Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 10:22 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Sounds like it time to turn to family for either financial assistance or as a co-signer.

I have accepted co-signers... it always worked out even if the co-signer was on the hook.

What about working something with where you are now since they know your character and ability to pay.

Don't forget your church...

Two years ago I had a young couple applying to rent and they had a letter from the local Mormon Bishop... the church was offering to cover/guarantee their rent for 2 years...

I'm not Mormon... but they really do look after each other which is very commendable.

The Catholics have similar to a lesser extent... help with security deposits and assistance for the aged and infirmed.

If you qualify... start getting on the Section 8 waitlist in multiple locations... anywhere that is accepting applications... if you are a senior or disabled... the wait can be shorter.

The Catholic charity in Portland assists women only with getting into housing - deposits and such. I have a friend who was helped by them. For men there are three short-term homeless shelters, each with waiting lists..

In my local experience, rooms in houses are much easier to find for women than for men, the Section 8 waiting list is closed 98 percent of the time, once on the Sec 8 waiting list, one can expect to wait five more years, and non-8 buildings with rental assistance have waiting times in the neighborhood of 5-10 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 10:29 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Locally there are NO shelters for single men... not a one.

On the other hand there are shelters and transitional housing for single women and those men and women with minor children.

The Chief of Police was telling the business community the reality of the situation... local business has been calling the police about people bothering customers and sleeping/defecating in the doorways...

One guy seemed harmless enough except he would drop his pants and defecate at the doorways during the day or go into a local fastfood and use all the paper towels stripped down taking a sponge bath...

Everytime he gets picked up it's a 72 hour hold and he is back... finally the merchants hired a lawyer to get a restraining order.

Housing services simply ignores single men and they are left to fend for themselves until the make a nuisance of themselves...

The only exceptions I know are for VETS... there are special programs for them.

Old 02-06-2016, 11:26 PM

544 posts, read 1,238,126 times
OP, are you able to work at all? is this ssdi? disability? 100 % disabled? i'd substitute income if i could..part time work

Old 02-07-2016, 05:14 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
I get SSI for $733/month. Even the places renting for $300/month want you to make 3x amount of rent. Only places that haven't and advertise that they accept low income and SSI want more money each month than I can afford to pay. One wanted $435/month and nothing was included, not even appliances. I cannot afford them places. And the roommate offers on craigslist cost as much or more than if I had my own place and then I'd run the risk of someone robbing me or whatever they wanted to do. I've been homeless for couple of months now and the a/c doesn't work in my truck. When it gets hot weather I'll cook to death in the truck if I continue to sleep in it. I'm getting stressed out with it. Truck is all I got now. Just me and my cats in the truck.

I have no evictions and a 627 credit rating last I saw. I have good landlord references. None of the potential landlords take the time to do a background though. I say my income and I already strike out. The application fees from the rejects add up and then I'm sentenced to another month of saving up deposits.
Tell them you get $916 a month which is 733 x 1.25%. Since you are not taxed on you SS money you can claim the gross amount. Many places only ask for 2.5 times, some LL don't even check, especially smaller private ones who have signs outside of their apartments.

Old 02-07-2016, 05:16 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Sorry, but I suggest that you figure out some way to increase your income. Make parachute cord bracelets and sell them in eBay, or collect pine cones, or something.

At $300 a month for rent, you have $433 a month left over. By the time you pay utilities, you wouldn't have enough left to eat, put gas in your car, or pay your car insurance. You are talking about running the air conditioner. You'll be looking at over $150 a month just for your electricity.

Your only chance is to find a room to rent in a private home. The roommate situation can be unpleasant, but you might be able to find a room with a private entrance and stay out of the rest of the house.

A room in a shared house wouldn't work for you where I am because they start about $500 a month plus a share of utilities, but if you are unemployed and have a car, you can move to a cheap cost of living area.
If he can find $300 rent it will be a tiny place and won't cost that much in electricity, maybe $50 tops if you don't keep it freezing cold. Also people with that little may qualify for food stamps.

Old 02-07-2016, 05:24 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Tell them you get $916 a month which is 733 x 1.25%. Since you are not taxed on you SS money you can claim the gross amount. Many places only ask for 2.5 times, some LL don't even check, especially smaller private ones who have signs outside of their apartments.

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

(flabbergasted)

Old 02-07-2016, 12:17 PM

8,234 posts, read 3,492,716 times
My cats are old and cannot be rehomed. I've tried before. One of them almost starved herself to death in the new place. I tried to surrender them to animal shelter and learned they would be put down because they're considered too old for placement. They're pretty healthy for their age and I don't want them to die. I even raised one from 3/4 weeks old. I've had them for a long time now. And they're the only companionship I have.

I am able to do most of the vetting on my cats myself. I can do everything short of surgery. Where I grew up there was a lot of farms and people learned to take care of their own animals.

I was paying $414/month at my last apartment and they were raising the rent so I was moving out either way, but they didn't fix stuff anyway. There were even mushrooms growing out of the carpet from the a/c leaking all over the place. Maintenance knew about it and I was there for two years and it was never fixed.

I am very frugal. My car insurance is about $50/month. My electric at my last place averaged 60/70 a month. My cats cost me about $30/month. And when I had a place I was getting food stamps, but they're not letting me have them for next month because I have no way to prove residency so I couldn't get recertified for my annual recertification this month. $300/month would be totally affordable for me. I even have money saved up to get into a place.

I know there were some subsidized housing advertised in OK where I can have pets, but I have trouble traveling because of all my health problems. I may have to though. I was put on waiting list around where I was back in 2012 and still haven't moved up the list. There's not much turn over at the ones in the town I was in.

Old 02-12-2016, 01:48 PM

8,234 posts, read 3,492,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettybaby80 View Post
OP, are you able to work at all? is this ssdi? disability? 100 % disabled? i'd substitute income if i could..part time work
I cannot work. Employers kept firing me when they would discover all my health problems back when I could hide it better. Then I couldn't even hide it so well and I'd get fired quicker. I haven't been considered for any type of job in seven years now. I have more health problems now than I used to also. I did try though. Last place I worked was Wal-Mart and they overlooked my health problems for a bit until I was injured while on the clock and had to file workers comp. I haven't even been called for an interview in several years. I finally just accepted I was too worthless for even menial jobs and got disability so I'd at least have some income coming in.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:11 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
If you get SSI, you can't get food stamps.

Old 02-13-2016, 06:32 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Truck is all I got now.
Ever look into selling your truck for a small RV?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting