Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 12:45 PM

184 posts, read 143,817 times

Advertisements

If she's a good tenant, don't enforce the 60-day notice. I'd suggest requiring her to have the place professionally cleaned as a favor for letting her out early lIke was already suggested. That way you can rent it again right away and she is happy, too. It would seem easier to be able to put her on the new lease at the same time as her fiancee rather than having to redo that lease just a few weeks into it. If you want to enforce the 60 days you can, but don't be surprised if you lose both her and her fiancee as soon as their respective leases are up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 01:46 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,498,663 times
Tell her
Allow me to list and show your current rental property to potential tenants. I will make the property available for move in AFTER you sign new lease on new property and move out date.
We start fresh at the new property, new deposit and rent. I prorate your old lease and new lease if you move mid month.
Then after vacating I can assess old property condition refund the deposit on old property within legally allotted time. Do my repairs and get the new tenant in.

As long as you both mutually agree to kill the old lease WITH moving into the new property as the clause you still have control over lease.

Old 11-20-2015, 02:58 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,335,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Tell her
Allow me to list and show your current rental property to potential tenants. I will make the property available for move in AFTER you sign new lease on new property and move out date.
We start fresh at the new property, new deposit and rent. I prorate your old lease and new lease if you move mid month.
Then after vacating I can assess old property condition refund the deposit on old property within legally allotted time. Do my repairs and get the new tenant in.

As long as you both mutually agree to kill the old lease WITH moving into the new property as the clause you still have control over lease.
Some good thoughts here! Unfortunately, our plan was to sell the condo in the Spring. So her moving out changes things for us alot.

We wanted to last summer and she asked if we would stall until this Spring so she could finish her degree uninterrupted. So we'd agreed. This is the only case I have ever leased to a friend. She has been a good tenant but had many challenges getting a place. So, we only charged her 50% of market the first 6 months and not even a security deposit. We have done her many favors and knew it was a risk. But she was just a person we wanted to give help to. She has kept the condo very clean and always paid rent on time. The many obstacles she had getting her life in order are now overcome. she worked very hard. We only had one issue of a broken French door and we just paid the $400 to repair it because -- tho her fault -- we knew she didn't have the money. We are thrilled for her that she met this wonderful man and they have taken it slow and now has a ring and a date! I just know I have put her ahead of profit countless times and want, in the new place, for it to transition to a fair business relationship.

Old 11-20-2015, 03:12 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,498,663 times
Then treat it like a business relationship. Tell her she must give you correct notice if she wants to move. Moving into the new place will require xyz conditions to be met as this is now YOUR rental policy and certain requirements must be met. Friend or not.
Look I had a similar situation where we rented to a friend. Eventually after losing literally thousands of dollars in lost revenue over the years, constantly having to work with then to come up with the rent we parted ways.
I treat ALL my rentals as a business transaction now. I'm nice cordial friendly and treat all tenants with respect. But I'm not friends with our tenants. In fact I pretty much prefer never to rent to friends or family.

Old 11-20-2015, 03:31 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,232,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Some good thoughts here! Unfortunately, our plan was to sell the condo in the Spring. So her moving out changes things for us alot.

We wanted to last summer and she asked if we would stall until this Spring so she could finish her degree uninterrupted. So we'd agreed. This is the only case I have ever leased to a friend. She has been a good tenant but had many challenges getting a place. So, we only charged her 50% of market the first 6 months and not even a security deposit. We have done her many favors and knew it was a risk. But she was just a person we wanted to give help to. She has kept the condo very clean and always paid rent on time. The many obstacles she had getting her life in order are now overcome. she worked very hard. We only had one issue of a broken French door and we just paid the $400 to repair it because -- tho her fault -- we knew she didn't have the money. We are thrilled for her that she met this wonderful man and they have taken it slow and now has a ring and a date! I just know I have put her ahead of profit countless times and want, in the new place, for it to transition to a fair business relationship.
You are being super weird and borderline sleazy. Past is meaningless, live in the now. You have a tenant that has requested to change units to live with her fiance, a good tenant that took a trashed place and cleaned it up for you. Knowing that you took his application and the fees that come with it. Now, after you spent their money, you are trying to figure out a "logical" way to demand 60 day notice to move? You should have told them you are going to require the full 60 day notice so they could have planned accordingly back "a few weeks ago" when she first contacted you about it. I've moved tenants from one place to another mid lease with no more than a little overlap and a new deposit, which leaves me with the old deposit so I can use it as it was intended, but I've always laid the requirements and process out at the beginning not halfway through.

Old 11-20-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
You are being super weird and borderline sleazy. Past is meaningless, live in the now. You have a tenant that has requested to change units to live with her fiance, a good tenant that took a trashed place and cleaned it up for you. Knowing that you took his application and the fees that come with it. Now, after you spent their money, you are trying to figure out a "logical" way to demand 60 day notice to move? You should have told them you are going to require the full 60 day notice so they could have planned accordingly back "a few weeks ago" when she first contacted you about it. I've moved tenants from one place to another mid lease with no more than a little overlap and a new deposit, which leaves me with the old deposit so I can use it as it was intended, but I've always laid the requirements and process out at the beginning not halfway through.
How so? I charged nothing at all for the fiancee to apply to rent the townhouse. I have not taken a deposit. No application fees at all and no money has been exchanged regarding the new townhouse. How am I being sleazy? I'm truly confused.

I am trying to "live in the now" and not get tied to the past arrangement (where she paid $600/month for a 2/2 including all utilities....my monthly cost HOA & utilities were $500...during those 6 months I lost money considering taxes & insurance costs) and she did clean up a dirty condo. However, I also had all new flooring installed and I personally cleaned the appliances and I paid a handyman to do any sheetrock repair & painting.She did a lot of cabinet cleaning and being there for contractors to do repairs & installations. She never paid a deposit for her 3 pets or security. But I think it was fine! She is a good person and I was good with all of it. I just don't get what I have done that seems sleazy.

Last edited by WorldKlas; 11-20-2015 at 04:16 PM..

Old 11-20-2015, 04:59 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,665,748 times
Quote:
How so? I charged nothing at all for the fiancee to apply to rent the townhouse. I have not taken a deposit. No application fees at all and no money has been exchanged regarding the new townhouse. How am I being sleazy? I'm truly confused.

I am trying to "live in the now" and not get tied to the past arrangement (where she paid $600/month for a 2/2 including all utilities....my monthly cost HOA & utilities were $500...during those 6 months I lost money considering taxes & insurance costs) and she did clean up a dirty condo. However, I also had all new flooring installed and I personally cleaned the appliances and I paid a handyman to do any sheetrock repair & painting.She did a lot of cabinet cleaning and being there for contractors to do repairs & installations. She never paid a deposit for her 3 pets or security. But I think it was fine! She is a good person and I was good with all of it. I just don't get what I have done that seems sleazy.
I agree about the live in the now. I think to think about purely objectively you have to consider what will happen if you don't let her move.
DO you think he will still rent your place if you tell her give 60 days? I'm betting there's a real good chance he doesn't and instead asks for a month to month lease at his current place(which he will most likely get because this is the worst time to find a new tenant and instead of having a vacancy now they'll have it in the spring). And they move in together in the spring. And you'll have a vacancy in the bigger townhouse(and presumably the higher rent townhouse), for the winter instead of the one she's living in.
You seem to go by the assumption that if you tell her 60 days notice is required he will rent your place anyway and just wait for 2 months for her to move in. I highly doubt that will be the case.
To play devils advocate did the tenant pay %50 below market for a apartment in the condition she rented, and then minus whatever you would have had to pay someone to do whatever fixing up she did. Not trying to attack you here, but I think from the tenant's perspective, they will not see your requirement the same way you did and they do might not see the previous stay at the the condo as one sided as you do.
But for the bottom line if you enforce a 60 day notice, I think the condo your female tenant is staying at will be occupied for the 60 days, and your other townhouse will be vacant, and you will have a pissed off tenant in one unit. I do not see the advantage to this alternative. Your assumption is that the fiancee will still lease the larger unit if you don't let your female tenant(his fiancee) out of her lease. I highly doubt he will.

Old 11-20-2015, 06:13 PM

Quote:
How so? I charged nothing at all for the fiancee to apply to rent the townhouse. I have not taken a deposit. No application fees at all and no money has been exchanged regarding the new townhouse.
Quote:
Smartmove verifications and all is good
That isn't free, are you saying you have been holding a silent grudge against the deal you made, to pay half market value, this whole time and you also paid for his background check?

Quote:
How am I being sleazy? I'm truly confused.
Quote:
You should have told them you are going to require the full 60 day notice so they could have planned accordingly back "a few weeks ago" when she first contacted you about it.
Not telling them you are going to enforce the 60 day notice until right before the move in date is a pretty sleazy way to try to milk some money out of them. You know this or you wouldn't have posted here looking for someone to say what you are doing is the right way to go about it.

Quote:
This whole paragraph is contradictory to living in the now... none of those repairs are something that could reasonable have been ignored or you wouldn't have done them. Don't lump all that up with what you have done for her. Pet deposits are a scam and I say this with 19 rentals, any unreasonable wear can be charged to a tenant already and 9 time out of 10 a landlord who takes a pet fee charges the additional wear and tear on top of it.

Old 11-20-2015, 06:26 PM

Do you even have your 60 day requirement written in an agreement? If you don't this whole conversation is moot as it would revert to the state guidelines for month to month tenancy, more specifically it is considered periodic which would catch your situation. I believe Texas is 30 days and even so if they were to abandon the property you could only collect to the end of the term at most.

Old 11-20-2015, 06:26 PM

Quote:
That isn't free, are you saying you have been holding a silent grudge against the deal you made, to pay half market value, this whole time and you also paid for his background check?

Not telling them you are going to enforce the 60 day notice until right before the move in date is a pretty sleazy way to try to milk some money out of them. You know this or you wouldn't have posted here looking for someone to say what you are doing is the right way to go about it.

This whole paragraph is contradictory to living in the now... none of those repairs are something that could reasonable have been ignored or you wouldn't have done them. Don't lump all that up with what you have done for her. Pet deposits are a scam and I say this with 19 rentals, any unreasonable wear can be charged to a tenant already and 9 time out of 10 a landlord who takes a pet fee charges the additional wear and tear on top of it.
I posted this to ask advise on how to manage the transition. I have not told my tenant I am holding her to the 60 day notice. I am seeking advise. You seem to assume I am going to hold her to the 60 day notice. If I had made that decision I most certainly wouldn't seek input.

I am sorry that you have a very strong need to belittle and humiliate people who ask for advise. It speaks volumes to the kind of person you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting