Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 10:37 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times

Advertisements

I think pitbulls and other aggressive breeds should be banned forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 08:17 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,806,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
cheap, low quality pet food (dog or cat) does stink. Its full of byproducts and fillers and ends up coming out smelling worse than it went in. If you feed your pets a top quality food with real meat, no byproducts, no soy, wheat, corn or fillers their crap wont smell. Not only that, but it will be smaller and less frequent because their bodies are utilizing more of what they're eating. Garbage in, garbage out.
I agree with this. High quality foods make a real difference. My cat gets high quality food and the eliminations don't smell that bad - like you said, they also don't go as much either. I had a friend a long time ago who fed hers the cheapest stuff they make (like Kozy Kitten or Meow Mix or something) and it would make your eyes water because it smelled so bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Try getting a Cat to eat anything but cat food is a loosing battle! Its like IF they cant smell the Stinky Cat Food they wont eat... Plus Every time Katie & Lady use there Paper they are Changed & Cleaned!
Not true of all cats. Mine will eat almost anything - Potato chips, crackers, bread, cheese, etc. Obviously I don't feed him that type of thing, but if something happens to fall off a plate or out of a bag onto the floor, he will pick it up almost before it lands. About the only thing he WON'T eat is vegetables.

Old 02-06-2016, 07:14 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Katie & Lady Don't eat Dog Food! They eat Real food. Meat, Meat & More Meat few veggies. No Stink!
Try getting a Cat to eat anything but cat food is a loosing battle! Its like IF they cant smell the Stinky Cat Food they wont eat... Plus Every time Katie & Lady use there Paper they are Changed & Cleaned!

There's not try, there's only do. My cat does eat things besides cat food. Raw meat for instance..no problem getting him to chow on fish or duck.

Old 02-06-2016, 08:56 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Katie & Lady Don't eat Dog Food! They eat Real food. Meat, Meat & More Meat few veggies. No Stink!
Are you saying that your dogs are paper trained? That every time they have to pee and poop it's inside your apartment?

I totally get why landlords don't want to rent to pet owners, and you've reinforced it. (No explanation points required. )

Old 02-06-2016, 11:58 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
There's not try, there's only do. My cat does eat things besides cat food. Raw meat for instance..no problem getting him to chow on fish or duck.
My cat only at Cooked meat O she catch mice! Even Declawed!! She bring them to me... I think she wanted me to Cook them for her I trade her for the meat of the day . My gf had a cat decades ago that ate Dog Food! Wouldn't touch cat food her litter box didn't smell too bad. But then my gf policed it 2 x day & ever 3 days dumped & Bleached the litter box before adding Clean litter. All she used was Cheap clay So I do know it Can be done But Rarely is!

Old 02-06-2016, 02:37 PM

316 posts, read 660,702 times
Never saw dogs allowed in apts in CA, only cats, their too noisy!

Old 02-09-2016, 09:26 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I think pitbulls and other aggressive breeds should be banned forever.

Why?

I know plenty of people who own pitbulls that are very loving, and friendly pets. I wouldn't hesitate to bring my children around them.

Just another example of our "I don't like it so lets ban it" society.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:05 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
They and other breeds Are Banned.... Pits, GSD, Dobies & Rotties. Most Apts have a Size & Weight restrictions.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:09 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Are you saying that your dogs are paper trained? That every time they have to pee and poop it's inside your apartment?

I totally get why landlords don't want to rent to pet owners, and you've reinforced it. (No explanation points required. )
Her dogs use pee pads.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:26 AM

2,280 posts, read 4,515,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'm in a building of eight apartments (four per floor) that all open into a common hallway. There are breed restrictions, but numerous folks in the building have large dogs that are allowed. There aren't any problems with the dogs being aggressive, but they bark often and it's inevitable they'll use the bathroom in the apartments. With that common area, the smell of animal waste/stink just kind of hangs in the air. Some days it's downright overpowering.

Personally, I think it's a bit cruel to keep a large dog confined like this in an apartment. FWIW, I also think it's cruel to keep dogs kenneled for extended periods. Even small dogs are going to stink, etc., much more than cats IMO.

The smell and barking is unpleasant. Do you think dogs should be prohibited in apartments?
Why on earth must you blame the poor dogs for the conduct of the pet parents? Because that is what you are doing: As usual, the dog is to be banned. How about being more compassionate and realizing that if this person cannot live in a building that allows dogs, that animal will likely end up in a shelter and often a kill shelter? Cannot you not possibly look down the road? Do you even care what happens to the dog?? Honestly!

No, I don't even have a dog. (Not now - they are all in heaven.)

It would be perfectly possible to have videos set up in hallways or other public areas to see who allows this to happen (urinating in the hallway). It is also true that many dogs will not hold it till they get outside. But videos will tell the story: Did the pet parent stop and let the dog "go" in the hallway or did s/he make an effort and bring the dog outside to the proper area? Did s/he clean up and use an enzyme spray if the dog went in the hallway? It is not unreasonable to require this. Put it in the lease contract. Multiple offenders are evicted.

The owners of the buildings ought to clean the hallways FREQUENTLY with enzyme cleaner.

Apartments are a heck of a lot better than a shelter cage, I assure you, even for a large dog. If the dog gets plenty of walking and exercise, they are just fine anyway.

Sure, I know that people can be idiots and very selfish, but let's not make the dog pay the price. PLEASE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting