Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 09:00 AM

20,757 posts, read 19,951,234 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am new to being a landlord.

I have a house and I am never home (mostly live with bf) so I am renting out rooms but kept one and stay 1-2 nights a week.

One room is rented out to an intern from work (German student) and one room is rented out to a young military guy. The student is very clean and very quiet.

The military guy moved in and asked if his gf can stay over EVERY NOW AND THEN. Fine. Well, she has a dog. The lease says the renter cannot have pets.

She comes 2-3 nights per week and brings her Husky dog. I have a dog, too. So they leave their dog unattended at the house in common areas and I told them this is totally out of line. So they stopped doing that.

My renter is great but very dirty. When the gf is over, they cook a lot and afterwards, the kitchen is super dirty and they just clean superficially. Over time, my house gets more and more dirty because they don't clean well.

I just paid $7k for a new landscape and frequently find her dogs shyt in my yard. I told him to remove it and he did. Now I went outside and there are two more piles.

I walk my dog 3x per day and my dog does not use the yard as a toilet, just his gfs dog.

I already sent him a letter to clean up more. He is 28 and should know better as being so dirty. I have a cleaning lady come every two weeks but 3 days after she left, it is like she was never here.

Am I out of line sending him another text to clean up the dog poo? I told him 3 weeks ago already. And if I see it again, then tell him the gf can't bring her dog anymore?

He pays rent and should have the right to live as he pleases but does that really mean he can mess up everything and have his guests mess up my stuff as well??

Old 12-11-2015, 09:25 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
The lease says he can't have a pet, so his GF cannot bring over a pet either.

Tell him that. No more dogs. Does your lease say anything about overnight guests?

The cleaning? It appears that his definition of clean is different from yours. Sounds like you will have to spell it out or live with it.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:37 AM

ok, you are right.

I didn't want a female renter because I didn't want the long hair plugging my drains. I didn't want a renter with dog either.

So now I have a renter whose gf stays over 2-3 nights a week and her dog is ****ting in my yard and she doesn't even pay rent!! I know I cannot restrict the lease and tell him not to have guests over at all (it is agreed in the lease).

But the lease says NO DOGS.

He is staying another 11 months, so this would mean another $7,000 from him ...

Old 12-11-2015, 09:48 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
ok, you are right.

I didn't want a female renter because I didn't want the long hair plugging my drains. I didn't want a renter with dog either.

So now I have a renter whose gf stays over 2-3 nights a week and her dog is ****ting in my yard and she doesn't even pay rent!! I know I cannot restrict the lease and tell him not to have guests over at all (it is agreed in the lease).

But the lease says NO DOGS.

He is staying another 11 months, so this would mean another $7,000 from him ...
This is the part that sucks about being a landlord. You have to deliver the bad news as well as the good news. In this case, I would send it in writing.

But it is YOUR house, and he did agree to the rules when he signed the lease.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
This is the part that sucks about being a landlord. You have to deliver the bad news as well as the good news. In this case, I would send it in writing.

But it is YOUR house, and he did agree to the rules when he signed the lease.
I have come to terms that all my stuff is going to get trashed, my expensive tools/dishes/knifes/pots. But seeing the dog poo in my brandnew landscape makes me livid.

The lease says HE cannot have any pets living there. The gf and the dog are visitors and the lease doesn't say that visitors can't bring pets

Old 12-11-2015, 11:17 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
If she's spending that much time in the house, the dog is living there. Tell him the dog is not permitted on the property. If you need to tell him you are concerned about an increase in your insurance rate if the dog is on the property. That type of dog (husky) often incurs extra costs from insurance companies. Hopefully your own dog is not on the breed list of dogs insurance companies don't like.

Old 12-11-2015, 11:25 AM

My dog is big, too, but a mixed breed.

I really do not like the gf being there and showering and cooking (he offered to pay more utilities but I declined because I did not want her to feel entitled to be there). I did agree though that she can stay overnight 2-3 nights because he often stays at her place until late night, too. I saw it as a give and take balance. But i think she lives with roomies as well and so they are at my house during the weekends because I am not home and the other renter travels a lot so they can pretty much do what they want throughout the whole house. I already caught him doing her laundry and sent him a warning letter.

I might be overreacting since she really is not there every day. But just the 2-3 nights a week already make me feel weird because I feel like the 5th wheel when I go into my kitchen or living room and they play "house" there and she cooks in my kitchen.

He said he lived in room mate situations before and never had issues, therefore I was wondering if I am unreasonable.

Old 12-11-2015, 11:29 AM

Is it totally out of line to rent a room to somebody and they can't have ANY overnight guests or overnight guests who are not allowed to shower and NOT allowed to use the kitchen?

I am thinking of rewriting the lease if this renter moves out.

I used to rent rooms when I was younger and my bf came overnight but never hung around the kitchen and never took a shower. I found this common courtesy and it was not in the lease or anything.

Old 12-11-2015, 11:42 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
WOW your BF Never took a bath eeeeeewwwyyy

Old 12-11-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
WOW your BF Never took a bath eeeeeewwwyyy
Very funny. But thanks for reading
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting