Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 03:05 PM

544 posts, read 1,237,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
I've been in my condo for a year. There are times when the neighbors' cigarette smoke drifts in, and other times when it does not. I keep windows and doors completely closed, no AC, have a $1000 HEPA / chemical air purifier running and nothing works. I can only surmise that the neighbors are smoking indoors right now as it is raining outside. I am not even sure which neighbor it is -- I have run around the building as soon as I smell the smoke but have not been able to find anyone. The smell even comes in when my adjacent neighbors are not home! So it could really have come from anywhere.

I am coughing out a lung and awake a 3am. I used to be a smoker. But now the smoke is causing asthma at all hours of night (I rarely get asthma attacks), and even headaches. Even my kid woke up at 2am and told me his lungs hurt.

So as you can see there are no fast or hard rules about when one should "know" that there could be hazardous potential, and certainly not from 4 visits.

Second and third hand smoke is a verified health hazard and a huge nuisance. It's way worse than a neighbor making loud noises at 3am. It is a matter of time before this becomes LAW in multiunit dwellings. And yes, people / HOA have lost lawsuits over not doing anything to prevent smoking, even if it is technically "legal" to smoke within your own home.
My 11 year gets headaches also from the weed and cigarettes also. A family member is getting a salt lamp for us.. i'm not sure if it's going to work. Our windows are closed being winter now, but these people are smoking out of their windows and the smoke drifts inside. I can tell exactly from which windows, being the living room or kitchen. They refuse to go outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
Hah..first I will say this is something infuriating, that someone makes assumptions based upon their own feelings or concepts. "Surely they would not do (such and such)". Wow, that is hell..I feel for you.

My parents smoked when I was a child. We would be in the car and my mother would also want the windows rolled up if cold. Luckily and gratefully, they quit when I was a teen, but had sixteen years of exposure. I'm sure my parents were not thinking they were inflicting harm, being definitely addicted, though. There used to smoking everywhere, including workplaces. I recall working in an office in my 20's, where there was such a thick cloud of smoke.

When in one apartment building, residents would sit and chat outside by the pool. I recall while sitting at one of those tables with an umbrella, an older woman joined us and began chain smoking, with smoke just swirling up under the umbrella. As I sat there, I realized I was reacting to it (and course, this type doesn't refrain from smoking). Though I was enjoying socializing as we often had, I left to go inside my apartment. Shortly thereafter, not knowing what was wrong with me, I was diagnosed with Asthma. It's been years since, take medication and have to be careful of my surroundings. There are a few smokers in this building, but some time ago they put up signs restricting them to the front or back of the building. I ultimately want a non-smoking building, but it is difficult to acquire.
I thought ALL resident buildings were non-smoking now? I hope my daughter is not too affected. She's 11 years old. This ll lives maybe 15 minutes away and she can easily come over to verify for herself, yet i've not seen her since June 2015. Perfect scumlord. soooo many issues w/ this place. she completely ignores my texts now for anything.

Old 01-08-2016, 03:14 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,446,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettybaby80 View Post
I thought ALL resident buildings were non-smoking now? I hope my daughter is not too affected. She's 11 years old. This ll lives maybe 15 minutes away and she can easily come over to verify for herself, yet i've not seen her since June 2015. Perfect scumlord. soooo many issues w/ this place. she completely ignores my texts now for anything.
most LL's who refuse to see things for themselves do so becuase by law if they witness something against code or lease they legally have to correct it.

If they avoid the situation it's becuase they are avoiding accountability.

Old 01-08-2016, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
most LL's who refuse to see things for themselves do so becuase by law if they witness something against code or lease they legally have to correct it.

So what can be done before we move out? I'm paying her for a service. It's not right. All she does is collect my money.

Old 01-08-2016, 03:42 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
If the tenants visited during the day perhaps the smokers were at work at the time and it wasn't noticeable.
Or maybe the apartment that they really wanted became available after all, and they wanted an "out"?

Old 01-11-2016, 06:16 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,670,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettybaby80 View Post
No, I wish they were all non-smoking. There are non-smoking vicinities and does not mean the buildings there have affordable rents. There may otherwise be some buildings wedged amongst others which happen to have restrictions. I have a lot to consider, overall, when seeking something new. My building has been decent, appreciate a lot about it and the area, but if there was a smoker living above or nextdoor, I would not be able to handle it.

I'm sorry that is happening. People should not have to suffer this way, it is your home and it is not so easy to move.. and you feel you have no support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post

Ohh.. this explains something, since though my manager is nice and responsible, it is not like she offers to come in to hear the noise I have heard from upstairs neighbors. So, it goes without being witnessed. Though she has spoken to them, it did no good. They do not want to get involved. (However, when there was a guy in an upper unit who three different tenants complained about, they addressed that, asking him to leave).

I have been trying to record it, but is difficult getting these sounds from "overzealous" living noise (not music, fighting - but peculiar habits, thoughtlessness), creating bangs, thuds. (It is not like some experience, but is does not negate that others are invading my space. What makes it worse is, if they KNOW the manager will not bother, then they feel they can do whatever they want. I'll hear them come up the stairs..enter.. then drop something - "thud...roll, roll.." and not just once, but regularly and it is loud even on carpet - imagine on the linoleum. (People say "it's just construction", but no, because not every neighbor has done this). Crazy-making. Sorry - not to alter the subject.

Last edited by In2itive_1; 01-11-2016 at 06:25 AM..

Old 03-03-2016, 03:10 AM

32 posts, read 27,570 times
The reason they gave is geninue of Course. Some peoples have problem from smoking so can not bear more. You can tell them they should have to give 30 or 15 days informing letter to you then they may move out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting