Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 03:21 PM

1 posts, read 4,480 times

Advertisements

What rights do children have living/visiting in an apartment? Our below neighbor complained about the children walking, singing, talking and making loud noises. Is there a legal time frame for noise? We try to settle them and get them in bed before 10. Can't take them out during the winter months. Help! So frustrating when they r visiting us for the holidays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 03:47 PM

488 posts, read 857,464 times
They have the same "rights" as an adult. Normal noise during proper hours is fine (city ordinances vary, you can Google for your specific city, but generally assume around 7a - 10 pm).

People can complain all they want, but it doesn't mean that anyone has to do anything about it.

Just ensure the children exercise some basic courtesy - let's not have them have jumping contests or anything that is going to really rattle the walls or floor. But basic running, playing, singing - there's nothing wrong with that.

Now, this is assuming it is a building where children are allowed. If you are in a retirement community, for example, things may be different. You'll need to read your lease. There may be actual rules in your community about this subject.

Old 12-28-2015, 05:02 PM

544 posts, read 1,237,931 times
singing, walking, talking is fine, but i don't think running inside an apartment is ok at anytime. whether your upstairs or even on first floor. You don't know how thin/thick the walls and floors are. I have a family under me , first floor, unbelievably noisy. My apartment floor, their ceiling literally shakes with the thumping, pounding etc down there. Running to me should be for outside, jumping also. Also, no everyone works during the day.

Old 12-28-2015, 06:01 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,109,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyJune View Post
They have the same "rights" as an adult. Normal noise during proper hours is fine (city ordinances vary, you can Google for your specific city, but generally assume around 7a - 10 pm).

People can complain all they want, but it doesn't mean that anyone has to do anything about it.

Just ensure the children exercise some basic courtesy - let's not have them have jumping contests or anything that is going to really rattle the walls or floor. But basic running, playing, singing - there's nothing wrong with that.
You sound like you would make for a nightmare upstairs neighbor. If I didn't have several inches of concrete between my family and my downstairs neighbor I would either 1) NOT allow my children to run inside the house or 2) Find another place to rent.

Anything less IMO is extremely rude and inconsiderate.

Old 12-29-2015, 01:11 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,498,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
You sound like you would make for a nightmare upstairs neighbor. If I didn't have several inches of concrete between my family and my downstairs neighbor I would either 1) NOT allow my children to run inside the house or 2) Find another place to rent.

I agree 100% but take it from someone in a concrete building, you can hear kids running upstairs...I can hear them drag furniture and drop things. I was kind of disappointed that you can hear these things but it was my fault for taking a first floor...I should have known better.

Old 12-29-2015, 01:14 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imnette View Post
Can't take them out during the winter months. Help! So frustrating when they r visiting us for the holidays.
Huh? Why not? (I'm especially perplexed since your profile zip indicates that you live in North Las Vegas!)

Old 12-29-2015, 01:40 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,238,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Huh? Why not? (I'm especially perplexed since your profile zip indicates that you live in North Las Vegas!)
That's a good catch. It is almost the same temp and my son, 2 years, and I were out playing just a few minutes ago. I put him in pajama pants then jeans and a thermal shirt with a T over it and he is pleanty warm for this 50 degree weather. Lazy parents?

Old 12-29-2015, 02:30 PM

488 posts, read 857,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post

I'm a fabulous upstairs neighbour, because I spent 13 years as a downstairs neighbour, thank you very much. I know exactly what it means to have noise above you. My point was that there are some people who are going to complain about any tiny bit of noise they hear. People are allowed to LIVE in their homes, not just tiptoe around for fear of upsetting people.

I have lived under all kinds of noise and never complained, because it was always noise of general living. I don't have kids, but if I did, I'd say they are allowed to play as children during the day (within reason - I did say no jumping contests, for example). Night time is quiet time.

Old 12-29-2015, 03:17 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
That's a good catch. It is almost the same temp and my son, 2 years, and I were out playing just a few minutes ago. I put him in pajama pants then jeans and a thermal shirt with a T over it and he is pleanty warm for this 50 degree weather. Lazy parents?
It was 75 degrees in Raleigh today. Walking around in shorts sleeves and flip flops.

Old 12-29-2015, 03:39 PM

544 posts, read 1,237,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
I agree 100% but take it from someone in a concrete building, you can hear kids running upstairs...I can hear them drag furniture and drop things. I was kind of disappointed that you can hear these things but it was my fault for taking a first floor...I should have known better.

Yea , me too. I moved to a highrise in the Bronx last year, 8th floor of 24 floors. I heard everything, but talking. bass, running, heels, etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting