Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 10:46 AM

6,230 posts, read 3,609,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Don't like it? Buy you own place.
What was the point of your rude and pointless post?

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 03-05-2016 at 01:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHi View Post
Unless there are repairs to be done or some other just cause, in many states it's once/year only. You should call tomorrow and ask for the reason for another inspection after the did one just over a month ago, and say you're not well enough to let people in. You can at least ask them to postpone to next week or so.

I was in a rental once where things kept breaking down; the unit hadn't been properly inspected prior to my moving in, for some reason. So drains didn't work, faucets leaked, burners burned out one by one on the stovetop, the furnace gave out in the middle of a harsh winter and they refused to fix it until after a 3-day weekend, even though I called Friday morning. Then out of nowhere they said they had to do an ozone inspection or some such. It got to the point that people were constantly coming and going. For awhile, I was on extended sick leave from work, and couldn't keep the place up for all these repair people coming through. I don't know if that had anything to do with their decision to not renew the lease. I was told the owner had suffered a business downturn, and needed to re-occupy the unit, which had been his own residence at one time, but I'm not sure I buy that story. I don't know what rights renters have under such circumstances, but it seems oppressive to have repair people and inspectors coming in all the time.
Before the inspection at the end of January, there was one at the end of October/early November! And before that in April. The reason listed always says to make sure your apartment is "habitable." This time there was no reason listed at all.

Thanks to those who provided links. It looks like there's nothing that specifics how often an inspection can take place, but I also don't see anything that allows these random, reasonless inspections.

Old 03-02-2016, 11:03 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
What was the point of your rude and pointless post?
Sorry to offend for delicate sensibilities. Here is a tip, read your rental contract with regards to the contractual obligations you are subject to before signing it. The section that explains right of entry and inspection.

I have no sympathy for individuals whom enter into basic contractional obligations without having at least read and understand what they are getting themselves into.

Again if you don't like living like a feudal serf then go buy your own place.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 03-05-2016 at 01:36 PM..

Old 03-02-2016, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Sorry to offend for delicate sensibilities. Here is a tip, read your rental contract with regards to the contractual obligations you are subject to before signing it. The section that explains right of entry and inspection.

I have no sympathy for individuals whom enter into basic contractional obligations without having at least read and understand what they are getting themselves into.

Again if you don't like living like a feudal serf then go buy your own place.
Way to assume. I have my lease and there is nothing about these random, reason-less inspections in them, hence my posting a question on CD. And states have laws regardless of what's put in leases. You cannot sign away your rights in a lease anyway. I came seeking information about the law...sympathy has not a thing to do with it.

Try to ADD something when posting, OK?

Old 03-02-2016, 11:12 AM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Or a boat? Maybe they can come live with you. Need a roommate?
Nah. I don't hardly do visitors for even an afternoon sail. Socializing is for internet forums. Boats are for GTFO away from people.

Funny little tangent for you. If you've ever looked at ads in yachting magazines they always show boat plans featuring how many berths there are. As if somehow value can be measured by how many people you can cram into a 36' or 40' or whatever length boat for cocktails, diner and sleepovers. "Berths for 6!" "Sleeps 10!"

As if. Who the fork would call that an escape vehicle from the grind? Hey Zeus! Gimme a break.

Old 03-02-2016, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Way to assume. I have my lease and there is nothing about these random, reason-less inspections in them, hence my posting a question on CD. And states have laws regardless of what's put in leases. You cannot sign away your rights in a lease anyway. I came seeking information about the law...sympathy has not a thing to do with it.

Try to ADD something when posting, OK?
Oh come on. Bulldog adds plenty. Generally he provides somebody you can love to hate

Old 03-02-2016, 11:24 AM

1,722 posts, read 1,743,006 times
Kaphawoman there must be someone in the tenant rights arena who you can call.
What you're describing seems very wrong to me ... especially if you're a good tenant who is giving no indication that you're doing anything illegal or that you're not a hoarder.
I'd be sooooo upset if this was happening to me. One's home should be a secure and safe space and being invaded like that is lousy.

Old 03-02-2016, 12:04 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Oh come on. Bulldog adds plenty. Generally he provides somebody you can love to hate
Who loves ya baby.

Old 03-02-2016, 12:19 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
The law says the notice must include a reason for entering. This website looks helpful. Includes the law and contact info for an attorney:

Tenants have privacy rights - aka The Covenant of Quiet Enjoyment

Old 03-02-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Who loves ya baby.
Everybody, Telly! Everybody loves the Mutt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting