Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2016, 10:52 AM

106,651 posts, read 108,790,719 times

Advertisements

your problem if you own a car . it is no one elses fault you own a car and have no money . without money for emergency's or as back up perhaps you never should have owned a car .

you can chalk it up to whatever you want but at the end of the day it is your fault .

likely the same thing as your hypothetical little house needing a major repair , you have no money and the building dept. condemns it . another likely scenario .

it takes an adult job and adult money to take care of the issues that go with buying adult things .

Last edited by mathjak107; 03-20-2016 at 11:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 11:13 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,581,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Did your mortgage payment go up?
Irrelevant. The rental market sets the rent, not the landlord's expenses.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:15 AM

yep , rental markets don't care if you have a mortgage , a new roof and just spend thousands for a new furnase and the guy next door who has a rental has none of the above . you just get market rents .

Old 03-20-2016, 11:22 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Except that developers are building ONLY for the upper market segments, and not at all for the lower half.
There is no profit in building entry level housing. Because there are few entry level buyers. The millennials that would/should be buying aren't. They are too burdened with school loans living at home. There are few who are buying but not enough.

Quote:
??? ??? Taking a class requires - DUH - money. I have not yet found any school which does not demand cash up front.
You hear of ROP. It's practically free. Cheaper than monthly internet that's for sure

Quote:
??? ??? I'm in hospital and I have no money and I don't expect government to come on to private property AND walk past three parked cars to find one with expired tags and I'm supposed to do what? If I were not a poor renter - if I were living in some non-targeted neighborhood - this never would have happened.

Sounds a lot like profiling.
You ever hear of non op registration? It's $10. Like most cities there are probably laws about keeping expired or unregistered vehicles outside.

Old 03-20-2016, 12:28 PM

318 posts, read 372,662 times
Quote:
Hey, I **TRIED** to buy and lock in myt housing costs for the next 30 years. Smart is useless if you don't have (enough) money.
Wow, dude. Ok. the country is changing here. the world is becoming a ****tier place. I am actually happy I won't have kids that have to compete to try and be part of a dying middle class. BUT there is also personal responsibility too. Facing the reality, WILL and SWEAT.

I started working crappy jobs. my original city was overpriced. MY $500 as a kid, (when minimum wage was under $7per hour) would get me sharing with at least 2 other people. a nasty shady apartment with druggies in the stairwell shooting up, with mold in the walls. I saved my money by buying ZERO wants, eating omelettes and oatmeal for weeks and purging almost everything I own (moving junk costs money! selling it, even super cheap gets some) and getting the heck out of dodge. If I had to sleep on a flimsy $10 air mattress in my new city, because I got rid of all my furniture at least it was temporary and more of my money accumulated in my bank account each month because my rent was under 35% of my income.

Unless you have someone to live with, who is bearing the burden of most of your keep you can't survive as a burger flipper in Portland. That's the reality. Even some educated people making 100K truly can't afford to live in the most expensive cities (think Vancouver. these people will have next to nothing for retirement. some spend 60% plus between rent and moving every few years as LL sells their rentals off to knock the building down investors. My OH was offered an excellent job there for his field once and it would have been financial suicide to take it). Spending over half your income in rent is bad money management and it simply gets more and more unsustainable as costs go up faster then income. People do it, and work so bloody much they can't afford to enjoy the city they toil away their life to live in. It's crazy. It's not fair, but this is the way the world works. Do research into other locations with work and more affordable costs. save something, get a plan and get out.

Old 03-20-2016, 12:41 PM

9,855 posts, read 7,724,981 times
Quote:
??? ??? I'm in hospital and I have no money and I don't expect government to come on to private property AND walk past three parked cars to find one with expired tags and I'm supposed to do what? If I were not a poor renter - if I were living in some non-targeted neighborhood - this never would have happened.

Ridiculous. You truly think you wouldn't have been ticketed if you were parked in an expensive HOA neighborhood?

Why didn't you take your tickets and proof of your hospital stay in front of the judge at traffic court and ask for a break? Judges reduce fines all the time.

Old 03-20-2016, 01:08 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,108,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post

Why didn't you take your tickets and proof of your hospital stay in front of the judge at traffic court and ask for a break? Judges reduce fines all the time.
With nearly 25,000 posts over 5 years, my guess would be that he/she has been too busy posting to CDF to take care of the tickets.

Old 03-20-2016, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Ridiculous. You truly think you wouldn't have been ticketed if you were parked in an expensive HOA neighborhood?

No money. But nothing is his fault. Lol

Old 03-20-2016, 03:18 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
??? ??? Taking a class requires - DUH - money. I have not yet found any school which does not demand cash up front.
I design websites. I have taken exactly ONE class to learn that, which cost $25 over 10 years ago. Everything I know now I've learned on my own. Which costs ZERO.

Cue the excuses....

Old 03-21-2016, 06:52 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:

Actually, it sounds like someone complained. Either way, your car, your responsibility.

I also don't buy that scenario. I've never heard of a place where a slightly overdue registration wasn't just given a "fix it". I'm thinking there is much more to the story than what you're telling us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting