Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 06:49 PM

100 posts, read 420,013 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if non-paying, sister-using, utterly annoying family members that live with you have tenant rights? One NJ realtor said I needed to give them notice to vacant since my house is for sale, another said I didnt as they pay for NOTHING.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 07:22 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,358,793 times
I'd guess that who's name is on the house title controls what goes on with the house. If she were conducting illegal activity in your house, you'd be liable for providing the place for her to do it. But, if in doubt, ask a lawyer.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:24 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,491,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimsely1 View Post
Does anyone know if non-paying, sister-using, utterly annoying family members that live with you have tenant rights? One NJ realtor said I needed to give them notice to vacant since my house is for sale, another said I didnt as they pay for NOTHING.

Thanks!
If theres no lease, then theres no need for notice. However, it would be smart to advise them that the house is for sale, and give them written notice of when they need to vacate by for the new owners.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:52 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,160,805 times
Technically, she is probably a sub-letter. Try asking her to leave. If she does not, you will probably have to evict her.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:00 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,432,187 times
Explain the house is being sold and that you are willing to help her find another place if she co-operates... if not, you will have to get tough... sometimes a visit from your local Police is Sufficient. The last resort is legal along with all the costs, both monetary and family that go with it.

Sorry for your predicament.

I would present the options and go from there.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:20 PM

106 posts, read 896,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimsely1 View Post

Thanks!
Unless your realtor is planning on paying your legal fees ... don't listen to them.

You do need to give them proper notice, and proper meaning statutorily defined notice.

If they don't vacate, you would need to start an ejectment action if a hold-over action wouldn't be appropriate for your exact situation. Only a lawyer could tell you which would be appropriate.

The fact that they pay for nothing means nothing. You gave them the right to live there, and as such, they are tenants.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
... sometimes a visit from your local Police is Sufficient.
Landlord/Tenant matters are heard in Special Civil.

The police do not and will not have anything to do with it.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post
If theres no lease, then theres no need for notice.
In what Universe?

Old 02-03-2008, 09:36 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,432,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCParalegal View Post
Landlord/Tenant matters are heard in Special Civil.

The police do not and will not have anything to do with it.
Thanks for the update on NJ procedure...

I've been involved in a similar situation and the Police Precinct Commander was very helpful in mediating the situation through reason... and it worked and the person voluntarily vacated.

The Officer said they will often choose to intervene in Boyfriend/Girlfriend disputes by asking the "Guest" to leave.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 02-03-2008 at 09:44 PM..

Old 02-03-2008, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Thanks for the update on NJ procedure...

I've been involved in a similar situation and the Police Precinct Commander was very helpful in mediating the situation through reason... and it worked and the person voluntarily vacated.

The Officer said they will often choose to intervene in Boyfriend/Girlfriend disputes by asking the "Guest" to leave.

The "police precinct commander" is very lucky that both he and the town weren't named in a civil suit for a forcible entry and detainer without lawful execution of a warrant for possession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting