Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 06:28 AM

5 posts, read 4,129 times

Advertisements

About a month back my sister (16) was living with me. She had her bum of a boyfriend in and out all the time. Finally I said enough was enough and he wasn't allowed over anymore.

Anyway, after I banned him from my building he came over to see her again (was unaware) I guess he became mad and when he left my building's front door he pushed the door SUPER hard (on purpose) and it hit the door buzzer box, shattering the window.

This was caught on camera and they had a witness. So as soon as I found out it was him I called my mom and she called the police for vandalism. The police got here and they're all outside talking. My mother is telling them to do something with my sister's ex and my sister is pleading with my landlord for him to let her ex make payments. For whatever reason the landlord decided to be nice and let her boyfriend make payments. He listened to a 16 year old over my mother who was a co signer on the lease... (I was at work when the police showed up)

My sister's ex put 50 down (total cost 350 to repair the window) and hasn't made a payment since. So lately my landlord has been nagging me about payments. Last night he finally told me he's taking 100 out of my rent for the door. So I looked at him and told him he can have his rent or the door fixed but I can't do both (more like won't).

Tldr can he force me to pay something I didn't do? I guess I'm guilty by association because her boyfriend was here to see my sister when he shattered the door... so he's holding me personally responsible despite the fact we called the cops on the day of the incident and I was unaware he was IN my apartments building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 06:53 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
YOU are the one the landlord is doing business with.

The ex was on his property, by association, because of you.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:18 AM

54 posts, read 80,836 times
Most residential leases will have something in them about tenant responsibility for guest conduct. As this was not some random vandalism and was caused by your (unwelcome) guest, your landlord can indeed hold you responsible. If you want to continue living there, your best move is to pay the LL for the damage and then go after your sisters boyfriend in small claims. Should be an easy win with a police report, collecting might be another matter.

If you did indeed "ban" the BF and your sister still allowed him over she should feel obligated to help you out but probably couldn't legally be held responsible as she was also your guest, assuming she isn't on the lease (she should be if she's living there).

Edit- if your sister and her boyfriend are both minors, then you're probably out of luck.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:38 AM

5 posts, read 4,129 times
Her boyfriend is 20. So despite the fact the landlord agreed to make payments with the boyfriend i'm stuck paying cause the boyfriend didn't? Doesn't seem right, imo.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:44 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Maybe not right but that's life! Why is your mom allowing your 16 yr sister date a 20 yr old? Most states that Not legal!

Old 12-15-2015, 09:50 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,758,112 times
Pay the landlord and sue the boyfriend.

Old 12-15-2015, 09:54 AM

305 posts, read 569,580 times
^Is $350 really worth suing for?

Old 12-15-2015, 09:59 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,758,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned B View Post
Depends on the person. I'm just simply stating that it is their responsibility to pay for it to the landlord, the landlord certainly did not cause the damage. Tenant needs to pay for the door and if they feel like they need to, sue the boyfriend. Their choice, but the landlord needs to be compensated.

Old 12-15-2015, 10:30 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
The damage happened due to someone you allowed to be in the house. That makes it your damage, whether you did it or not. Same as if you had a party and someone threw a ball through a window. Or if you had kids and the kids cut a hole in the carpet with scissors. The police report will allow you to sue the boyfriend if you so choose.

And if the landlord has a halfway decent lease, they will be able to evict you for nonpayment of this. So unless you want an eviction on your record (they stay for life and most landlords will not rent to you if you have one), you'd be well advised to pay this. Plus, if your mother is a cosigner, your refusal to pay this will result in her credit also being hit if a judgment is filed.

Fair? No. Life? Yes

In my opinion, I'd be requiring my sister to pay for this and sue her own boyfriend. But ultimately, you are responsible. If your mother is a cosigner, then ultimately she is also responsible. Make sure she knows about this.

Old 12-15-2015, 10:30 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned B View Post

Sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting