Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 07:12 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times

Advertisements

As others have noted, check your lease and your locality's regs about yard sales and collecting sales tax. At the very least, not giving you notice and blocking access to your driveway do not seem right.

Ordinarily, a renter is entitled to the "quiet enjoyment" of the premises. But you have to ask yourself whether getting in a fight with your LL, even if you are in the right, is worth it to you. You could win the fight and still lose the place where you are living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 07:15 PM

350 posts, read 477,670 times
You normally do not collect sales tax on used items.

Old 12-21-2015, 07:29 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhorsewoman View Post
Depends on where you live.

Old 12-21-2015, 07:30 PM

4 posts, read 4,949 times
I am in Ga. I do have a lease. The premises on the lease are just the address. It doesn't say anything about the landlord coming on the property.

Old 12-21-2015, 07:57 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,780,482 times
Plan on moving, unless rent is so low that you will put up with it. But don't fight with LL. Tenant always loses that battle.

Old 12-21-2015, 07:59 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
What would you like to do?

If the landlord's actions are continuous and egregious it could allow you to terminate the agreement.

Does seem odd the Landlord would block driveway access a rent paying tenant.

On the other hand... the owner may have other plans and tipped his hand by the construction of storage sheds and frequent access.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:55 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
1st READ your lease see IF the Yard is included. Does LL Maintain the yard or You. IF he does LL don't need your permission to enter nor give you notice.
Yeah ok to enter and do maintenance sure. Blocking driveways and having a garage sale isn't maintenance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhorsewoman View Post
Of course you can sometimes collect tax on used items. Depends if you're reselling as a business or your state or county demands tax to be paid on certain items. If you're a business liquidating you have to declare the sold item income

Old 12-21-2015, 09:57 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherish2629 View Post
I moved into my home 6 months ago. I was told that there was a building on the property that I would not have access to. Soon after I moved in the landlord put a large storage building on the property without warning. I didn't like it but I did not say anything. Last week, another building was put on the property. He didn't tell me it was coming either.

This past weekend he had a yard sale Saturday and Sunday that lasted until the night. I did not know that he was doing this until Saturday when he showed up with about 8 of his friends. They had my driveway blocked for 2 days. I am furious. What rights do I have? Keep in mind that he doesn't live on my property. Can he keep putting buildings on the property and have yard sales here?
First it is not your property.
After that read your lease.
Read here, then take the steps necessary to get your questions answered:
State Landlord Tenant Laws

Old 12-21-2015, 10:01 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
1st READ your lease see IF the Yard is included. Does LL Maintain the yard or You. IF he does LL don't need your permission to enter nor give you notice.
Actually, in most states, the leasing of residential property includes all the property unless excluded. The landlord would need to listed specifically what is excluded from the entire property or what is included from the entire property. If it's vague, non specific, or omitted, the default is the tenant has quiet enjoyment use of the entire property.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:53 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherish2629 View Post
......... I was told that there was a building on the property that I would not have access to.....
You need to check and see just exactly what your lease says. You were told right there, before you decided to take the house, that you did not get possession of the entire property. I suspect that your lease only includes the house and not all of the property. If there was already a building that didn't go with the lease and there was additional room for building more storage buildings, then it is a relatively large property. You didn't lease all of the property, just the house.

You might, politely, mention to the landlord that you didn't like having your driveway blocked. I assume that the driveway is the only access to your house, because how the property is laid out and where the driveway is located will say whether or not you get exclusive use to it, or even whether or not it is included with the house.

Because you appear to be unhappy with the place, I suggest that you consider moving to a different house, with a smaller yard, where you get the yard included with the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting