Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 01:09 PM

6,330 posts, read 17,977,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Can my landlord charge me a late fee because my check bounced. Technically I paid my rent the 28th~ on time.
If the check bounced, you didn't pay your rent and you owe the late fees.

Quote:
Also if she can charge me a late fee, I have read that late fees are illegal in CA but also read that they are legal if reasonable. So if they are legal is $225 reasonable.
You'd have to take her to court and have a judge decide.

Quote:
Also she is saying the late fee is racking up until my check clears. Not when I deposited the money into her account. Can she do that? It's not up to me how long her bank takes to process my check
Yes, she can do that. Each passing day in which your payment is not credited to her account is another day of unpaid/late rent.

What she cannot do is pass through her own bank fees to you. She pays those with the late fees and nsf fee she collects from you.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 12:13 PM

10,950 posts, read 6,678,831 times
This is why I pay my rent in cash, and cash only. Handed directly to the person themselves. Or I get a money order (or two if there's a top limit).

It sounds to me as though you need to go to her bank and deposit CASH, not a check.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:17 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,429,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
This is why I pay my rent in cash, and cash only. Handed directly to the person themselves. Or I get a money order (or two if there's a top limit).

It sounds to me as though you need to go to her bank and deposit CASH, not a check.
You had to resurrect a thread which finished well over two years ago to make a point?

Old 06-02-2010, 05:42 PM

That was rather sarcastic STT Resident. I saw the link at the bottom of another thread I was reading, and made an honest mistake.

I'll remember to try and not annoy you in the future.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:13 AM

6,023 posts, read 13,991,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
You had to resurrect a thread which finished well over two years ago to make a point?
There is nothing wrong with reviving old threads, No one forced you to read it or respond.
I am a landlord and I charge $25 per day as a late fee and all costs associated as a result of a bad check, we collect on. On another note we put in our contracts that any tenant who is late more than one time will automatically be served with an eviction notice. We do not put up with tenants being late at all. Zero tolerance for deadbeats.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:34 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,429,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
That was rather sarcastic STT Resident.
I'll remember to try and not annoy you in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
There is nothing wrong with reviving old threads, No one forced you to read it or respond.
The only problem with reviving old threads is that it's very easy to read two and more pages before realizing that the thread is very old and has been revived with a new question that often bears only a slight resemblance to the original.

If you're NOT the type who reads threads from the beginning but only the title, you may jump to a response and post something which has nothing to do with the last post which was the revival.

My apologies for having bunched up your knickers.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:35 AM

6,023 posts, read 13,991,638 times
I don't wear knickers

Old 07-02-2010, 02:36 PM

Apology accepted STT Resident

you mean you go commando rickers??! knickers are underwear in British slang

The saying goes "getting your knickers in a twist"

Old 07-02-2010, 04:39 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,748,491 times
Yeah, the thread is old, but I haven't seen anyone point this out:

Since when are late fees charged up until the day the check clears? I've never heard of that, and it's unreasonable. Once you deposit the check, you're done. It's paid (if it doesn't bounce). If the check takes several days to clear, too bad, it's not the tenant's problem.

Funny how a landlord criticizes the tenant for bouncing a check while writing a bunch of hot checks herself ("hot check" defined as writing a check when you don't have the money *in* your account, not *should be*, actually IN the account).

Old 07-02-2010, 05:14 PM

14,561 posts, read 22,957,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
Yeah, the thread is old, but I haven't seen anyone point this out:

Since when are late fees charged up until the day the check clears? I've never heard of that, and it's unreasonable. Once you deposit the check, you're done. It's paid (if it doesn't bounce). If the check takes several days to clear, too bad, it's not the tenant's problem.

Funny how a landlord criticizes the tenant for bouncing a check while writing a bunch of hot checks herself ("hot check" defined as writing a check when you don't have the money *in* your account, not *should be*, actually IN the account).
Excellent point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting