Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 09:25 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times

Advertisements

Trulia lists crime statistics for most addresses.
Just punch in the address in your search engine and click on Trulia. On bottom left are crime statistics. Not every police department releases all crime statistics. Most do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 09:36 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,034,491 times
I thought that he was worried about renting an apartment where somebody had been murdered, previously.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:07 AM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
I thought that he was worried about renting an apartment where somebody had been murdered, previously.
Me 2

Old 12-22-2015, 10:09 AM

488 posts, read 857,602 times
Murder is the worst judge of crime. Murder is almost always committed by someone who knows you. A particularly high murder rate is likely to indicate a gang area - which unless you do something to get on the gang's radar, you're still not likely to be a victim, though rogue bullets from a drive by are problematic. Otherwise, I wouldn't even take it into consideration. Look at burglaries, thefts, and I'll glance at assaults and rapes as well. Those last two are often someone who knows you as well, so unless the numbers are particularly high from the norm, I don't worry about it.

Though to be perfectly honest, I don't worry about crime much at all. I stay out of gangland areas, don't take unnecessary risks, keep my wits about me while walking alone, and the rest is up to fate. I lived in St. Louis for 20 years (city proper for 12) and was never a victim of a violent crime. If you pay attention to the media, you'd think I was in constant danger living in a war zone, but the media likes to induce fear.

Old 12-26-2015, 09:12 PM

197 posts, read 279,435 times
No, the issue isn't me being personally murdered. Although I may have worded the question to sound like that.

The issue is crime in general and using the murder rate as a way of judging how dangerous a neighborhood is. Redondo Beach, CA has had 3 murders so far in 2015. Compton, CA has had 16 murders so far in 2015.

I don't know anyone in Compton, but wouldn't a neighborhood with more murders have a higher rate of other crime? More assaults? More burglaries?

Old 12-27-2015, 03:11 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,239,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamReady2Move View Post
No, the issue isn't me being personally murdered. Although I may have worded the question to sound like that.

The issue is crime in general and using the murder rate as a way of judging how dangerous a neighborhood is. Redondo Beach, CA has had 3 murders so far in 2015. Compton, CA has had 16 murders so far in 2015.

I don't know anyone in Compton, but wouldn't a neighborhood with more murders have a higher rate of other crime? More assaults? More burglaries?
That is the assumption law enforcement makes so I would agree with that. Murder rates are much more likely to be accurate compared to things like vandalism and rape which go unreported more often than murders.

Old 12-28-2015, 08:39 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
Me too. I was trying to decide how long ago the murder would have had to of been in order for me to rent. Last tenant murdered? Nope, not renting. But if the murder was 10 or so years ago? Maybe, as long as it wasn't too torturous. And as long as it wasn't a high profile murder where I would have tour buses driving by.

Old 12-28-2015, 08:42 PM

8,232 posts, read 3,492,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
OMG - I read the title and thought the OP would be asking if a renter being a murderer is a big deal to landlords!!

Glad this wasn't the case.....
The thread title is quite an eye catcher.

Old 12-29-2015, 02:41 PM

488 posts, read 857,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamReady2Move View Post

Okay, everyone knows Compton is prime gang territory, so the murder rate is self-explanatory. (Although it's apparently improving dramatically Straight into Compton: house prices soar as murderous gangs reach truce - Telegraph

And no, as I previously mentioned, murder doesn't correlate to other crime. Murder is personal. Robberies and burglaries are an entirely different class of crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting