Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 05:26 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,523,595 times

Advertisements

When I visited my daughter in the Bay Area, it honestly sounded like horses galloping back & forth in the upstairs apartment. She told me those neighbors also vacuumed in the middle of the night. Their apartment was in a nice area but the construction was cheap so every neighbor's sound was really loud. They waited out their lease & made sure that the next place was on the top floor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 11:53 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,663,810 times
mount speakers to the ceiling pointing up and blast the national anthem or religious music day long from the time you get up until 10 pm. If the management complains contact fox news and say they are attacking your first amendment rights.

Old 11-15-2015, 12:07 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinbro2002 View Post
mount speakers to the ceiling pointing up and blast the national anthem or religious music day long from the time you get up until 10 pm. If the management complains contact fox news and say they are attacking your first amendment rights.
Do you have a practical suggestion? Lol

Old 11-19-2015, 05:23 PM

901 posts, read 1,167,164 times
Uh, no human children under the age of 10 have control over how heavily they step. Come on, folks. Children are people too.

Old 11-21-2015, 11:36 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
When dealing with apartment living, one deals with apartment people, with apartment behavior. Stacking lots of stressed-out people on top of each other tends to do that.

Old 11-22-2015, 12:07 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,030,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinbro2002 View Post
The First Amendment has nothing to do with this. The First Amendment is about government making laws limiting your freedom of speech, not about the landlord telling you to shut up because you're pissing off the neighbors. That's his job.
Quote:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Old 11-22-2015, 12:22 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
There are some economical ideas to try I am having similar issues but not that bad and I am breaking lease early but in meantime you could buy MLV Mass Loaded Vinyl at the best value you can find on net and possibly roll it up and take it with you. You can buy the yellow spray foam cans at Home Depot/Lowes and possible fill you door if its completely hollow like mine. I hear the street sometimes like I am on the street next to the kid with ball.

A friend/musician said he sound proofed a room by pouring sand in walls. That would prob. create a load/weight issue though.

This is the huge downside to hardwood flooring in shared wall/floor situations.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:18 AM

2,546 posts, read 2,462,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
When dealing with apartment living, one deals with apartment people, with apartment behavior. Stacking lots of stressed-out people on top of each other tends to do that.
Why does this have to be politicized? The OP clearly has an issue and what do you do? Offer advice? Nope, you use this opportunity to tilt against the "evils" of apartments, as if the OP is living in the Kowloon walled city.

Old 11-24-2015, 06:57 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,041,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post
Why does this have to be politicized? The OP clearly has an issue and what do you do? Offer advice? Nope, you use this opportunity to tilt against the "evils" of apartments, as if the OP is living in the Kowloon walled city.
Why does this have to be politicized? The OP clearly has an issue and what do you do? Offer advice? Nope, you use this opportunity to politicize the thing. "People living in apartments make noise" is a valid statement. I really don't see how THAT is politicizing things. Saying that such a statement is politicizing things, is ... politicizing things. (Not to mention the whole 'Kowloon' comment. Oops, I just did.)

Old 11-25-2015, 05:50 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,521,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Do you have a practical suggestion? Lol
Seems perfectly practical to me. On one hand it may mask some of the noise from upstairs and on the other it may show the upstairs neighbors just how much noise THEY make if they can hear his music! I'd give it a try... it's only music and it doesn't have to be blaring loud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting