Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 05:42 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times

Advertisements

As a property manager and Broker I would say that if you are responsible to fix them or better said the owner is not responsible that doesn't mean you have to replace them.
We have in almost all leases that if washer/dryer are at a property they are not warranted except for the higher end listings.

We don't expect them to be replaced but some do so and will wither take them with them or ask if we can ask owner to pay some money for them but in our opinion the new bought appliances are the tenants appliances.

We had tenants replace all appliances especially when short sales and foreclosures just starred as they just took them when they left the house they owned and rather their own instead of the rental place appliances.
Tenants were expected upon move out to wither place the original appliances back and they needed to work or leave the newer place appliances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 09:09 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Very true... I had tenants that were foreclosure refugees with much better furniture and appliances that anything I own... heck... my avocado Kenmore Washer/Dryer pair are from the 1960's and my Amana Refrigerator is circa 1980....

One prospective tenant turned down my single family rental because here subzero would not fit... she also had very high end washer and dryer...

Old 12-06-2015, 10:57 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Very true... I had tenants that were foreclosure refugees with much better furniture and appliances that anything I own... heck... my avocado Kenmore Washer/Dryer pair are from the 1960's and my Amana Refrigerator is circa 1980....
You mean they have much CRAPPIER appliances than the ones you own. None of the appliances made today will still be running 50 years from now. Heck, many of them don't even last 10 years!

Old 12-06-2015, 11:08 PM

I guess the more accurate thing to say is they had much more expensive appliances than mine...

After decades of use the old Kenmore Dryer quit... turned out it needed a new belt and the cost was less the $5

This is why I like older appliances... they are serviceable many time for a few dollars.

The condenser motor on the Amana Refrigerator went out and a new one is not available... the parts counter guy said he had a universal that might take some adapting for $24... works like a charm.

As a landlord and property manager... the best business decision I have ever made was to no longer furnish free standing appliances... over half my emergency calls eliminated!

Old 12-06-2015, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
You mean they have much CRAPPIER appliances than the ones you own. None of the appliances made today will still be running 50 years from now. Heck, many of them don't even last 10 years!
One of my legacy tenants was able to get a new stove and refrigerator through a program... I was hesitant because there was nothing wrong with the ones I had furnished... and mine were carefully selected for the unit...

I caved and she got the new appliances and 3 years no problems... then the problems started... the ignitor for the oven stopped... not a simple pilot like before... but now a $60 part and a trip to the parts house and a morning shot.

The compressor on the refrigerator died at year 7... so now junk... so more time wasted and I had to come up with a replacement...

Old 12-06-2015, 11:13 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
I wonder how much more "energy efficient" these new, short-lived appliances really are, once total manufacturing, shipping, and disposal energy costs are figured into the equation.

Old 12-06-2015, 11:18 PM

No doubt they use less to operate electricity wise... they have smaller compressors that run more.

I shop for reliability and robustness... it should be simple to service with off the shelf parts.

A friend bought a $4000 LG Refrigerator and had nothing but problems... after waiting months for parts... the entire unit was replaced under warranty... she left it when she sold the home.

Same with a lot of the front loader washers... especially when they first came out again... anyone that has been around know most all washers in America were front loaders back in the 50's and then we evolved to top loaders...

Old 12-06-2015, 11:42 PM

8 posts, read 17,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I guess the more accurate thing to say is they had much more expensive appliances than mine...

After decades of use the old Kenmore Dryer quit... turned out it needed a new belt and the cost was less the $5

This is why I like older appliances... they are serviceable many time for a few dollars.

The condenser motor on the Amana Refrigerator went out and a new one is not available... the parts counter guy said he had a universal that might take some adapting for $24... works like a charm.

As a landlord and property manager... the best business decision I have ever made was to no longer furnish free standing appliances... over half my emergency calls eliminated!
As a tenant, I can respect that. This is the first time in my 15 years of renting that I've ever had any problems with appliances furnished by the owner. But now that I've gone through this, I wish that it had come with no appliances at all. (Besides the dishwasher. That would be a pain to buy to fit in a house I don't own.) They have eaten up garage space and now given me this stress at move out. In the end it seems that they could possibly prove to be a liability for me. I did not abuse them in any way, I just used them as they were designed to be used.

I want to bring my washer and dryer to the new place and use them in place of the ones already there, but not sure if I can ask them to remove theirs. I'm guessing they probably won't want to which I have to understand.

Maybe over time it will become a trend in rental houses that the tenant supplies their own washer and dryer at the very least. Impractical in apartments though.

Old 12-06-2015, 11:47 PM

Most of the apartments I managed had laundry rooms and some had several.

Built in appliances are still furnished... like built in dishwasher, oven and stoves.

I have converted some to freestanding ranges and no longer provide these.

A few tenants will use lease or rent to own appliances... about half have them for those with nothing... sometimes the leaving tenant will sell... or even just leave them.

Several months ago a tenant of 16 months installed a built in dishwasher without permission...

Not very happy about it as the used a sawzall to cut out the cabinet drawers and doors... and the install does not meet code with an air gap... otherwise they had been fine...

I would never alter property belonging to someone else without asking!

Old 12-07-2015, 04:28 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Measurethesun View Post

Maybe over time it will become a trend in rental houses that the tenant supplies their own washer and dryer at the very least. Impractical in apartments though.

In my area its more common for the tenant to supply their own washer/dryer units in single family homes. In my townhome community, units without garages come with stacked washer/dryer units; units with a garage may or not come with units but the hook ups are in the garage.

Many complexes around here not only have onsite laundry but also have laundry hookups in the units.

If you want to use your own units in your next home, make sure you talk to the landlord before you sign the lease. I can't see them saying no...the most they would say is you'd have to store them in the garage/carport or some where else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting