ANY DAY over that.

Old 04-26-2016, 08:21 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,798,197 times
Are they red dot or feather indians? If red dot then count your blessing that there are only a couple of kids. Been there and done that with the living with indians in apartments thing.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:50 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
I live on the top floor, and while that is good, you still have tenants on either side of you or if your apartment is laid out different, maybe you wont.

I do. One tenant is quiet, the other side has a 21 year old boy. nice boy, he has his moments as his bedroom and mine are back to back.

But for the most part is not terrible......but years ago, with different tenants. OMG...ugh...
stomp, she had to be an elephant......but was a 90 lb chinese girl soaking wet...if that. I hated her. LOL

Old 04-27-2016, 04:22 AM

11 posts, read 50,736 times
I've been in the opposite situation. My son was three at the time, and we had neighbors below that would constantly complain and even hit their ceiling with brooms/what have you.

I understand people getting frustrated at loud noises overhead - but my kid was three. I couldn't make him levitate. I didn't let him jump. He could barely run. I remember sitting with him IN A TENT in his bedroom (he'd pretend knock to come in, then would go out and repeat - no running, just walking on a carpeted floor) and having the neighbor knock on the door to ask us to be quiet because they were in their bedroom downstairs studying. I understand wanting a room to be quiet while you study, but if we're barely walking around and you're still complaining, I'll quickly lose my sympathy.

Ironically, we were having our own noises issues from a neighbor that shared a wall with us. He'd get home around 2am and start blasting music so loud you could clearly hear it in my child's bedroom. I very often had to take him to the livingroom to sleep with him on the couch - where we could STILL hear it - and you better believe the downstairs neighbors complained about my kid crying from being woken up and me walking around with him. Mind you, I'm a very petite woman and do not have heavy steps. Lose lose!

It was miserable worrying about my kid making the slightest movement and having someone complain about it. Needless to say, we rented a house next to avoid the problem altogether.

Apartments are simply loud. Noises are amplified. People have differing schedules/different lifestyles.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:35 AM

10 posts, read 91,576 times
I know this is old, but, I figured I'd throw in my two cents.

I've lived in tons of apartments, as my job has me moving around a lot. I've lived in California, NYC, New Jersey, and now Florida and while I agree that noise and slight stomping is to be expected (Not everyone who stomps realizes they're doing it) especially in a downstairs unit, noise that is so loud that you're losing your mind and sanity is not normal; I don't care how crappy the foundation of the building is--I've been an upstairs neighbor as well as a downstairs one and walking can be controlled, you don't have to walk around like a giant inside your own home.

I'm currently in a situation, almost out, that has been the worst neighbor experience I've had thus far. Living under an African American family who don't give a flying f*ck what I say, or the manager says, or what their lease even says because they most likely feel they can do whatever they please. Back in mid June, they brought down tons of family from up north (They moved here from out of state in early March) to stay with them for the whole Summer so the amount of people in that apartment has gone from 2 to 7 and the noise is absolutely unbearable. The ceiling shakes and vibrates because of how loud they stomp-walk, the kids run, the teenagers play basketball in the kitchen, and I literally never get a break because no one in the unit seems to have a job and if you ever see them all leave the apartment, it was like a rare blue moon because no matter what, there was always someone home running around. After I complained so many times and called the police multiple times due to their noise, they began to target me and damage my property.

Leaving is the only choice I have. Luckily I'm getting out most likely payment free since moving is my only option to break my lease and the next apartment I am planning on moving into next is a top floor corner unit. I probably won't get total silence 24/7 but at least I won't have to hear people going buck wild over my head every morning noon and night now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting