Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 07:16 PM

1 posts, read 4,960 times

Advertisements

Im semi living out of a storage unit. They allow u to enter any time of the day or night. It is an indoor self storage. The facility can only be entered with a passcode. There is electricity in my unit. It is also climate controlled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 08:56 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,353,526 times
My employer and I knew someone who owned a small apartment building with storage spaces for tenants in the basement, as well as a suite of rooms (including bathroom with shower) which had once been used as an illegal apartment. My boss rented the space as a storage area.and I once lived there for four months and nobody noticed.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:49 AM

1 posts, read 4,914 times
Default Living in Storage Units... Yes, I have seen it!

I live in Orange County California. As a side job, I do the "Storage Wars" thing. I have personally witnessed several people who live in their storage units. I also rent an inexpensive unit, and in my 24 hour storage complex, there are two guys who live in their units.

Personally, I don't think it is so bad. All the people I have witnessed living in their units have them fixed up so they are livable, have couches and chairs, dressers, mini fridges, and light. In some cases, their units have electricity so that makes it even easier.

I know this for sure: if they had other options for shelter, they would reach for them. One guy was homeless, and it made sense for him to be off the street at night. The other two guys got divorced, lost their jobs or businesses with the economy, and are now struggling to keep their heads above water.

If you keep a low profile, pay your rent on time, choose your unit wisely, and do not disturb anyone, it is very easy to live in a storage unit. In most, if not all, cases the management knows what the tenants are doing... they just turn a blind eye and allow it to continue. After all, the owners and managers of the storage units are having a hard time keeping units rented. This way, everyone wins.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:30 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,392,100 times
Default And...

I watched a News report that featured business men who had their offices set up in storage units. Worked their entire business out of it for a fraction of the rent it would normally cost them. Pretty interesting.
Koale

Old 09-28-2011, 01:37 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,828,792 times
My storage space is nicer than my apartment.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:54 AM

1 posts, read 3,998 times
What is not considered or talked about for whatever reason is:
1. You find a 24 hour facility that you can enter at any time.....(They are everywhere)
2. Do it in Florida. It's warm all year around
3. Buy a cheap scooter. Then bring your "Vehicle" inside the faciity with you to sleep
4. Get two storage units so you can come and go every other day as to not be seen in the same place every day.
5. Get a membership at a gym so you can shower and use their facilities to wash and use the bathroom.
6. Read this over and over and you will understand this is possible. Oh and while your at it...if you go to a home depot get a fixture for the light that will be inside your storage unit. Unscrew the bulb and put the adapter that has other power sources for input. Then place your bulb back in. You now have power for anything u need inside that unit.
Good luck and be smart.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:54 AM

9,892 posts, read 9,521,529 times
I had a storage unit a few years ago, and even though it was kind of warm out, it was 20 degrees colder inside the storage facility. i'd never ever be able to sleep in one. too cold!!! wonder if they do this on purpose to discourage people from getting too cozy.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:49 AM

32,539 posts, read 47,631,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Survivor View Post
What .............. Oh and while your at it...if you go to a home depot get a fixture for the light that will be inside your storage unit. Unscrew the bulb and put the adapter that has other power sources for input. Then place your bulb back in. You now have power for anything u need inside that unit.......
And that would be theft. Taking what does not belong to you, without permission, and without paying for it is stealing.

The holder of a storage unit is not paying for residential electricity. He is paying for the electricity to light up the unit just long enough to move stuff in, or to go in and do a brief a search to retrieve an item and then leave.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:32 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,349,846 times
How do you handle bathroom needs living in a storage unit? I can see joining a gym for a shower, but I find it helpful to have a toilet close to my bedroom.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:00 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,524,983 times
^^^ See post #20. Any more information would be TMI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting