Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 04:38 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,232,887 times

Advertisements

I would not confront him. There is nothing you can do. You cant stop walking or flushing the toilet. Do mention it to the landlord, so he knows what the issue is. He probably knows there is nothing you can do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2015, 07:15 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,232,302 times
Never confront a neighbor, you don't know who these people are or what they are capable of.

Are your floors hard or carpet? If they are hard I would put furniture pads or rugs under the bed posts so when you get up the noise isn't traveling through. That goes for all your furniture, to prevent scratching you should do this anyway on wood floors. You can find a section in Walmart with furniture pads or any home improvement store.

Old 12-21-2015, 04:43 AM

584 posts, read 1,934,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Walk Lightly... remove shoes. put down rug runners. Do you have pets? I found out my neighbor had a cat cause she played with balls all night long & I couldn't figure out what the noise was. Once I did I was able to ignore it...
No cant get evicted unless its excess or after quiet time. Part of life.
should not have to take shoes off in own place,

Old 12-21-2015, 12:38 PM

488 posts, read 856,814 times
You cannot be evicted to normal noise. Walking and flushing a toilet are normal noise and your neighbour is going to have to learn to deal or move. No one should be afraid to walk in their own home. Let it go.

Do not confront. Just let it go.

If this neighbour goes to his landlord complaining about you excessively "walking" or toilet flushing, your landlord is just going to laugh at him.

Old 12-21-2015, 01:05 PM

403 posts, read 472,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyJune View Post
You cannot be evicted to normal noise. Walking and flushing a toilet are normal noise and your neighbour is going to have to learn to deal or move. No one should be afraid to walk in their own home. Let it go.

Do not confront. Just let it go.

If this neighbour goes to his landlord complaining about you excessively "walking" or toilet flushing, your landlord is just going to laugh at him.

I believe you can only complain about noise after 11pm and before 7am so anything after that you have to deal with it as a tenant. Last monday from 6pm to 11pm, the cats upstairs were very loud and it was nothing I could say because of the time it was happening.

Old 12-21-2015, 02:04 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,271,700 times
Save the Notices But send Copy to the LL every time you get one.

Old 12-21-2015, 02:05 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,271,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendleton42 View Post
should not have to take shoes off in own place,
Fine hope you understand when Clicking High Heals & Combat boots are over your head!

Old 12-21-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Fine hope you understand when Clicking High Heals & Combat boots are over your head!
I admit, high heels can be annoying, but if something that insignificant bothers you, you shouldn't be in an apartment. People are entitled to walk in their own apartment, shoes or no shoes. You have to accept that living in an apartment means you are going to hear other people. We're not talking about blasting music at an inconsiderate level here. We're talking about WALKING.

Old 12-21-2015, 02:19 PM

403 posts, read 472,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyJune View Post
I admit, high heels can be annoying, but if something that insignificant bothers you, you shouldn't be in an apartment. People are entitled to walk in their own apartment, shoes or no shoes. You have to accept that living in an apartment means you are going to hear other people. We're not talking about blasting music at an inconsiderate level here. We're talking about WALKING.
What about if someone decides to workout knowing that people lives below them?

Old 12-21-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by te3t View Post
What about if someone decides to workout knowing that people lives below them?
Again, if things like that bother you, you shouldn't live in an apartment. I'm entitled to do my Turbo Jam during reasonable hours in my home.

I used to live in an apartment where the person above me moved in an electronic, full gym professional type treadmill. That thing sounded like an off-balance washing machine 5 feet from my head, but I was awake whenever they used it, so who am I to tell them they can't exercise? After the first week or two, I barely noticed it anyway. I just turned up the television a bit and got on with my own business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting