Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 05:20 PM

635 posts, read 754,324 times

Advertisements

So I have a duplex that I rent one side and live in the other. I've just about had it with these wild cats that think my flower beds are a litter box. I have called animal control on them, but since my neighbor feeds them, they are considered her cats and AC can't take them away (dumbest law ever).

So why am I complaining? Because the flower beds smell awful. I've hired someone to redo the flower beds and instead of going the cheaper route of putting mulch in, I have to go with rocks so the cats will stop spraying. In the end, I'm paying $200 more because I want these cats to not use the beds as a litter box.

One part of me wants to contact animal control and get them to fine this person. She's been asked to not take care of them but she doesn't listen to AC. The next step is she would have to appear in court and I would have to testify that she lets these cats roam free. She also lets her dog roam the neighborhood and he also goes in my yard to do his business. I'm so done.

What would you all do? Ignore her and just suck up the additional costs or call AC again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 05:23 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,238,344 times
Put out a trap at night and take them to Animal Control in the morning.

Just remembered what a friend of mine did with that problem. Put mouse traps around her garden. No more cats.

Old 03-16-2016, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Put out a trap at night and take them to Animal Control in the morning.

Just remembered what a friend of mine did with that problem. Put mouse traps around her garden. No more cats.
I may hate the cats but I am an animal lover and couldn't imagine hurting them. There will always be wild cats but if she didn't feed them, it would deter many away from my yard.

I've thought about putting traps out, but if I take them to a humane society, they will most likely die. It's just if she didn't feed them and fixed them, I wouldn't have this issue. It just started to get bad last year and now that we are getting warm temps, the spray is much stronger. If I can smell it I know my tenants can.

Old 03-16-2016, 06:11 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,238,344 times
Whats the difference between setting out a humane trap and taking them to animal control, or having animal control come out, other than you doing it will be quicker?

Old 03-16-2016, 06:24 PM

8,149 posts, read 8,348,424 times
I once had this problem and I planted cottoneaster bushes in my front garden bed near the door also a cactus garden in another place. The cats hated the dense bushes and prickley cactus. You might think about holly bushes and other dense, prickly plants that are attractive.

Old 03-16-2016, 06:53 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
If the neighbor who feeds the cats is the same person who is renting the other half of your duplex from you, kick her out.

When the weather stops freezing, get a scarecrow motion detector sprinkler. After getting wet a couple of times, the cats will go elsewhere.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:57 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
You'll never get the neighbor to stop feeding cats. People who do it believe the cats need them desperately. I've known many.

I'm with you, though, and wish they wouldn't.

So, do whatever you have to do that you feel okay about. I love the sprinkler motion detector idea. I'd also call AC again.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:01 AM

584 posts, read 1,935,864 times
cayenne pepper poweder cats hate it and they sell a power to spread that is made from the same pepper used in pepper spry dose not hurt them but they run from it

Old 03-17-2016, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If the neighbor who feeds the cats is the same person who is renting the other half of your duplex from you, kick her out.

When the weather stops freezing, get a scarecrow motion detector sprinkler. After getting wet a couple of times, the cats will go elsewhere.
No, the person feeding the cats is not my tenant. The flower beds border the house, so the smell carries into the house after a rain and it's awful.

The lawn guy started digging up the flower beds and it had me thinking...even if I just replace the mulch and put it on top of the previous mulch, there's still going to be spray left in the mulch from all these years the cats have been going in my yard. It just seems worth getting the rocks (it makes me feel better telling myself I will save money in the long run since rocks are permanent and mulch has to be replaced yearly).

I just know others can smell the cats and that's my problem. It's been in the 80s this week and the smell is 100x worse than in the winter months.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:45 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,315,916 times
This is just one example... there are less expensive and more expensive models too.

Amazon.com : Hoont™ Powerful Outdoor Water Jet Blaster Animal Pest Repeller - Motion Activated - Blasts Cats, Dogs, Squirrels, Birds, Deer, Etc. Out of Your Property : Patio, Lawn & Garden
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting