Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 05:36 PM

6 posts, read 4,950 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am curious what my rights are in the subtenant/sub-landlord relationship that I am currently in. I am subleasing in a 4 bedroom apartment, and the person I am subleasing from is friends with two of the other roommates. He often spends time at the apartment and sometimes sleeps over, usually when the other roommates are there. There are times when I come home and find him there alone, though. This doesn't seem normal to me, and makes me uncomfortable that I am paying the complete amount of rent and he is still accessing the apartment as he pleases. Is this OK for him to do as a guest of the other roommates, or does he fall under the same category as landlords that need to give notice before they enter the house? If I discuss the issue with him and he is not responsive to it, are there any actions I can take? Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 05:38 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
He only needs to give you notice Before he enters your Room.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:11 PM

6 posts, read 4,950 times
OK, thanks. I understand this, though I feel like him having a key and using it to come to the apartment when he wants to (other roommates were out of town for the week) is still not appropriate.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:10 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
I think if privacy is really important to you, you don't share a house with other unrelated roommates.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:45 PM

619 posts, read 574,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
He only needs to give you notice Before he enters your Room.
Really? you don't think the LL having and using a key while his friends aren't there, just to 'hang out' is ok? I would find this situation unbearable and extremely inappropriate. I'm assuming you didn't just rent the four square walls of your room - but rathre you rented the room plus shared living areas (kitchen, bathroom).

if i were in your shoes, i would be finding a new place to live.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:21 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
You have moved into a situation that works for everyone else in the house. They're all friends and you're the odd man out.

You want to change it, which will likely make everyone else unhappy, and that makes for an uncomfortable living situation.

I think if you can't deal with it, you should move. Because being right is unlikely to bring joy to the situation.

Old 02-27-2016, 05:43 AM

666 posts, read 642,274 times
I would just be sure to keep your own room locked tight so this leech can't just make himself at home.

-Bubby

Old 02-27-2016, 06:12 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee8512 View Post
Hello. I am curious what my rights are in the subtenant/sub-landlord relationship that I am currently in. I am subleasing in a 4 bedroom apartment, and the person I am subleasing from is friends with two of the other roommates. He often spends time at the apartment and sometimes sleeps over, usually when the other roommates are there. There are times when I come home and find him there alone, though. This doesn't seem normal to me, and makes me uncomfortable that I am paying the complete amount of rent and he is still accessing the apartment as he pleases. Is this OK for him to do as a guest of the other roommates, or does he fall under the same category as landlords that need to give notice before they enter the house? If I discuss the issue with him and he is not responsive to it, are there any actions I can take? Thanks for your input!

Does the actual landlord of this unit know you're subleasing?

The only thing this 'landlord' can't do is enter your room, which is really the only place your paying for, without giving you notice.

Can he visit his former roommates? Yes, he can. He can sit in the common area all day long, as their guest, and you can't say/do anything about it.

What action can you take? Keep your door locked if you think he's going to enter your room, move, or let it go.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:27 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janet bubby View Post
I would just be sure to keep your own room locked tight so this leech can't just make himself at home.

-Bubby

I rent a room in a house and don't even have a room key.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:29 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Does the actual landlord of this unit know you're subleasing?

The only thing this 'landlord' can't do is enter your room, which is really the only place your paying for, without giving you notice.

Can he visit his former roommates? Yes, he can. He can sit in the common area all day long, as their guest, and you can't say/do anything about it.

What action can you take? Keep your door locked if you think he's going to enter your room, move, or let it go.

"renting is where you pay a premium to enjoy temporary, impaired use of property"

too bad the disamenities of said impaired use are never properly discounted in the rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting