Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2008, 01:52 AM

215 posts, read 1,657,844 times

Advertisements

In my local newspaper they have ad's for Apartments, Basement Apartments, Flats, Rooms, Houses, Condos, etc etc. What is the difference between all of these? My assumption is that a "Room" is one room in a house, a bedroom, and everyone else is shared. An Apartment is found in an apartment building, or in a small apartment building, and that you have your own washroom and kitchen. A condo is like an apartment but nicer (and ore expensive) and a house is, well, a hosue. What the heck is a "Flat" though? I once asked someone, as a joke "Can a flat have stairs in it" and he said yes, so I'm at a total loss on this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 10:22 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,487,801 times
Apartments:
Are typically in a complex. Usually have a management office attached and some showing of amenities.

Basement Apartment:
Basement version of above. Might also be referring to a Duplex/multiplex.

Condo:
Tend to be nicer than apartments, larger and have a mix of owner-occupied (condo owners) and tenants (renters). Also come in complexes, and are sometimes used interchangably with the term townhouse.

House:
Free standing structure, usually with yard. Big advantage is that you don't share a wall with anyone.

Duplex/Multiplex:
House, but divided into multiple units. Typically owner owned rather than management companies like Apartments. They also typically inhabit one of the units.

Flat:
I assume this is the same as a 'loft' apartment. Hence the stairs. Similar to a duplex/Multiplex, you're renting a portion of the building, but it tends to be just one or two rooms, with a big open floor plan.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:06 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,048,141 times
A flat is really supposed to be an entire floor of a house. This is distinct from a townhouse which is one of several multi-level residences in a row.

Condos are individually owned. Apartments are all owned by the same person. Other than that they might be identical.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
A flat is really supposed to be an entire floor of a house. This is distinct from a townhouse which is one of several multi-level residences in a row.

Condos are individually owned. Apartments are all owned by the same person. Other than that they might be identical.
For renting purposes, condos and apartments are fairly similar, however... if there is an exterior problem (roof leaks), then you need to talk to the Homeowner's assocation and not just your landlord. If its an internal issue (broken pipe), you need to talk to your landlord.

Apartments, you talk to the landlord/management company.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:09 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,079,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post

I thought a flat was just an apartment...without stairs.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:13 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,079,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post
Apartments:
Condo:
Tend to be nicer than apartments, larger and have a mix of owner-occupied (condo owners) and tenants (renters). Also come in complexes, and are sometimes used interchangably with the term townhouse.
Also, I lived in an apartment complex, which they advertised as having 2 and 3 bedroom flats (apartment, no stairs), and townhomes as well. I lived in a townhouse there and I usually just call it an apartment unless I'm describing what it looked like.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:21 AM

thanks for the info.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:24 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,048,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeaTexan View Post
I thought a flat was just an apartment...without stairs.
That is... an apartment. If you divide a San Francisco rowhouse into three units - one on each floor - then you have three flats.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:24 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,332,580 times
An apartment is a self-contained housing unit that occupies only part of a building. Apartments may be owned (by an owner-occupier) or rented (by tenants).

The term "apartment" is favored in North America, whereas the term "flat" is sometimes, but not exclusively used in the United Kingdom and most other English-speaking areas and Commonwealth nations.

Apartment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting