Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 12:04 PM

3 posts, read 24,285 times

Advertisements

Can anyone help on this.
When I was I signing my lease, my new landlord had me sign some other paperwork. This paperwork was not part of the lease, just additional agreement forms, which I signed. There were a few things like quite hours, visitor times and parking.

Now I guess I signed a piece of paper saying I would not park on the street where the apartment is. It is a small street. But afterwards I noticed that there is room for me to park on this street, as others who live on it park there as well. So I began parking on it, there are not any "no parking" signs and I don't block anyone in. It's a public street.

My landlord noticed this and showed me the paper I signed saying that no parking is allowed there.

My question is that does he have the authority to enforce this somehow? I mean it is a public street, does he even have the right to make that a condition of my living here?

Thanks a lot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 12:08 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,489,041 times
I would presume that since its a public street, he does indeed not have the right to enforce that, and that while you may have signed a document (which you SHOULD have read), it'd be quickly tossed out in court.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:38 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,396,950 times
Two things...

Addendum's and things like House Rules are often part of the "Lease" My leases or numbered and each page will say... page 3 of 11 or 11 of 11 just to avoid any confusion.

Public Parking... The rules of your city of county will determine parking regulations and generally the owner has no power.

The only case I've personally come across that was different involved a legal "In-Law" unit where part of the city variance granting permission for the owner to rent the unit specifically stated residents must park on site and not on the public road... the city inserted this clause in response to neighbor's complaints about neighborhood parking.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:04 PM

739 posts, read 2,176,519 times
Why don't you ask him about it and get his explanation. If you weren't aware of the clause because of your haste to sign the lease, he should want to give you a good reason to get your cooperation on this and other things in the future.

If you have legitimate concerns, like personal safety or how far you have to carry your groceries in the rain, etc., he might want to be a good guy and make some arrangements for your parking.

If you discover he's just being controlling, petty or a jerk about a public street, or if you find he has a constraint he's under like a variance, you can decide to do what's best for you based on that info. it's always better to talk and negotiate, at least until reason fails.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:42 PM

Thanks for the advice.

I did read the agreement before I signed, but I assumed the no parking on the street was because I would be constantly blocking somebody, or something like that. But then, afterwards, I noticed there is plenty of room for me to park, don't see why it is any of his business, that parking spot is just as much mine as it is anyone else.

Another thing, I am initially on a 3-month lease. Sort of a let's see if we all get along thing. Then after, sign longer lease if everything is cool. I like this place, but I guess there is nothing I can do to keep him from not re-granting me a longer lease after the 3 months is up, just because of the parking thing.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:24 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,187,698 times
Keep in mind that for a landlord, it's better to keep a tenant who pays the rent than have to look for a new tenant. There is a lot of paperwork and expense involved in getting a tenant.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:24 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,621,715 times
Default maybe this is why

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayman34 View Post
Thanks for the advice.

I did read the agreement before I signed, but I assumed the no parking on the street was because I would be constantly blocking somebody, or something like that. But then, afterwards, I noticed there is plenty of room for me to park, don't see why it is any of his business, that parking spot is just as much mine as it is anyone else.

Another thing, I am initially on a 3-month lease. Sort of a let's see if we all get along thing. Then after, sign longer lease if everything is cool. I like this place, but I guess there is nothing I can do to keep him from not re-granting me a longer lease after the 3 months is up, just because of the parking thing.
In one town a multi-family unit I managed was in a neighborhood and the city had a deal worked out with the owner to prevent street parking. It is also an effective means to prevent unauthorized tenants living in the unit. Did you say if you have assigned parking? Is the street smaller than usual? Is there a school nearby? Could be reasons to restrict the on street parking. Check with your city hall and see if this is coming from them or maybe a neighborhood association. Good luck.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:07 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,396,950 times
Good Point Seven about Home Owner's Associations... mine says no vehicle may be left overnight on the Associations Roads unless parked completely off the Paved Roadway.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:10 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,621,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Good Point Seven about Home Owner's Associations... mine says no vehicle may be left overnight on the Associations Roads unless parked completely off the Paved Roadway.
Thank you!

Old 02-11-2008, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
In one town a multi-family unit I managed was in a neighborhood and the city had a deal worked out with the owner to prevent street parking. It is also an effective means to prevent unauthorized tenants living in the unit. Did you say if you have assigned parking? Is the street smaller than usual? Is there a school nearby? Could be reasons to restrict the on street parking. Check with your city hall and see if this is coming from them or maybe a neighborhood association. Good luck.

I am pretty positive he doesn't have a deal with the city, maybe some informal deal with the neighbors. The street is smaller than normal, but where I am parking doesn't in any way block anybody. Other people, neighbors, park there sometimes as well. No school near by either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting