Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 12:30 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,961,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone2long View Post
oh it would be so much better if everyone just allows other peoples addictive behaviors to negatively impact on their lives--so go ahead--chain smoke so my apartment smells like yours--drive drunk so i can enjoy almost being killed by you----be a general nuisance to everyone so you do not have to adjust your life at all

unless one lives over a garage or on a highway(like maybe 10 feet close to one) car exhaust does not come in---one does NOT have to live way out in the country to avoid car exhaust----l am in a small town and maybe my street gets 10 cars a day on it max

the you here is generic
to avoid it completely yes you do, and own your own farm, grow your own food so you never have to travel to the store
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 06:52 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,264,919 times
I live on 55 acres in the country, but two miles from IH35 (not visible from our place, but we can hear it sometimes). When the wind is right, yes, I will get car (and truck) exhaust. Not great billowing clouds of it - most of it isn't readily visible, you know.

Have you ever seen Austin j (or any city) from a distance on an ozone action day? THEN you can see it, but it's always there - and it stretches out past the city limits (guess it can't read to tell that it's only supposed to stay in the city). Air pollution from cities impacts rural areas that are downwind (that includes small towns).

So, if you drive, you're responsible for negatively impacting someone else's health. Guess, if you want smokers to stop smoking, you'd best stop driving, in the interests of fairness, because it's a lot harder for everyone else to get away from the impact of your driving than it is for you to get away from a smoker.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:14 AM

1,995 posts, read 3,368,826 times
As an ex smoker I can only sympathize with smokers. I remember when I smoked being outside on a college campus once (this was in the 80s) with no one around when a person walked over from about 200 feet away and asked me to stop smoking.

If you don't want to live next door to someone who smokes then move (just like if you don't want to live next door to dogs or college kids who hold a lot of loud house parties). Honestly, suing your neighbor has got to be about the dumbest thing . . . even if you win, you lose, because they will make your life hell afterward and you are stuck living right next to them.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:51 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,947,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhillian View Post
If you don't want to live next door to someone who smokes then move
That's just wrong. You say you sympathize with smokers because you are or were one. Try NOT being a smoker for a long time and then be affected by someone else's nasty cigarette smoke, or try talking to someone with asthma that has reactions to it. Perhaps then you will see it from both sides.

While I would not personally sue a neighbor for their cigarette smoke coming into my apartment, I would and have asked her to crack a window open to help aleviate some of the smoke that comes into my apartment. She has a selfish attitude and refuses to do it. She had a stroke last year, and she's only in her 40's. She'll probably have another and possibly worse in the future. As far as I'm concerned, that's called reaping what you sow, and then SHE will probably have to move out.

Old 08-20-2009, 06:39 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,930,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
I also smoke. Nasty habit, but I was young and dumb when I started. What is the point of all the restrictions. Geez, just get it over with and make it illegal. That's the way it feels. I'm like a herion addict hiding in the shadows to enjoy my drug of choice. Having said that, lol, I plan on quitting in the near future anyway. Might as well do it on my own then have the government decide for me.
Many of these anti smoking zealots get off on being busybodies. It's not even really about the dangers of second hand smoke it's getting to meddle with someone and tell them what to do.

If it wasn't cigarettes it would be something else... lottery tickets, rap or heavy metal, certain sexual positions.....

Old 08-20-2009, 06:49 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,264,919 times
Is the smoker you're referring to any more selfish than the person who walked 200 feet to ask a smoker to stop? Is she any more selfish than someone who wishes for someone else to stop smoking/listening to their music/cooking the food that they like to eat because THEY (the person wanting the other to stop) doesn't like it?

Seems there's more than enough selfishness to go around.

Old 08-20-2009, 06:42 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,125,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
Many of these anti smoking zealots get off on being busybodies. It's not even really about the dangers of second hand smoke it's getting to meddle with someone and tell them what to do.

If it wasn't cigarettes it would be something else... lottery tickets, rap or heavy metal, certain sexual positions.....
it's all about breathing--bottom line!

Old 08-20-2009, 06:44 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,125,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Is the smoker you're referring to any more selfish than the person who walked 200 feet to ask a smoker to stop? Is she any more selfish than someone who wishes for someone else to stop smoking/listening to their music/cooking the food that they like to eat because THEY (the person wanting the other to stop) doesn't like it?

Seems there's more than enough selfishness to go around.

been to austin,la,many big cities---poor air quality is why i chose a rural town in the mountains in what was supposed to be a smoke free building---call me selfish but i need to breathe too!

Old 08-20-2009, 07:29 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,961,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gone2long View Post
been to austin,la,many big cities---poor air quality is why i chose a rural town in the mountains in what was supposed to be a smoke free building---call me selfish but i need to breathe too!
well see you moved yourself to an area where there was nothing, if it is a building that is made by the landlord to be smoke free, then you would have a right to complain about someone in the building who was smoking, however if you move into a building that is not made to be a non smoking apartment building, then you ask for it, you put yourself into a position where there is most likely going to be smokers and you have no right to complain about any smoke smell, and honestly if you decided to be rude to me if you tried to ask me to do something me id just light up right in front of you just to tick you off

Old 08-21-2009, 04:23 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,947,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post

If you want to smoke, get lung cancer and smell horrible, knock yourself out. But the people who choose not to, especially people who have allergies and asthma also have just as much right to NOT have it effect them. (SURPRISE !) The fact that many states are banning smoking in public places proves that people who choose not to smoke, don't want to breathe in second hand smoke and suffer the consequences of it, or smell like a dirty ashtray proves my point.

Your sarcasm regarding whether "if it weren't cigarettes it would be something else" shows the attitude and selfishness that some people have, and is pointless in regards to this topic and thread. Talk about busybody.

Last edited by mainegirl; 08-21-2009 at 04:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting