Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 09:39 PM

11 posts, read 10,623 times

Advertisements

First time to post here. Thank you all for your time!

My husband and I moved out a condo in Virginia two months ago. We had not been able to reach her for the return of deposit since. Her phone was turned off, she never reply the email, and we do not know where she lives. We had been sending the rent to her bank account, and we recently noticed that lease states that all mail correspondence for her should go to one address, which is this rental property.

We plan to sue her in small claim court, but would this rental property be the address to serve her? As far as I know, this condo has not been occupied after we moved out. We tried to send her a demand letter to this address, the certified mail could not be delivered.

What should we do now? I have read threads on different issues between tenants and landlord, but I have no idea on how to deal with the disappearance. Thank you all!

PS: she is out somewhere. I know that because I posted a message on her Facebook page once and she made her page private after couple of days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 09:59 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,701,378 times
Have you tried googling her full name and city/st to see if you can find an address? There should be something that comes up if not just the white pages.

Another idea is googling that rental address where you stayed and you should find property records/owner and their mailing address. She wasn't getting mail at your address while you were living there was she? If not, then I would think she has another mailing address out there somewhere via a google search.

Old 02-06-2016, 10:20 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,980,118 times
Have you checked the county tax records as it may have a tax billing address.
Did you ask the condo itself if they had another address?
Have you tried cross referencing her name with various county tax records in case she owns other properties?

Also, what was the notation on the returned certified mail?

Old 02-07-2016, 08:25 AM

Thanks for all the advise here.

A lot of her mails came to this condo during our stay. My husband has been helping her to forward them once in a while to another state.

HOA says they only have her email address.

Her mailing address listed in the county tax record is however in another different state. It shows as some business address. I can see this company is somehow associated with India, but not much info I could get otherwise.

I might just send couple of more certified mail to those addresses I think she might be. I was just thinking if she intends to hide from us, she can always do no shows for those certified mail?

Old 02-07-2016, 09:03 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,509,228 times
How did you find this rental to begin with? Please don't tell me you found it on Craigslist!

Old 02-07-2016, 12:11 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daynet View Post
How did you find this rental to begin with? Please don't tell me you found it on Craigslist!

Craigslist is a crap shoot...you can find some great landlords on CL and you can find come crappy ones..it's up to YOU to discern which landlord you're interviewing.

Old 02-07-2016, 02:07 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
If she is out of state, there isn't anything you can do that is cheap.

If you think she is in the area, go ahead and file in small claims court and pay a process server to serve her the notification. If she is a round a process server can find her.

Old 02-07-2016, 09:07 PM

Thank you for your words.

Last I knew, she worked in another state. However, I was recently able to confirm that she is associated with US Army Reserve, the unit is in a neighboring state but physically very close to us. I will contact the small claim court and see what they can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If she is out of state, there isn't anything you can do that is cheap.

If you think she is in the area, go ahead and file in small claims court and pay a process server to serve her the notification. If she is a round a process server can find her.

Old 02-07-2016, 09:12 PM

Gosh we found her on Craigslist. She seemed totally fine, and she has a Harvard email....(please don't me...) We would never thought people would just walk away like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Craigslist is a crap shoot...you can find some great landlords on CL and you can find come crappy ones..it's up to YOU to discern which landlord you're interviewing.

Old 02-07-2016, 11:24 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,619,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonebone View Post
Thank you for your words.

Last I knew, she worked in another state. However, I was recently able to confirm that she is associated with US Army Reserve, the unit is in a neighboring state but physically very close to us. I will contact the small claim court and see what they can do.
Get a judgement and attach it wherever you can think of. Maybe with that Harvard email address she'll want to buy a property one day and you'll get it back...could be with interest.

I know someone who did this. Had to wait several years. The culprit was shocked when he sneaked back in town and went to buy a property thinking all was well....and it wasn't. By that time, he wanted to buy this home in his old area so he paid the money back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting