Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 03:44 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,172,596 times

Advertisements

Tell me who funded that study and you will find "investors" of big tobacco. So the neighbors have to hope that they have that gene. Please. Make some sense.

Since when has it been good to inhale burning ANYTHING?
Every dead smoker I know died from lung cancer. What did you MIL die from? Ciggs do not only cause lung cancer. They cause MANY health related issues. You will never know if your MIL could of lived longer or healthier because she smoked! So the neighbor has to take a chance and pray because someone wants to light up....My god...Get real!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 06:05 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,189,088 times
Here ya go (http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1727161,00.html?cnn=yes - broken link). Three different studies, three different countries, slightly different results. The gene has been identified. I'm guessing that in your opinion the M.D. Anderson Cancer Center is in the pocket of Big Tobacco, right? Makes all sorts of sense.

This is not a mandate to light up, simply to never assume that you're being told everything and to ask what you're NOT being told (80% of smokers don't get lung cancer, for example).

My mother-in-law did have chest surgery at one point (maybe a decade before she died). The doctors told her that they expected to find all kinds of damage to her lungs while they were in there. Imagine their shock when they got in and found pink, healthy lungs! Fortunately, they were honest enough to tell her this - she wouldn't have known otherwise, of course.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:19 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,172,596 times
My grandfathers were black as coal. Lung cancer death...So I guess I get to just die if people light up right? Thats an article link. NOT a study. There is a difference. I have seen that. But it still does not address other diseases AND the fact you have to have the gene to not get it.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:40 PM

No, no, no, you have to have the gene TO get it. It appears that they've finally found the gene that makes 20% of people who smoke more likely to get lung cancer (whether they smoke or not). Before, they didn't know (or much mention) why 80% of smokers DON'T get lung cancer, and the answer is actually why 20% DO - that 20% have the gene.

I posted the link to that article because it mentioned all three studies, each, with I said, with slightly different results, because you might want to follow up on it. If you're someone who likely does have that gene, you might want more information on it, right? Since it increases the likelihood whether you're exposed to cigarette smoke or not?

Old 08-10-2009, 08:09 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,945,023 times
I am a non smoker that is exposed to my neighbor's chain smoking, and am frequenly affected by her smoke. It comes through the vents and into my apartment. It stinks terribly, sometimes to the point where it makes me feel sick to my stomach. I can smell it in my closet which shares a wall with hers, and it gets into my clothes. Sometimes she smokes so much that when I come home from work it smells like someone was in my apartment smoking. I hate it, but nothing that can be done about it. She has the right to smoke in her own home.

I've thought about buying an air cleaner, but don't know if that would really work.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:35 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,121,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegirl View Post
I am a non smoker that is exposed to my neighbor's chain smoking, and am frequenly affected by her smoke. It comes through the vents and into my apartment. It stinks terribly, sometimes to the point where it makes me feel sick to my stomach. I can smell it in my closet which shares a wall with hers, and it gets into my clothes. Sometimes she smokes so much that when I come home from work it smells like someone was in my apartment smoking. I hate it, but nothing that can be done about it. She has the right to smoke in her own home.

I've thought about buying an air cleaner, but don't know if that would really work.
welcome to my world---i'm moving soon as i can afford it---hope the taxes on cigs continue to rise----tired of chain smoking white trash people here in nepa---can hardly go anywhere without having to inhale someone's smoke

as to that gene not true---2nd hand smoke contributes to death from lung ca,emphysema,copd even without the gene

Old 08-10-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone2long View Post
as to that gene not true---2nd hand smoke contributes to death from lung ca,emphysema,copd even without the gene
Is this your personal opinion? Did you read the information on the study? (Which was on lung cancer specifically, as noted above.) On what basis do you contradict the findings?

Old 08-11-2009, 06:22 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,945,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gone2long View Post
welcome to my world---i'm moving soon as i can afford it---hope the taxes on cigs continue to rise
Agreed. Cigarettes and alcohol need to be taxed a lot more, but I doubt that it will stop most people.

The lady that lives next door to me that smokes so much is in her 40's, she's a nurse, and she had a mild stroke last summer. You would think she would learn her lesson. At the time she wasn't working, because she was going to school full time to finish her RN, so she didn't have health insurance. She said she's up to her eyeballs in medical debt now, yet she can afford to go pay $4.00 + for a pack of cigarettes and continue to ruin her health.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Is this your personal opinion? Did you read the information on the study? (Which was on lung cancer specifically, as noted above.) On what basis do you contradict the findings?

on various medical seminars i have attended as a professional--one or two studies are not conclusive and tend to be slanted towards the views of the person/org funding the study

Old 08-11-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegirl View Post
Agreed. Cigarettes and alcohol need to be taxed a lot more, but I doubt that it will stop most people.

The lady that lives next door to me that smokes so much is in her 40's, she's a nurse, and she had a mild stroke last summer. You would think she would learn her lesson. At the time she wasn't working, because she was going to school full time to finish her RN, so she didn't have health insurance. She said she's up to her eyeballs in medical debt now, yet she can afford to go pay $4.00 + for a pack of cigarettes and continue to ruin her health.
sounds like the chain smoker in the adjoining townhouse--except she has various guy friends keeping her supplied--and paying her rent(she has bragged bout this to neighbors)----old couple on her other side r complaining too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting