Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 01:51 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,421,387 times

Advertisements

NEW YORK (AP) - A couple in a famed apartment building that has been home to the likes of Babe Ruth, Jack Dempsey, Igor Stravinsky and Angelina Jolie are suing a neighbor over her heavy smoking.

NYC Tenants Sue Over Neighbor's Smoking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 03:27 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,490,829 times
I really really really really hope that they lose this.

Im vehemently anti-smoking.

But, if the complex allows smoking, and a neighbor smokes, and you don't like that, you have the option to move. Thats what the right to choice is about. That doesn't give you the right to sue someone because their smoking affects you when you can easily move yourself out of the situation.

I asked this question in another thread, and lost the thread before I could see an answer,

"Where does Personal Responsibility come into play? Where do we start holding ourselves accountable for our actions?"

Old 03-10-2012, 12:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,508 times
I hope they win but they will not. My neighbor smokes weed and police can not do anything about it. I wish they win that case so I would be able to file a complaint too.
And I am a Smoker myself but I do not smoke inside the house EVER .

Old 03-10-2012, 01:12 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,470,770 times
Maybe I'm missing something but the link didn't take me to anything resembling the subject of the thread.

But if the scenario is as poster Radek describes then I agree. As a smoker for close to 50 years who's now quit because of COPD, even second hand smoke irritates me no end but why in anybody's name would I sue a neighbor for smoking if the LL allows smoking on the premises? If I were in that situation I'd simply move.

nybumcom: you're talking apples and oranges when comparing smoking marijuana to smoking regular tobacco. Tobacco is legal and marijuana is illegal in most jurisdictions unless in the few states where the use of prescribed medical marijuana is permitted. Even in those jurisdictions where it's legal, I don't believe that it would be allowed in a building designated as a no-smoking area. If your neighbor is smoking pot it's incorrect that, "the police can not do anything about it" if you live where it's an illegal substance.

I'm not taking any stand here about whether smoking marijuana should be illegal or not, only questioning a blanket statement.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:50 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,562,029 times
If you have a shared hallway and the neighbor keeps smoking there then it is very annoying, and 2nd hand smoke can make you sick so I hope they will win although I believe they won't have a chance unless it is in the Condo docs.

At the Court House over here they have a certain amount of space from the doors that nobody is allowed to smoke but most people are standing there so you have no way of passing without getting the nasty smell in your face. AND the other day I was enjoying to sit on a bench waiting for one of my kids at the out door mall that we have...a nice beautiful day and hardly any people there since it was a weekday, UNTIL one of the employees came outside, stood next to the bench and got all the smoke in my face! That was the end of me enjoying that moment

Old 03-14-2012, 04:48 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,547,888 times
I'll tell ya what, when I lived in NYC I was a heavy smoker. I lived in an old five-floor walkup (I was on the second floor), in a studio apartment.

The hallway always smelled like smoke.

Then I realized it was MINE.

I was completely horrified and it got me to quit. (I later started again - several years later - but that's another story).

Lawsuits are annoying but the truth is that everyone is in very close quarters there - the smoke probably gets into the neighbor apartments. Even if it doesn't, the neighbors probably have to walk through it.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:19 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,863,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Maybe I'm missing something but the link didn't take me to anything resembling the subject of the thread.
Here is the article on a more reliable website. NYC tenants sue over neighbor's smoking - USATODAY.com It is an old article, 2008. As is this thread. LOL!

Another LOL, the smoker is named Gallila Huff.

Smoke, Smoke, Smoke that Cigarette!!!

Old 03-15-2012, 10:54 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,470,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Here is the article on a more reliable website. NYC tenants sue over neighbor's smoking - USATODAY.com It is an old article, 2008. As is this thread. LOL!

Another LOL, the smoker is named Gallila Huff.

Smoke, Smoke, Smoke that Cigarette!!!
Darn it! The thread was so short that I didn't check the start date. A prime example of why I hate it when people revive old threads - particularly in a case like this when it's based on a newspaper article almost four years ago!!

Old 03-15-2012, 06:42 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,863,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Darn it! The thread was so short that I didn't check the start date. A prime example of why I hate it when people revive old threads - particularly in a case like this when it's based on a newspaper article almost four years ago!!
That's OK, those necro-posts catch us all sooner or later. Your advice was still good for anyone looking for similar information.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:20 PM

18,369 posts, read 31,462,319 times
please, they think they are in grave danger for their 4 year old breathing in second hand smoke from another apartment.

please, both me and my sister are fine and both our parnets smoked everywhere.
we didnt like it, but we didnt die either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting