Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 11:04 PM

29 posts, read 36,169 times

Advertisements

Wow, this got completely off topic at an enormously fast pace!

Let's get some things straight......

I DO NOT care if you don't share my point of view on homeless pets. That is not why I asked for advice. I would have thought someone would put their personal views on hold for one minute and offer some advise that they would give to anyone and not discriminate against someone with a voucher and a disability. Obviously I was wrong.

No matter if I have a voucher or paying for the rent in full there are still laws that must be followed. I merely disclosed that information for people who have experience with the process, not to be crucified at the stake!

I should not, and will not, accept a place just because they accept vouchers. If they agreed to paint then, voucher or not, they should paint. That is the agreement. The whole point of a voucher is so people can find a safe and nice place to stay with limited income. Not to live substandard to everyone else, and whether or not you agree with this is a moot point.

I did not ask on how to find a place to rent with a voucher and 5 dogs. I am simply asking for advice on what to do when the landlord is not responding, no repairs have been made, and we are less than 2 weeks from the move in date. Am I being antsy, maybe, but I am far from harassing anyone.

So please, if you cannot objectively give RENTAL advise then quit trolling and shut up! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 08:40 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess9483 View Post

Immediately I asked for the gas meter number since the gas company only had one at that address and I wanted to make sure I wasn't paying for both units. Over a month later I still haven't received it. I have been contacting the landlord about a good day, time, etc. for me to come by to get it, some measurements, and the a/c filter size and she either tells me that the current tenant hasn't called her back or she has been too sick to go over there. We are less than 2 weeks from me moving in, I have to be out by the 31st at 4pm, and I still haven't gotten an official move out date for the current tenant nor an approved move in time. I sent the landlord an email Friday the 15th saying I need all of the above mentioned and that she needs to contact me ASAP. I still haven't heard from her. I went by the place Saturday and it looks like nothing has been done and the unit is still occupied. Naturally I am freaking out. The Uhaul has been scheduled, electricity will be switched, and there is only 12 days left for the old tenant to be out, place to be cleaned, painted, and repaired.
So let me see if I can address some of these things:

On a duplex in my area, there is only one gas meter per address, because each unit has its own address. I would never agree to get the meter number for a tenant. Each unit has its own meter, period. If the tenant wants to check, they should just give the gas company the other address of the duplex and make sure that unit is being billed separately. They should divulge that information for that reason. So that is an unreasonable request to me.

I don't give tenants measurements. We don't rent any units sight unseen, so you would have seen the unit at the point we signed a lease. If you wanted measurements, should have gotten them then. Otherwise, you wait until the house is empty, not before. Unreasonable to bother an existing tenant for this.

A/C filter doesn't need to be known until you move in. Sometimes, I have that information on file, but sometimes not. There is no reason to bother an existing tenant for that.

So none of those requests are reasonable in my opinion.

HOWEVER, if the current tenant is still living there, you do need an answer on whether the unit will be available by the 31st. Most leases go through the end of the month, so it is entirely possible the current tenant will move out at 5:00 on the 31st, and the unit will not be available for several days after that. You need to know whether that is the case here or whether the tenant is moving this weekend, leaving a week to get it ready for you. A week should be plenty of time for turnover. We do most of them in 3 days, but painting adds at least 1 day, maybe 2. So that information is a VERY reasonable request. Does your lease start the 31st? Did you not have conversation about the start date at the lease signing? Or have you not signed a lease yet? If not, that is a problem, and you may find yourself homeless for a few days until the unit is ready.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:25 AM

324 posts, read 270,917 times
Look not to be mean but you are the one that brought up your dogs. Which says you think it may be part of the issue. They may well be. The landlords insurance company me be balking at the number of dogs or types since many policies now limit pet numbers. Many municipalities also limit pet numbers to stop backyard breeding and hoarders. You don't know what the landlord is dealing with.

Stop pestering them about measurements. You will get them when you move in like any other tennant. Right now you're making yourself look like a possible nuisance and troublemaker before moving in. And they can't very well paint the place and do any repairs if there are still tennant in there. Then those tennant can take the landlord to court and sue.....

Section 8 will want that apartment inspected after the existing tennants move out to be sure that all repairs are done before they start paying your rent. That takes time.

Contact your advisor and speak to them NOW. They may speak to your existing landlord and get an extension or put you up in a hotel (which also has the right to limit the number of pets and may require a hefty nonrefundable deposit).

As far as not understanding... I have rescue dog that was so aggressive from whatever happened in her past she was about to be put down. She's a different dog now but still has her moments which is why she is never allowed out of my sight when outside. I've had to change rv parks due to her size/breed when the insurance decides to change the rules. Which is why I am squeezing every penny for the next 3 years to buy even a POS mobile home with a sliver of land. I make less than 14,000 a year so broke as can be.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:41 AM

Sorry for the delay. I take other people's opinions of me to heart and just did not want to open this thread after the brutal morning I had yesterday. Thank you for all of the advice even the ones I didn't want.

I have officially ended my business relationship with the landlord since it was obvious the place would not be ready on the 1st. As of yesterday, the tenant was still there and the landlord was still singing the same old song, she was stopping over there today, she meant to call me back but dog ate her phone, blah, blah, blah. I was being strung along and I am glad it is over! I understand she is a landlord and not a therapist but completely ignoring emails, just two over this past week, and 3 voicemails is not professional imo. So she refunded my deposit. It's kinda funny because when I showed up, with a friend, to retrieve it she acted like she didn't know who I was nor why I was there even though we agreed to the time I was to come by and she had met me 2x and talked to me multiple times. It's safe to say I'm probably not the nut case in this scenario lol.

This is a moot point now, but the whole issue with the gas meter was because both places had the same address just with either a #1 or #2 at the end. The gas company did not have that distinction in their records so the meter number was required.

Upon speaking with my counselor, the best thing I can do is find another place that is vacant and ready for an inspection. Unfortunately there is nothing else they can do if the inspection isn't done in time. I would have to find other arrangements and pay for them. So right now faith is the only thing I am relying on. I will see another place today and will hopefully move right on time.

Thanks again for all of your advise! I will keep you updated if you're still interested.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:10 AM

Oh, I forgot to mention that the current landlord needs the place vacated by the 31st so construction can be started, I asked. Also, in order for Section 8 to inspect the place it must be completely empty. This only applies to the first inspection. So if the tenant is out on the 31st I can't move in until it passes inspection which probably won't happen until mid February. No lease was signed but the paperwork that was signed stated I can take possession on the 1st which wouldn't be true hence a breach.

Old 01-21-2016, 12:39 PM

UPDATE!!!!

I found a 2 bedroom, one bathroom, HOUSE with a den, carport, full size washer and dryer, and a BIG fenced in yard! If you can't tell by my exclamation points, lol, this is a DEFINITE upgrade to my previous arrangement. It is also in a desirable neighborhood, so, very low crime. The house is older, built in the 50s but very cute. The owner LOVES dogs and doesn't even want a deposit! He understood my situation and is trying to hurry up and get it ready for inspection so I can move in. There is also a dog park like 3 blocks away!

Even if it isn't ready by the 1st I should be able to afford to kennel the dogs for a week or two if need be. Thanks again for the advice! Unless something else happens, which I pray to GOD it doesn't, this will be my last post.

Princess signing off!!!!

Old 01-21-2016, 03:17 PM

324 posts, read 270,917 times
Keeping my fingers crossed that this isn't too good to be true
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting