Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 09:57 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
......Has anyone evicted in VA before? Is it tough?.......
I don't know, but it doesn't matter. If she isn't paying, you have to get her out. It it is tough, you have to just cowboy up and go through the process and get her out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 08:43 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
"Landlord selling the house" is tenant speak for "I am being evicted". Just like "Labrador mix" is tenant speak for pit-bull.
I've certainly heard a lot of shelters referring to Pits as "Lab Mixes."

But serious question about the LL selling the House: Lots of people ended up becoming "landlords by default" when they ended up underwater in the last 10 years. Lots of these people are now in a position to sell their house and not take a total bath.

My own building is listed as being "under contract."

If I find myself looking for a new place before I'm ready to buy, should I give an alternate reason to "the place was sold?"

Old 02-18-2016, 09:44 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
"Landlord selling the house" is tenant speak for "I am being evicted". Just like "Labrador mix" is tenant speak for pit-bull. "I have a gardening business" means I don't have a job, no paycheck, and no income, so I am pretending to be self-employed.

In future, don't rent to anyone unless they have 100% of the deposit and rent before you hand them the keys.

You can get her out because she hasn't paid rent. That's the easiest grounds for eviction.

If she comes up with everything she owes, you probably have to stop the eviction, but you file immediately the second she is late the next month. If you think she is going to be difficult, it will save you money in the long run to hire a lawyer who specializes in evictions. Call the biggest apartment complex in your area and ask them which lawyer they use for their evictions.

I have lived in 2 houses where the landlord decided to sell the house and he did as soon as we moved. Another time a condo we were renting in Florida from an older man had to be sold when he had a stroke and went to a nursing home. People shouldn't assume things.

I swear if I was a landlord the first thing I would want to do is show up with little notice at their current residence to see how well they take care of the property. Talk to their neighbors. Definitely do a credit and background check and ask for paystubs. Perhaps this woman you rented to really could not afford the $2050 a month.

Good luck.

Last edited by chiluvr1228; 02-18-2016 at 09:45 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-19-2016, 10:00 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
......If I find myself looking for a new place before I'm ready to buy, should I give an alternate reason to "the place was sold?"
No. If your place is really being sold, I call your current landlord and he tells me that he has sold the house. He also tells me whether or not you paid rent on time every month and what condition the house is in.

I've got no problem with people who are moving because their landlord sold their house. It's just that every tenant who is being evicted comes up with the same tale. They all claim that they have to move "right now because the landlord sold their house". Nobody ever comes around telling me they have to move because they are being evicted.

I call and check before I reject the applicant.

I am just suggesting to newbie landlords to double check everything and verify everything independently. "Landlord selling the house" is a red flag that means extra diligent screening. Also it means to be extra careful that the "landlord" is really their landlord and not a friend posing as their landlord.

Old 02-19-2016, 12:03 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
The very first time I was sent out to lease a home... I failed miserably... thought I would be fired for sure.

The home was open for the second time... it was on a Saturday and it was a slow with only 1 prospect coming to view.

Then a "Nice" family pulls up... driving a U-haul and said they were just transferred to California and showed my a letter on stationary...

The family said they are ready to move in and have a cashiers check to give me now... this was before cell phones...

I have them fill out an application and look everything over and agree to rent to them... they sign the rental agreement and I take the cashier's check to the bank on Saturday just before closing.

Monday the owner asked if I had any prospects and I say I rented it and the money is in the bank... he looks a little astonished and that was about it...

Well, everyone knows what happened... about 10 days later the bank said the cashier's check is fake... also the Florida Driver's license is for someone else...

That family lived their for 6 weeks and never paid a single penny... the night before the Sheriff was to evict they fled and took the new stove with them...

From that day on... full deposit and first month's rent in cash or we wait for the funds to clear... if it is a pro-rate situation... that happens the following month.

Always two forms of ID from every adult and full credit check... also take pictures of the ID...

Rest assured I never made that mistake again... I offered to work it off and my boss said don't ever let it happen again...

If people trying to make their best first impression don't have the money at move in they never will... and make sure the funds are good before turning over the keys!

I also generally will make a visit at their current address... and what an eye opener that can be... knock on a door and ask for the person and being told they don't live there... find out later it's a friend or relative or totally unknown.

Last year I did the current home visit and the drapes were torn and they had two snarling pittbulls... the women said they were giving the dogs away... I don't think so.

Old 02-19-2016, 01:23 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,648,155 times
Yikes! ^^^ that's a horror story right there! Luckily, I legit think in my situation, her divorce really screwed her up. At least she's been communicating with me and has been cordial with me, for the most part. (heavy emphasis on "for the most part"). But still, I think my situation could have been a LOT worse!

Old 02-23-2016, 07:54 AM

Update: I went to court yesterday and won. She has 10 days to appeal (aka pay back everything) or else has to move 10 days from now before the sheriff kicks them out. She showed up at court, which was surprising, but admitted to owing a crapload of money for the past 2 months.

Then she asked me if she can stay until April if I can't find anyone else to rent it out by March 1st. o_O Some people...

Old 02-23-2016, 08:13 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times
Your mistake was not getting the deposit and first month up front in cash. If they can't pay that, this is a sure sign that they can't pay the rent. They were looking to fleece an unsuspecting person who was trying to help.

My father had a neighbor who bought the house next to his, tried to rent it. Did rent it, I hope he got first month and security because after that they never paid again and it took 6 months or more to get them out.

I don't get the mentality of freeloading. If you can't afford to live in a place go to where you can afford even if it's a one bedroom trailer with your kids.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:23 AM

Yep, well in 10 days it's not my problem anymore thankfully. I didn't realize how easy it was in VA to get someone evicted.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:39 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
Yep, well in 10 days it's not my problem anymore thankfully. I didn't realize how easy it was in VA to get someone evicted.
Be thankful you didn't have a professional tenant. Those can make your life a nightmare. There are folks that know all the ins and outs of the system and do whatever they can to avoid paying rent, and fight you every step of the way when you try and get them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting