Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 11:19 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times

Advertisements

I wish for once LL's would realize that carpeting in rentals is not going to last forever. Why should the tenant have to clean it or replace it? really? How many threads on carpeting in rentals do we have, a million. Always the same thing, the carpet is stained, the carpet is worn, wah wah wah, its carpet, it happens. carpets usually have a 5 year life, if even that.

Its better to have wood floors that way they can be sanded and polyed and solve all the 'carpet" issues.

here in NY tenants are to leave thier apts in a "broom swept" manner, that is the law of the land here.....we are not required to shampoo or replace carpets.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 11:24 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,648,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I wish for once LL's would realize that carpeting in rentals is not going to last forever. Why should the tenant have to clean it or replace it? really? How many threads on carpeting in rentals do we have, a million. Always the same thing, the carpet is stained, the carpet is worn, wah wah wah, its carpet, it happens. carpets usually have a 5 year life, if even that.

Its better to have wood floors that way they can be sanded and polyed and solve all the 'carpet" issues.

here in NY tenants are to leave thier apts in a "broom swept" manner, that is the law of the land here.....we are not required to shampoo or replace carpets.....
Everytime I rented a place, I always made sure I at least vacummed and took a carpet steam cleaner on the carpets. At the very least. It's not very hard and takes about an hour.

An hour of your time to get your deposit back vs messing up someone else's carpet, leaving your mess, then expecting to get your full deposit back?

Yeah, LL's are such evil people to want an attempt at having their carpets cleaned for the next tenant.

Old 02-24-2016, 11:26 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
I also don't understand why apartment complexes continue to use carpeting. It's always the same taupe color and usually the cheapest they can find as they assume it will be replaced frequently. I hate carpet in rentals. You never know how clean they are, whether the previous owner had a pet who has fleas or how many times their dog has had an accident on the carpet. They are just germy and nasty. And most of the time when someone loses their security deposit it is because of the damn carpeting.

If I owned a rental it would have tile, wood or wood laminate floors.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:23 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I also don't understand why apartment complexes continue to use carpeting. It's always the same taupe color and usually the cheapest they can find as they assume it will be replaced frequently. I hate carpet in rentals. You never know how clean they are, whether the previous owner had a pet who has fleas or how many times their dog has had an accident on the carpet. They are just germy and nasty. And most of the time when someone loses their security deposit it is because of the damn carpeting.

If I owned a rental it would have tile, wood or wood laminate floors.
Because hard floors on all of the upper floors would drive everyone batty. You can see how many noise complaint threads there are already.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:42 PM

1,166 posts, read 755,349 times
Quote:

Most landlords and property managers are looking to screw over their tenants as much as possible. It is always best to assume that the scumbag landlord is going to try to keep your entire deposit and just make stuff up to justify it.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:42 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
Everytime I rented a place, I always made sure I at least vacummed and took a carpet steam cleaner on the carpets. At the very least. It's not very hard and takes about an hour.

An hour of your time to get your deposit back vs messing up someone else's carpet, leaving your mess, then expecting to get your full deposit back?

Yeah, LL's are such evil people to want an attempt at having their carpets cleaned for the next tenant.
im usually on the side of the LL. but not in regards to carpeting.

when i rented my first apt and moved to a bigger apt in the same building as i am now, I vacuumed the carpet, the LL left it for the next tenant. it was only 4 years old and was in good condition except for furniture marks which cannot be helped....i dont think he shampooed it either.

its more than an hour of my time to rent a steam cleaner and then clean the carpet, during the moving process that the last ting id want to do.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:49 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,648,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
Most landlords and property managers are looking to screw over their tenants as much as possible. It is always best to assume that the scumbag landlord is going to try to keep your entire deposit and just make stuff up to justify it.
lol that's not true at all though.

It doesn't take much time to clean an apartment up. I'm a landlord but I've also rented more than I've landlord'd, and I've always just spent at least a few hours to make sure the place is good to get my deposit back.

Which, on the flip side, I don't understand why people just leave things a mess and expect a full deposit back. It's really not difficult.

I do agree, if a carpet is 5 years old or simply has a lot of traffic, I agree, you shouldn't deduct that from the deposit.

But when said tenant randomly gets a dog that you don't agree to in the initial lease, and then the tenant leaves the carpet full of pee and poop stains...do you then blame the landlord?

Honestly, it's one of those things that can go either way. But, being a renter and wanting my deposit back when I move, I also want to 100% give my tenants back their deposits as well. But, if they don't clean (besides normal wear and tear), I don't understand why anyone expects to get anything in full back. Entitled people need to gtfo already.

Old 02-24-2016, 05:59 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:

Carpet is pro rated... I have had tenants leave and I told them not to worry about it... they were there 9 years...

I buy carpeted that is 7 year and have documentation to prove it.

People that don't like carpet or don't know it does need to be vacuum should only accept a place that is carpet free.

I've had to cover beautiful hardwood in order to get a place rented... what works in one area isn't universal. It could be tenant preference or to dampen noise transmission... hardwood with blinds on an upstairs unit is hard on anyone below.

The Oakland housing authority got away from carpet... I have seen many units with vinyl floor throughout...

Many hardwoods can be sanded once...

As to the original question... California requires the Landlord to make available at the tenant's option a pre-move inspection... this is the time to go over any issues of concern.

Old 02-24-2016, 06:02 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
Thankfully many landlords and property managers don't... nothing makes me more pleased at the end of a tenancy than refunding the full deposit.

I have also had tenants straight up ask... will the deposit cover if they do nothing.

California is very specific when it comes to deposits and rightfully so.

My one wish if for all the scumbag landlords to get together with the scumbag tenants and leave the rest of us alone.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 02-25-2016 at 08:39 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-24-2016, 07:27 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

My one wish if for all the scumbag landlords get together with the scumbag tenants and leave the rest of us alone.
I can't rep you again, but I love this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting