Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2016, 11:13 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,435,775 times

Advertisements

To all the people saying the renter broke the blinds, you're dead wrong. Vertical blinds can be notoriously cheap and get quite brittle after a few years. I moved into a place not quite two years ago and three blinds fell out within the first week because I literally just opened the blinds all the way. I can't stand vertical blinds, they're crappy and they look cheap.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 12:49 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Oh for goodness sake. Posters on this forum just like to bash tenants.

You've been there for 3 years, so those blinds are not worth the price of new blinds to the owner. The owner must depreciate the cost of the blinds based on how old they were when you moved in, and how much older they are when you move out. They are probably free to you by now anyway.

Yes, put them back up with the special tape made for that purpose. Then, see if it's mentioned when you get your move-out inspection. But, keep in mind that they can't charge you for new blinds when you move out. It's called normal wear and tear, and it's based on depreciation and the life expectancy of things. I hate those types of blinds. I swear, the first time you use them those stupid slats fall out, no matter how careful you are.

I used to be an apartment manager in CA.

Old 02-19-2016, 06:40 AM

93 posts, read 95,906 times
Yes those vertical blinds are awful. We have two sets and the upstairs is definitely a higher quality. The downstairs set has lost slats when I was 15 feet away, sitting on the couch. They just randomly fall off.

Go for the cheap method, without guilt.

Old 02-20-2016, 12:19 PM

586 posts, read 830,562 times
[quote=NoMoreSnowForMe;43064850]Oh for goodness sake. Posters on this forum just like to bash tenants.

You've been there for 3 years, so those blinds are not worth the price of new blinds to the owner. The owner must depreciate the cost of the blinds based on how old they were when you moved in, and how much older they are when you move out. They are probably free to you by now anyway.

Yes, put them back up with the special tape made for that purpose. Then, see if it's mentioned when you get your move-out inspection. But, keep in mind that they can't charge you for new blinds when you move out. It's called normal wear and tear, and it's based on depreciation and the life expectancy of things. I hate those types of blinds. I swear, the first time you use them those stupid slats fall out, no matter how careful you are.

I used to be an apartment manager in CA.[/QUOTi

I called the office and by the sound of it, nothings going to depreciate in value. They said they were going to charge me anyways when I move out. We plan on living here for another 2 years, and hopefully this will be the last apartment we will stay in before becoming home owners.

Old 02-20-2016, 12:39 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,699,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conlainhothuong View Post
I called the office and by the sound of it, nothings going to depreciate in value. They said they were going to charge me anyways when I move out. We plan on living here for another 2 years, and hopefully this will be the last apartment we will stay in before becoming home owners.

Well, don't believe them because they are 100% wrong. Fight it because there isn't a court in any state that would let a LL win a case that charges you full value for normal wear and tear.

Old 02-20-2016, 10:47 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
Well, don't believe them because they are 100% wrong. Fight it because there isn't a court in any state that would let a LL win a case that charges you full value for normal wear and tear.
Amen. Wear and tear plus depreciation.

I love it when a business/manager, etc., says to me that "we consider this matter closed." Cracks me up. This doesn't stop me in the least. It may work on stupid, wimpy people, but to me it is a call to arms. I always follow up with an email regarding the problem, as if they never said a thing.

Don't let them bully you. I hate bullies. And anyone who knows how to deal with a bully knows that what you do is call their bluff. Because that's what they're all about. And rarely is the law on their side.

Old 02-21-2016, 10:13 AM

1,149 posts, read 1,590,261 times
Quote:
We've been here going on 3 years and have never requested any sort of maintenance requests. We now have more than a few missing blinds that needs to be replaced (throughout the apartment) and management said they will charge anywhere from $5 - $10 per blind (I am guessing $10 for the longer patio blinds and less for bedroom blinds). I was ok with paying but a friend of mine said that I could easily fix the problem myself without having to spend much money. They have repair tabs on amazon where you would just fold it over the hole and that would give you a brand new hole. Its transparent, so its not noticeable. I said it didnt feel right but my friend said I am not doing anything wrong, just finding a less expensive way to fix things on my own. So my question is, is it ok for me to "fix" things on my own first. Do landlords notice these things when they do an inspection upon move out, or if the blinds are not falling down and are sturdy they wouldnt care (I'll be cleaning the blinds and make them look good as new too). I already have the living room carpet that will most likely need replaced, so just trying to save some money, but if there's no point in this, and they will make me pay at the end anyway, there's no point in going through the hassle. Might as well pay now if. Thanks for any opinions.

Here's the link if anyone wants to get an idea of what I am talking about
Amazon.com - As Seen On TV Vertical Blind Repair Tabs, 10 Tabs -
Just pay $4.99 and replace the blinds.

Old 02-24-2016, 03:07 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,670,053 times
Quote:
They are missing as in they are no longer hung up, no one stole them. They are individual slates and the hole is broken so they kept falling down, thats why I was wondering if I could just find a way to fix the holes. If not, I could buy new ones on my own, I found the exact same replacements for cheaper, 3.49/piece vs. $5-10 they want to charge. So I am guessing in this case, just buy brand new ones and put them up myself?
I have not read thru yet, but just to say, what I have done is to use a hole punch (centered in the middle position of a three-hole punch), to create a hole in the good end of the blind slat. Then, just push it back up into the bracket. I have replaced / installed other window items myself, over time. I think that a package of slats (not for a patio door) were about $11.00, though I don't recall the quantity - maybe 8-10. It seems it would be cheaper than what they are suggesting. Just make sure to get the same shade and texture of those you have.

Those stupid slats are a pain. I often see others' windows missing them, too. I once removed the whole thing in the bedroom, because my cat would get in and out of the window sill and cause a "clakety-clack" sound, while I was sleeping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting